Cardinal Cover

These are discussions that contain lots of good info, so did not want to eliminate it. It has closed so we can take advantage of making the forum easier to find what you are looking for.
Judi
Cardinal Owners: 2007 30 TS

Cardinal Cover

Post by Judi »

I need so input if any of you members out there cover your Cardinal? And if so, does Forest River make a specific cover for the Cardinal? I want to keep ours looking nice, so the only choices are to cover it or rent a storage unit for $175/month. Thank you...
Judi
Full Timer Want-to-be
2007 TS30
2004 Chevy 2500HD 6.6L D'Max
Tim

Post by Tim »

Presently I have an ADCO cover our rig. Put it on in December and it will probably come off in early March when we hit the beach for a week or so. Think it provides some added protection from the elements, but there are those that will say that the corners of the rig sometimes get chaffed by the cover. During the remainder of the year it stays off as we like to get out at least once a month. The roof gets conditioned at least once yearly and I wax it once a year. Here in NC it is close to the same climate you have in the summer so I also have had to recently replace the holding tank and other roof vent covers since they were brittle from to much sun. Lastly, about $350.00 for a cover buys a lot of diesel or gas vice $175.00 per month for covered storage. Tim
Judi

Post by Judi »

I was looking at the ADCO online...but I am worried of the height of the Cardinal....the covers online look to me like they are for roofs without any slant....I wouldnt mind covering the redbird to keep it out of the weather...I have to agree that a $350 cover opposed to storage unit for $175/month is quite a bit of savings.....
Judi
Full Timer Want-to-be
2007 TS30
craig
Cardinal Owners: 08 Red Bird 35RLT

Post by craig »

Tim help me out here, how and or what do you do to "condition" the roof.
Thanks
Craig & Lynne
RAM3500 diesel
08 Red Bird 35RLT
Retired and Loven IT
Judi

Post by Judi »

Craig, I interpreted that to mean that he caucked the seams, etc. The Cardinal has such height and an pitched roof that I just didnt know if there was a maker of a cover for that type of roof. Judi
Judi
Full Timer Want-to-be
2007 TS30
Tim

Post by Tim »

Roof conditioning: I clean the roof with Simple Green or other cleaner that is rubber roof friendly and then after that dries apply a coat of Protect All Rubber Roof Treatment. As for covers, they, the ADCO are designed for the 5er slant and fit just fine. Just make sure you get one that is long enough for the exterior length of your 30TS.
rosey
Cardinal Owners: 07 Cardinal 34QS

Re: Cardinal Cover

Post by rosey »

Judi wrote:I need so input if any of you members out there cover your Cardinal? And if so, does Forest River make a specific cover for the Cardinal? I want to keep ours looking nice, so the only choices are to cover it or rent a storage unit for $175/month. Thank you...
My metal RV "carport" works great :thumbrt:
Gayle & Mike Rosenblatt "Rosey"
Our Furry Camping Kids; "Ting-Tang,Saylor,& Kai"
07 Cardinal 34QS;4 Slides;Optional Paint;Bigfoot
07 Chevy Silverado LT3 3500 Duramax Dually Longbed CC;Allison;Titan 62 Gal(Super Ser.)fuel tank
Olbird
Council, Asst. Admin
Cardinal Owners: 3850 RL

Post by Olbird »

A metal roof carport or building is the best way to go if you have the room and extra bucks to put one up. They are really becoming popular in the northwest.

The covers are hard to put on and if it is windy it takes two people, so if you are using a cover be carefull climbing to get the cover over the top.

I have found they don't last more the two seasons in windy areas and do rub the corners wearing the cover and the camper.

But anything you choose to do is better than leaving the bird outside with no protection.
George & Julie
3850 RL Full Paint w/ TrailAir Spring Ride System, Kodiak Disc Brakes, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Over 130 Mods

2022 Ford F450 DRW
Judi

Post by Judi »

I dont have the room for a metal carport...sure wish I did....glad to hear that they make covers for such height and slant....Even if it lasts only 2 seasons at $400 a cover, I figure that is alot cheaper than the storage unit. Ofcourse that storage unit would completely protect it but that is alot of "beans and rice" or "crawfish"! HA! Thanks alot everyone!
Judi
Full Timer Want-to-be
2007 TS30
tschmalz

Post by tschmalz »

I have used a cover on my last two trailers and currently have an ADCO, Tyvek on my Bird. I take it off during the winter because most of them are only water resistant and seem to trap moisture inside. This can lead to mold and mildew and that musty smell. Here in California the most damage to the Bird is caused by the intense summer sun. We use ours about twice a month and during the summer when its not on the road, its coverd.

The cover is kind of cumbersome so when its dry and not in use it goes in a plastic garbage can for storage. The Tyvek has a two or three year warranty and runs around $350.00 to 400.00 for one that covers a 30 to 34 ft. fiver, at Camping World.
markj
Cardinal Owners: Cardinal 31RKLE

Post by markj »

I built a 48' shop that had RV storage 4 years ago when I owned my 30' Class A. Then I put up a 12' Mezzanine floor which cut the storage to under 36' long. Then I bought a 33'11" Bird and when I got it home it was 6" too long to go in! Pretty dumb eh? Don't believe the brochures on rig length I guess!

Anyway, I am adding a metal lean-to within a year to cover the bird. Until then, feathers are getting wet!
2007 Cardinal 31RKLE
Hijacker 21K underfloor mount
Fifth Airborne pin box
2006 Ford F350 PSD extended cab
1990 Seaswirl fishing boat!
Kiki (the cat)
Judi

Post by Judi »

I know what ya mean about "getting wet"! That is why I am worried about getting it covered...it has been out without anything overhead since June.....I may have to bite the bullet and put her in the storage unit....all nice and toasty and warm! :(
Judi
Full Timer Want-to-be
2007 TS30
markj

Post by markj »

Yes, I'm one who likes to "protect" when I can, so I will--eventually. However, as we drive around various cities in residential areas, it's amazing how many rigs are left outside 24/7/365 a year! I mainly worry about leakage--sooner or later--but it also makes them look dull. I'm going to wax mine again today.

BTW, my dealer says I do NOT need to condition the roof--just keep in washed. I'm not sure I believe that, but I haven't conditioned it yet.

How many of you folks condition the roof vs. just keeping it clean?
2007 Cardinal 31RKLE
Fifth Airborne pin box
Kiki (the cat)
Judi

Post by Judi »

Just bought ours in June and havent cleaned it yet....but will do it before I put in storage....BTW, what kind of wax do you put on the bird? And how often do you wax it?
Judi
Full Timer Want-to-be
2007 TS30
markj

Post by markj »

Judi: I love to recommend this wax. I should (but don't) work for them. Starbrite Premium RV Polish with PTEF (like Teflon). www.starbrite.com.
I actually bought a full case of it & gave most of it as gifts to my family members. They love it too. It's much cheaper by the case. The bird looks brand new and very slick to the touch.

I truly love it. When I bought my last MH it was included. It goes on very easy, dries quick and wipes right off. I use it on my cars & RV. They recommend 2 coats. I waxed the bird a year ago after I bought it and it still beads up when washed. I'm giving it a second coat now--just because :lol: I waxed 1/3 of it yesterday after washing the roof/sides of the bird. Today I'll finish waxing it. And it's only 40-45 degrees here! Enough said.

If you want to PM me I can read you more off the bottle. Mark
2007 Cardinal 31RKLE
Fifth Airborne pin box
Kiki (the cat)