Spring Time

These are discussions that contain lots of good info, so did not want to eliminate it. It has closed so we can take advantage of making the forum easier to find what you are looking for.
Chief409
Mojave Desert
Cardinal Owners: 2007 30WBLE

Spring Time

Post by Chief409 »

I know we still have four weeks of winter left, however here on the Left Coast people are putting their motor homes and trailers on the road for the first time this season after having them in storage.

I'm going to tell of something that happened last Thursday.

I was in my company truck going north on CA 14 between Lancaster and Mojave when something about a motor-home pulling a trailer with a large OHV on a on-ramp caught my attention - the trailer was off the hitch and riding on the safety chains. As he pulled on the freeway I was slowing down till I was alongside and motioned for him to pull over, which he didn't do, instead he accelerated to 75 mph. I let him get ahead, turned on my yellow strobe and 4-way flashers and blocked traffic while flashing my headlights and motioning for him to pull over. After approximately 5 miles he finally pulled over, I pulled in behind him, and we met at the back of his motor-home. Looking at the hitch, the trailer was not only off the hitch - there was no ball. As I was leaving, he was chocking the wheels of the trailer.

This incident came out OK, but if the chains had broken while he was at freeway speed in heavy traffic it wouldn't have been pretty.

When you bring your rigs out, PLEASE do a through "Pre-Flight".
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
2012 F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 Diesel Dually, Crew Cab, LWB, 50 gal Transfer Flow toolbox/tank
2007 Cardinal 30WBLE, "the 'Bird", ONAN gen.
The more I see in my travels, the more I realize there is so much more to see.
RamMan3500

Post by RamMan3500 »

You are a good smaritan and probably saved a lot of property damage and possibly some lives. Good job. Don't know if I would have been as brave as you following a rig that dangerous at 75 mph!!

Point well made...gotta check our rigs before hitting the streets.
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Good job Jeff. Did he say why he was so reluctant to pulling over the first time?

Rob
Chief409
Mojave Desert
Cardinal Owners: 2007 30WBLE

Post by Chief409 »

I was giving the motor home PLENTY of room believe me! My concern was keeping the heavy holiday traffic back, most of the other drivers figured something was wrong and stayed behind me. We never had a discussion as to why he didn't stop, I was just glad he did before the chains broke.
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
2012 F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 Diesel Dually, Crew Cab, LWB, 50 gal Transfer Flow toolbox/tank
2007 Cardinal 30WBLE, "the 'Bird", ONAN gen.
The more I see in my travels, the more I realize there is so much more to see.
bayoubengal
Cardinal Owners: 2008 31RKLE

Post by bayoubengal »

I guess if you see something like this and just can't get him to pull over you could call 911. The state police will get his attention.

Lucky for him you were there and noticed the problem. This could have been a major disaster.
Vince & Kim
2011 Silverado 3500HD LTZ, SRW, D/A, Extended Cab, LB
2008 31RKLE
Nights Camped:
'02--74 '06--122 '10--24
'03--59 '07--47 '11--44
'04--83 '08--98 '12--76
'05--99 '09--84