What would you do?

These are discussions that contain lots of good info, so did not want to eliminate it. It has closed so we can take advantage of making the forum easier to find what you are looking for.
bayoubengal
Cardinal Owners: 2008 31RKLE

What would you do?

Post by bayoubengal »

I am trying to decide if I should allow the dealer to replace my vinyl floor. My concern is how they will do this. They say they will need to run shoe molding all around to hold the floor in place since they can't put it under the cabinets.

Not only am I concerned that now we are adding more weight, but how do they secure under slide? Is it going to be a problem down the road and start lifting up.

If you were in this situation, what would you do? Allow them to fix it or just tell them to order the camper again?
Vince & Kim
2011 Silverado 3500HD LTZ, SRW, D/A, Extended Cab, LB
2008 31RKLE
Nights Camped:
'02--74 '06--122 '10--24
'03--59 '07--47 '11--44
'04--83 '08--98 '12--76
'05--99 '09--84
Luizianna

Post by Luizianna »

Vince/Kim....I can give you the name and number of the rv tech we use. He worked for Berryland for 5 years before going out on his own...now he does overload work for them and some of the other dealers in our area. I'm sure if you called him he could answer your concernes.

Linda
craig
Cardinal Owners: 08 Red Bird 35RLT

Post by craig »

In reading between this post and the one you made on Saturday I am confused as to what you had in mind. I know my 08 has the wood floor only in the kitchen area. The area that the dinning room table takes up is carpet as it the bedroom. I guess what to do will depend on the factory or what they will pay for. Best of luck
Craig & Lynne
RAM3500 diesel
08 Red Bird 35RLT
Retired and Loven IT
Luizianna

Post by Luizianna »

We also have the wood planks in the kitchen/living area...carpet under sofa and table, linoleum in shower and toilet area, carpet in bed area. Carpet on steps..which I hate, but live with for the time being.
bayoubengal

Post by bayoubengal »

Yes Linda, we know of whom you speak. We used him when Berryland was in Pontchatoula.

Craig, in the rear kitchen models, they run the vinyl (wood plank or tile) from the kitchen to the door. Carpet is in the slide and normally under the chairs by the window. So only a strip down the middle is vinyl. I opted for the full vinyl, so I didn't get any carpet in living area except in slide. The bedroom is vinyl to the bed, with the open bath model they vinyl by shower and sink.

Hope this clears it up.
Vince & Kim
2008 31RKLE
Nights Camped:
'02--74 '06--122 '10--24
'03--59 '07--47 '11--44
'04--83 '08--98 '12--76
'05--99 '09--84
Olbird
Council, Asst. Admin
Cardinal Owners: 3850 RL

Post by Olbird »

What is the problem with the vinyl floor, if it has large bubbles in it from the glue not holding in all places it may lay down and stick over time when it becomes warm.

They are correct about the floor vinyl being laid first and everything installed on top during the building stage.
The only way it can be replaced is to put new vinyl in and use small shoe mounding around all the edges at the walls and cabinets to give a good looking custom fit. This is normal when building a home and if done correct will add to the appearance.
If you lift up the carpet flap on the slide you will see that the vinyl just ends with no special edge, as long as it is glued down good you will not have a problem.
Not knowing your floor plan if you have carpet that meets the vinyl they will have to remove the staples to slip the new vinyl under the carpet and add new staples, you will never see this was every done when done correct.
Added weight will not be a problem, five pounds at the most for the added molding.

Some requirements if they do a replacement.

1. Is the old vinyl being removed ( if it is not sticking to the floor and bubbling up it must be removed, do not glue new vinyl on loose vinyl).
2. Are they going to use a vinyl flooring installer (recommended and I think a must)
3. Is the person installing the new trim molding a finish carpenter?
George & Julie
3850 RL Full Paint w/ TrailAir Spring Ride System, Kodiak Disc Brakes, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Over 130 Mods

2022 Ford F450 DRW
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator
Cardinal Owners: 2016 3850RL Estate
Skype ID: Mike-Clay

Post by Mike Clay »

I had to have the vinyl replaced in our bathroom and door entry area when we bought ours it all looks good.
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
2016 3850RL Estate "Proto Grigio"
2019 Silverado 3500HD Dually D/A 4x4 LTZ
My dreams are too big for my wallet
Rallies attended - 32

Nights camping in 2013:159 2014:269 2015:Full Timers
bayoubengal

Post by bayoubengal »

George, I think my post was probably confusing. I have not even taken delivery of my unit yet. I had ordered wood plank(cost) flooring AND full vinyl in LR(no cost). Since you can't have both (which salesman didn't realize and ordered as such) caused a major confusion at the factory. Instead of making a phone call to clear it up they just installed the vinyl throughout the kitchen and LR (carpet only in slide area).

The dealer says they can add the wood plank, but I can see some areas that could cause a problem if they don't do it properly. Plus the plank is about 3/8-1/2" thick, which I am also concerned about being a problem.

I am still trying to decide if I should let the dealer install the wood plank. It would be layed directly over the vinyl, but my concern is what they will use for shoe moulding, will it match, and will it hold the floor down properly.

My options: keep the unit as is (vinyl) and hopefully get some money off, let them lay the plank, or order another unit and wait 8 weeks (which they seem really hesitant to do since I also added thermopane windows).

Sorry for the confusion and thank you for your helpful advice and experience.

Kim
Vince & Kim
2008 31RKLE
Nights Camped:
'02--74 '06--122 '10--24
'03--59 '07--47 '11--44
'04--83 '08--98 '12--76
'05--99 '09--84
Olbird
Council, Asst. Admin
Cardinal Owners: 3850 RL

Post by Olbird »

Hello Kim,

Just what you are saying is the reason the factory does not put two different floors together on the same level. ( Carpet and Plank) (Carpet and Vinyl) but never Plank and Vinyl because of the different thickness of the material.
They do make edging for the plank flooring but you will have to be carefull the slides do not rub the higher floor when closing.
George & Julie
3850 RL Full Paint w/ TrailAir Spring Ride System, Kodiak Disc Brakes, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Over 130 Mods

2022 Ford F450 DRW