PDI for new 36-2BH

These are discussions that contain lots of good info, so did not want to eliminate it. It has closed so we can take advantage of making the forum easier to find what you are looking for.
rvlost

PDI for new 36-2BH

Post by rvlost »

Hi,

Our new 36-2BH is scheduled for delivery on Saturday, 7/29. This is our first RV. We have downloaded 2 PDI checklists from rv.net. Is there anything specific to the Cardinal/36-2BH that we should be sure to check for? Any common problems?

After reading this forum we are probably going to buy new tires next week :)

Thanks for the advice!
Luizianna

Post by Luizianna »

The PDI you got from rv.net should just about cover it. Since there is a thread running about the day/night shades here, I would suggest you get the tech to loosen the tension in your shades. Might save you a headache later on.

Good Luck with your PDI...I know how excited you are!! The first time I saw our bird hooked up to our truck, I just stared at it and said to myself, "My God, what have we done?" My DH said the roads sure did shrink too!! Now they are all stretched back out to regular size...lol :lol:
JOE33060
Cardinal Owners: 2006 36-2BHLE

Post by JOE33060 »

You are going to love your new 5er. We picked ours up in april and except for the tires have had no problems. The first thing we did was stop at camping world and bought new sewer hoses. We got a Y connecter for the hoses also for the 2 bathrooms. The hose that came with it is about 5ft long.I think the best part of this new hobby is getting all the toys to go with it.
Good luck I hope your as happy with your 36-2BH as we are.
Joe and Cheryl
2006 36-2BHLE
2008 Ford F350 CC King Ranch
Shields
Cardinal Owners: 31 RK LE

Post by Shields »

I just stared at it and said to myself, "My God, what have we done?" My DH said the roads sure did shrink too!! Now they are all stretched back out to regular size.
I have pulled equipment trailers for years, and those are the exact words my wife and I said. The height is what confounds you, but you get over it.
Al and Nadine
Cardinal 31RK, 2006
2009 Dodge Cummins 3500 Dually.
Dorr, Michigan
Luizianna

Post by Luizianna »

Yeh the height is what gets ya. But it pulls so easy, I look back every now and then to make sure it's still back there.
JOE33060
Cardinal Owners: 2006 36-2BHLE

Post by JOE33060 »

So how did it go. You like your new unit?
Joe and Cheryl
2006 36-2BHLE
2008 Ford F350 CC King Ranch
Shields
Cardinal Owners: 31 RK LE

Post by Shields »

Sure! I have had a few misgivings about the workmanship in some areas, but that is our society now. But, I am capable of fixing most anything so it gives me a chance to complain and to get away fromt he business for a while.
I have stayed in too many hundred motels in my years, and it is so great to not have to look for motels, eat their bad food, etc. that this is a real treat.
And we can put our feet up and relax when we get there if we want. or go to concerts, or...about anything.

Towing is a snap. Just watch that the axles clear the corners and keep your speed down. I find it too easy to hit 75 or 80 and not realize it.
Al and Nadine
Cardinal 31RK, 2006
2009 Dodge Cummins 3500 Dually.
Dorr, Michigan
rvlost

Post by rvlost »

Update - Thanks for all your help and interest. Our unit was delivered promptly on July 29. The PDI went pretty well -- not sure if everything was really that good, or we were too ignorant to notice... We have been quite busy getting moved in and then heading west. We spent a week in Haymarket, VA and have now traveled to Council Grove, KS.

We felt fortunate not to have any serious issues with the unit, but as we have been living in it for 2 weeks now we have noticed a few minor things.

Good -
*we love the kids half bath and it has a lot of storage too
*the ceiling fan is great
*even with 100+ heat the a/c's worked well
*the central vac is suprisingly efficient
*the kids like the laundry chute and are actually using it

Not so Good -
* shower door creaks and doesn't open and close smoothly and doesn't seem like it will last a month
* shower has one tiny leak - not caulked properly
* not enough space in the kitchen
* dryer takes forever to dry anything (already thinking of removing w/d)
* many little "nicks" in wood and wallpaper - I know it is picky

On Aug 21 we will be heading to the Black Hills of SD -- if you see us anywhere along the way, we would be happy to trade a beer or margarita for any good advice :lol:
campswithcritters
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2005 34RLT
Skype ID: campswithcritters

Post by campswithcritters »

RVlost, What brand is your washer/dryer? I have an edgestar in my rig that dries by cold water condensation method (i.e. extremely slowly) and from my research majestic uses the same method. I have just ordered a Splendide vented model from camping world as I found out they use a tried and tested method using heat and forced air in the vented models. I hope to have it in by the end of the month and will report back here on it's performance. Currently we try to do wash on fair weather days and use clothes pins and hangars on the roof ladder for drying. We might be traveling along your route as we plan on Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, etc starting in late August, give us updates of where you are at in the "on the road again" forum during your travels if possible and have a safe trip!
Bruce & Sharon Full-time since Nov 06
Boogie, & Jack ("the critters")
rvlost

Post by rvlost »

Campswithcritters, our w/d is Majestic. I would love to hear if your new dryer works better. We are currently visiting my inlaws in KS and I think that we are going to take out the w/d and leave it there for awhile. With the kitchen so small, that extra closet space is too tempting. But if I change my mind we can put the w/d back in next time we go by. I have done laundry at the laundramats twice now and it wasn't bad at all -- took my laptop and aircard and enjoyed my quiet surfing time.
mancil

Post by mancil »

anybody had any problems with dealing with forest river?

I'e had a night mare of problems. rear springs collapsed on the way to Maine, majestic stackable dryer never worked, water leaks everywhere,
no-fuss rained water into the underneath,dining table doesn't fold up,
gas water heater doesn;t ignite,brakes not adjusted (ruined a tire), awning
does not retract.

we love the layout of the trailer, but forest river is not responsive and
I have had to deal with contacting individual suppliers to get things
corrected. I bought a whole unit not pieces.

PDI was never performed---every water fitting leaked.

this is a high end product 37RL
Luizianna

Post by Luizianna »

mancil...sounds like you have more of a dealer problem there. No PDI was done? Sorry to hear about your problems. Have you checked into calling an rv repair service that does warranty work? That could be an option.
mancil

Post by mancil »

Most mobile repair services will not do warranty work, because as I have experienced, forest river does not pay real quick. I submitted a bill in
March and just go paid in August.
Future Fulltimers
Cardinal Owners: 2006 30TS

Post by Future Fulltimers »

mancil wrote:PDI was never performed
Sounds like you need to report the dealer to Forest River since they are paid to preform this service. Maybe reporting the dealer to the BBB. Bet that will get some attention. :shock: Either way I would be in the manager's office demanding action.
Wayne & Peggy Williamson
Rocky
GoodSam Lifetime Members
2006 30TS
2007 Silverado 3500 Classic 6.6L D'Max
AirSafe 25k hitch
mancil

Post by mancil »

Let this be a lesson. don't buy an RV away from home. I live in Va and
I bought in Fla. A little difficult to get back there for service. Most other dealers will not work on Rv's they did not sell.