1999 Cardinal 38LX

These are discussions that contain lots of good info, so did not want to eliminate it. It has closed so we can take advantage of making the forum easier to find what you are looking for.
mroller

1999 Cardinal 38LX

Post by mroller »

Hey! Great site!

I'm glad someone in rv.net found me and pointed me here. :)

I'm considering a 1999 Cardinal 38LX with three slides. My DW and I will be traveling full time for work, possibly in places that can get very cold in the winter (ie. Michigan, Montana, etc). This unit does have a winter package.

Does anyone have info. on this unit? Dry weights? R-insulation values for walls, roof, floor? (I have info on current units, but not on '99 units).

Does anyone have experience with this unit? Likes, dislikes?

We really like the Cardinal brand, and are especially impressed with the details and durability of the units (this '99 looks just as good as the '07s we've seen).

Thanks for any help you can give. Hope to see you all down the road! :)
campswithcritters
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2005 34RLT
Skype ID: campswithcritters

Post by campswithcritters »

Welcome mroller. I saw your post on trailerlife and also pointed you here. Sorry I don't have any info on your unit, however for weights it is Cardinal tradition to put empty weight info on a sticker in a kitchen cabinet. Traditionally that cabinet would be about eye level and the sticker either on the cabinet door itself or the back wall of the cabinet. Max weight info usually on the outside sticker street side (LH) near the front or over the propane access door.
I would think the r-values of the insulation in an artic package unit would be pretty good even back in 99 as the brand has been known for quality for several years, however having done some fairly cool camping myself I recommend using the foil covered bubble wrap sheets (home depot stuff) inside any unused windows and all large windows at night, it really helps save propane. Also consider adding a heat strip to the AC if possible for when you are not paying the electric.
Most of us here really love our "redbirds" and this site is like a family. Hope you do buy the unit and get many years enjoyment out of it. If you do, check out our upcoming rallies, we'd love to see you at one or more of them.
Bruce & Sharon Full-time since Nov 06
Boogie, & Jack ("the critters")
Shields
Cardinal Owners: 31 RK LE

Post by Shields »

I think I have the winter package, but I won't lay a bet on it! But, last spring we took a trip to Texas and Colorado, altitude about 8200 ft. Of course it was 70 the week before. :D We pulled into our daugter's drive, parked, a little muddy, comfortable in long sleeved shirt, hooked up the power, filled the tank, sat down in the recliner and watched it start snowing. Had 8 inches by the next am and got down to 20 degrees. :cry: BUT, the tank heaters kept the tanks good, a little chilly in the am, about 68 in the trailer.
Thinking the worst was over, but wrong again, it got down to 14 degrees the next night. Tanks were fine, but couldn't fill the fresh water as the fill hose was frozen up. By noon, we could and said "the worst is over". Boy were we wrong, the next 2 nights got down to 9 degrees. The furnace ran full time and kept the trailer temp about 64, sleepable and ok. Same filling problems on the fresh water, but the galley line froze up and couldn't drain. by noon we could and the problem really was the galley drain leaked and we had a termination valve on the end and that is where it froze. The second night we left the termination valve open and let it drip on the ground until we had good stalactites build up and seal it off, but easily taken care of.
So, there are some things that could be better. The side walls are only 2" thick and need help in the winter.
The suggestion on the window insualation is good. Before we travel again I am going to add blue board or something to the back wall as that is only 2" also. The slides I haven't figured out but they are very thin. The slides have virtually no insulation on the floor and I need to figure out that problem. And I need to insulate that frsh water line where it is wide open to the elements.

So, do I have a winter pack I still don't know altho I have tank heaters and that may be what constitutes their winter pack.
Some of our Michigan winters can be pretty rough. What part of the state?

sorry to be so long winded.

Al
Al and Nadine
Cardinal 31RK, 2006
2009 Dodge Cummins 3500 Dually.
Dorr, Michigan