2ND AC UNIT

These are discussions that contain lots of good info, so did not want to eliminate it. It has closed so we can take advantage of making the forum easier to find what you are looking for.
JOE33060
Cardinal Owners: 2006 36-2BHLE

2ND AC UNIT

Post by JOE33060 »

I thought I saw this before but cant find it. I am having a 2nd ac unit installed in the front room of our 36-2BH next week. When I told they service guy that I wanted the penguin 13500 he seemed to think i was crazy ,like it would be too much. Has anyone else had this done. Also when i bought the 5er I was told it was wired for a second ac. Does that mean just the power or is it hooked to the thermostate and duct work.
Thanks again for any help.

Im also having the PRODIGY brake controller put in at the same time. Everyone is telling me this will make a hugh differance.
Joe and Cheryl
2006 36-2BHLE
2008 Ford F350 CC King Ranch
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator
Cardinal Owners: 2016 3850RL Estate
Skype ID: Mike-Clay

Post by Mike Clay »

It usually means that there is mount and electric for it. No duct work just comes out the bottom of the air conditioner. The thermostat will be at the bottom of the unit.

PRODIGY is a great break controller, in my book any ways.
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
2016 3850RL Estate "Proto Grigio"
2019 Silverado 3500HD Dually D/A 4x4 LTZ
My dreams are too big for my wallet
Rallies attended - 32

Nights camping in 2013:159 2014:269 2015:Full Timers
Luizianna

Post by Luizianna »

We have the prodigy...DH really likes it. We did a lot of research before we bought and the prodigy won hands down!
jennyt

Post by jennyt »

We don't have the 2nd A/C unit, although there are some weekends when we really wished we did. When its just us we can set the a/c low enough that we are comfortable, but when we have people sleeping in the living area it freezes them to death!!

We have the Prodigy also.
campswithcritters
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2005 34RLT
Skype ID: campswithcritters

Post by campswithcritters »

I just added the 2nd A/C to mine, the thing is just too long for the 15000 btu to cool down quickly after a hot day on the road. I added a 13,500 btu coleman power saver. I can only report on its performance at the end of this month when I take back on the road.
Bruce & Sharon Full-time since Nov 06
Boogie, & Jack ("the critters")
JOE33060

Post by JOE33060 »

Thanks for all the input. I thought the unit was only wired but the guy said it was ducted also. Im glad im going with the 13500 BTU because I like it cold,the wife can get extra blankets. Thanks again now Im sure Im getting what I want.
Joe and Cheryl
2006 36-2BHLE
Diesel Dave 04
Cardinal Owners: 2007 36-2BH

Re: 2ND AC UNIT

Post by Diesel Dave 04 »

JOE33060 wrote:I thought I saw this before but cant find it. I am having a 2nd ac unit installed in the front room of our 36-2BH next week. When I told they service guy that I wanted the penguin 13500 he seemed to think i was crazy ,like it would be too much. Has anyone else had this done. Also when i bought the 5er I was told it was wired for a second ac. Does that mean just the power or is it hooked to the thermostate and duct work.
Thanks again for any help.

Im also having the PRODIGY brake controller put in at the same time. Everyone is telling me this will make a hugh differance.
I installed one in my unit i have now (paradise point) and it had the duct running past the opening you just had to cut a hole in the 2X4 on the right and into the duct.
My new unit I just ordered last night :D 36-2BH has the same the duct runs right past so i think i can do the same. the hard thing is I use a 2nd stat so the wife and I can have are own zone upstairs and fishing a wire in a camper is tough.
Diesel Dave 04
Cardinal Owners: 2007 36-2BH

Post by Diesel Dave 04 »

JOE33060 wrote:Thanks for all the input. I thought the unit was only wired but the guy said it was ducted also. Im glad im going with the 13500 BTU because I like it cold,the wife can get extra blankets. Thanks again now Im sure Im getting what I want.
Joe, can you let me know for sure if the 36-2BH is duct to the 2nd A/C? with the extra cold air outlet all the way by the front past the opening I would think it would be.
Thanks Dave
JOE33060

Post by JOE33060 »

Dave my trailer was only framed and wired. I bought penquin 13.5 ac unit and it works really good. The only problem is its loud. So we keep both units on during the day and after the sun goes down we can normally turn off the new ac. Also when it was installed the bolts were too short so they had to make new ones. My 36-2BHLE has the aluminum roof truss option and i think it is thicker.
Joe and Cheryl
2006 36-2BHLE