Kenda Tires

These are discussions that contain lots of good info, so did not want to eliminate it. It has closed so we can take advantage of making the forum easier to find what you are looking for.
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator
Cardinal Owners: 2016 3850RL Estate
Skype ID: Mike-Clay

Post by Mike Clay »

They are Michelin XPS Rib LT 235/85R 16 Load Range E I paid 764.00 mounted and balanced (thats taking off the 50.00 they gave me for the Loadstars. I had these same tires on my 30' Seahawk after the Goodyear's started blowing out. Never had a problem with them.

http://www.michelinrvtires.com/michelin ... ad=XPS+RIB
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
2016 3850RL Estate "Proto Grigio"
2019 Silverado 3500HD Dually D/A 4x4 LTZ
My dreams are too big for my wallet
Rallies attended - 32

Nights camping in 2013:159 2014:269 2015:Full Timers
Future Fulltimers
Cardinal Owners: 2006 30TS

Post by Future Fulltimers »

Replaced one of mine with a Cooper. Seems that no other dealer had a tire in stock that was 10 ply.

http://www.coopertire.com/us/en/Product ... ruck+Tires

$130.95 each incl tax/ mount & balance
Wayne & Peggy Williamson
Rocky
GoodSam Lifetime Members
2006 30TS
2007 Silverado 3500 Classic 6.6L D'Max
AirSafe 25k hitch
DougnDawn
Cardinal Owners: 2006 29 RK LE

Post by DougnDawn »

I see your replacing with the LT vs ST. Is this from reading the other forum or from personnal experience? Doug
Doug & Dawn
2006 29 RK LE
Gordon Reid

Post by Gordon Reid »

DougnDawn wrote:I see your replacing with the LT vs ST. Is this from reading the other forum or from personnal experience? Doug
Good question. I know that when I had a tread separation on one of my Apache tires, the tire store only had LT tires and suggested that that would work just as well. I put it as the spare.

I have been told, and don't know if it's true that ST tires are supposed to resist ultraviolet rays better and are designed to sit for long periods of time in one position.
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator
Cardinal Owners: 2016 3850RL Estate
Skype ID: Mike-Clay

Post by Mike Clay »

DougnDawn wrote:I see your replacing with the LT vs ST. Is this from reading the other forum or from personnal experience? Doug
I ran the Michelin's on my last 5er for over 25k miles. One year we took a 6k mile trip and the second day out I noticed that one of my tires was running about 18 degrees warmer then the rest (I have an inferred thermometer I use all the time). Stopped the third day out and repacked the wheel bearings that did not help. Never could find the problem until a week after I got home and was crawling under the 5er and noticed that one set of leaf springs were broke. That one tire was carrying a lot of the weight from that side of the 5er for over 6k.

I had Goodyear's on it before that and two of them came apart. In fact Goodyear bought me the Michelin's. :D To make a long story longer yes I guess it is just personal preference.
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
2016 3850RL Estate "Proto Grigio"
2019 Silverado 3500HD Dually D/A 4x4 LTZ
My dreams are too big for my wallet
Rallies attended - 32

Nights camping in 2013:159 2014:269 2015:Full Timers
yogi154

Post by yogi154 »

I sent Mable an e-mail about the Kenda Tires.E-mail forwarded to
Roger Anel at Kenda .
He wants me to call him So we can discuss the situation????
Must be a problem with my or their tires Dot 7Y9J ANA 3203
Will call on Monday and get back
Wayne
yogi154

Post by yogi154 »

My e-mail forwarded to a Roger Ansel at Kenda . Call today told him I lost 45 psi in less than 2 weeks , that's in ALL TIRES. Told me to check the valve stems , I checked every thing with soapy water in a spray bottle no leaks.
Wants pictures of Dot ### and sizes of tires and a sales recipet of unit
Didn't want to talk about the Illinois Attorney General yet Will send him all the stuff soon Guess I need to learn how to send a picture
Will let you all know what happens ?????????????
Future Fulltimers

I emailed Kenda and this is the reply I recieved:

Dear Sir,

Your question has been forwarded to me. The Tire/DOT combination you sent below is working well and is not one that some people mistakenly think has been recalled. Thank you for contacting us and if you have any other questions please feel free to contact me again.

Sincerely,

Roger Ansel

Kenda USA
Warranty Department
7095 Americana Parkway
Reynoldsburg, OH 43068
Phone 1 800 225 4714 Ext. 231
Phone 1 614 866 9803
Fax 1 614 866 9805

The information I sent him ;
Karrier Loadstar
ST235/80R16
DOT 7YHJANB

Considering whether or not to replace them for peace of mind.
Wayne & Peggy Williamson
Rocky
GoodSam Lifetime Members
2006 30TS
AirSafe 25k hitch
Future Fulltimers

I am looking into investing in a tire pressure monitoring system. The one at Camping World seems a little pricy. :shock:
There is another one by Doran Manufacturing that is about half the cost but with fewer bells & whistles. It installs be replacing the valve stem cap. Easy to install & easy for others to uninstall.
Not sure which to go with but I feel something needs to be done.
Wayne & Peggy Williamson
Rocky
GoodSam Lifetime Members
2006 30TS
AirSafe 25k hitch
Banjo

Post by Banjo »

Can't believe Kenda tires are still being put on these trailers. They must get them pretty cheap. I had lost only one tire since 1953, and that was on a car. Then I bought a Cardinal that had Kenda tires. The first one blew at 700 miles near Guthrie Ok. The spare had a big bulge.....the SPARE!!! Put Michelin XPS Rib on. Have never had a failure with Michelin. Luck?? Probably, as I know people who had a Michelin blow. I am knocking on wood as I type this.........
Future Fulltimers

Banjo wrote: Then I bought a Cardinal that had Kenda tires. The first one blew at 700 miles near Guthrie Ok. The spare had a big bulge.....the SPARE!!!
The more posts I read about these tires the less I want to have anything to do with them.

Just checked prices on Michelin LTX M/S (they don't carry XPS), $712.96 for a set of 4 plus tax. :shock: Seems kinda pricy to me.
Think I'll stick with Cooper, $131 each with tax. :lol:
Wayne & Peggy Williamson
Rocky
GoodSam Lifetime Members
2006 30TS
AirSafe 25k hitch
yogi154

Post by yogi154 »

Wayne I'm also worried about these Tires , New Bird in the yard in two weeks lost half the tirs pressure . I priced Mich $ 220 a tire Cooper $ 115 a tire. Tire Rep told me both brands will dry rot before wear out . will look around some more.
Good Luck Tire shopping
Wayne
Future Fulltimers

In looking through the current issue of "Trailer Life" mag, I found this brand:
http://maxxis.com
I know they make good motorcycle tires but I'm not sure about trailer tires. There are NO dealers in Florida so if I was to order them I would have to pay additional for shipping/ mounting & balancing.

While searching the internet for tire facts I found this:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/tiretech.jsp
The information is good although you may have to sift throught the ads.
Based on the searching I've done so far, it seems that an "ST" tire only comes up to a load range D (8 ply). While a "LT" tire goes up to a load range F (12 ply). One message board I was reading suggested that ST rated tires have a stiffer sidewall and that is why they are not suitable for truck use. I haven't found a company web site that states this.
I have also noticed on several message boards, people have remarked that large trailer manufacturers ARE using "LT" rated tires. It also seems that many tire manufactures have stopped making "ST" tires and using "LT" tires as replacements.
Tire Tech also has a review page where you can read reviews about different tires.
According to Tire Tech,
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/ ... techid=138
tires "age" out at between 5-10 years based on amount of usage and load carried. The thing most notable in extending tire age life is care & use. Another reason to go RVing. :lol: :wink: :D :lol:
Wayne & Peggy Williamson
Rocky
GoodSam Lifetime Members
2006 30TS
AirSafe 25k hitch
kimmee

Kenda tires 3 blow outs

Post by kimmee »

We just returned from a trip to Key West and had 1 blow out on the way down and 2 blow outs on the way back. One blow out caused considerable damage to the side of the RV. We contacted our dealer when we had the 1st blow out. He told us to bring in the receipt and the dot # when we returned. Imagine his surprise when we returned with three receipts, and 4 different tires on th RV. We had to buy what we could on the road. Yes, we were a little nervous on the last 800 mile stretch of the trip knowing we still had one tire that did not blow. But we made it. Our dealer informed us that Kenda would be replacing all 4 tires and reimburse us for the cost of the three tires and have the damage to the RV repaired. At this time we are waiting....for the return of our RV so we can get back on the road.
Kimmee
2005 Cardinal 35'
Future Fulltimers

I sent a letter to Kenda & Forest River after replacing all four tires (one blowout & one mysterious flat). Seemed like every time we went somewhere we had tire problems. :evil: I ask them for reimbursement even though they claim these tires are working well for them. We'll see what happens.
Wayne & Peggy Williamson
Rocky
GoodSam Lifetime Members
2006 30TS
AirSafe 25k hitch