Near Disaster!

These are discussions that contain lots of good info, so did not want to eliminate it. It has closed so we can take advantage of making the forum easier to find what you are looking for.
CritterRenter

Near Disaster!

Post by CritterRenter »

I just installed a Washer/Dryer. Found out, almost too late, that my 33LE washer drain goes to the black tank! Thought it went to the grey tank. Sure am glad I was drinking a cold beer tonight...
whew... :oops:
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator
Cardinal Owners: 2016 3850RL Estate
Skype ID: Mike-Clay

Post by Mike Clay »

Oh man now that could have been a mess. You could have had your own geyser in your bathroom. Now I can kind of understand some bathroom sinks being plumbed into the black tank but the washer drain? :shock: Mr. engineer let me take you RVing
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
2016 3850RL Estate "Proto Grigio"
2019 Silverado 3500HD Dually D/A 4x4 LTZ
My dreams are too big for my wallet
Rallies attended - 32

Nights camping in 2013:159 2014:269 2015:Full Timers
jennyt

Post by jennyt »

Thank goodness you found that out sooner rather than later :? That could have been nasty :roll: So how does that work? You have to be hooked up and leave the black valve open when you run the washer? Maybe I'm not being the sharpest knife in the drawer on this one :shock: :lol:
CritterRenter

Post by CritterRenter »

I'll probably open the valve after the washer drains once, just to make sure to flush the tank out.
TwoPiggs

Post by TwoPiggs »

Thanks for finding this Ernie - we've talked about a W/D and I'll remember it drains to the black if we put one in.

See - I knew you weren't really staring at the A/C light all the time.... :lol:

What brand W/D did you buy - any other problems, like vent - fit, etc?

Jeff
CritterRenter

Post by CritterRenter »

It's an Edgestar Model SW5L40D. Barely fit through the door trim, but plenty of room inside of the closet. It uses a condensation process for drying, and takes forever. 2 hours to dry 1 pair of jeans, and still a little damp along the seams, but hangable. Bruce (CWC) just bought a Splendide, I think, that uses real heat for drying. About the same price, and should dry a lot faster. I used a louvered vent from a local RV supply, about $15.
campswithcritters
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2005 34RLT
Skype ID: campswithcritters

Post by campswithcritters »

TwoPiggs wrote:Thanks for finding this Ernie - we've talked about a W/D and I'll remember it drains to the black if we put one in.

See - I knew you weren't really staring at the A/C light all the time.... :lol:

What brand W/D did you buy - any other problems, like vent - fit, etc?

Jeff
Jeff, Having sold (at give-away price) the edgestar to Ernie and now using a Splendide 2100S (camping world item), buy only a heated and vented unit. The splendide is working well for Sharon & I and uses heat drying. We followed instructions (for a change :D ) and this one really works. Wash cycle 30 to 45 minutes depending on selected cycle, dry cycle at 90 minutes and the easy iron button actually left us no wrinkle results. Will be fine for 2 to 4 people who are willing to do a load a day as the loads must be small. Non vented and non heat dry units are not worth the investment. 8)
Bruce & Sharon Full-time since Nov 06
Boogie, & Jack ("the critters")
campswithcritters
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2005 34RLT
Skype ID: campswithcritters

Re: Near Disaster!

Post by campswithcritters »

CritterRenter wrote:I just installed a Washer/Dryer. Found out, almost too late, that my 33LE washer drain goes to the black tank! Thought it went to the grey tank. Sure am glad I was drinking a cold beer tonight...
:idea: Might want to consider a bit of foam hole filler around the drain-pipe to drain-tube connection to keep out odors from the wash room! :wink:
Bruce & Sharon Full-time since Nov 06
Boogie, & Jack ("the critters")
TwoPiggs

Post by TwoPiggs »

[quote="campswithcritters"Non vented and non heat dry units are not worth the investment. 8)[/quote]

That's probably what Ernie is saying.... :roll: :lol:

We had a pretty full laundry bag after our last 2-week venture. I think we'll consider a W/D unit eventually and it's good to learn now what might be best.

Jeff
CritterRenter

Re: Near Disaster!

Post by CritterRenter »

campswithcritters wrote:
CritterRenter wrote:I just installed a Washer/Dryer. Found out, almost too late, that my 33LE washer drain goes to the black tank! Thought it went to the grey tank. Sure am glad I was drinking a cold beer tonight...
:idea: Might want to consider a bit of foam hole filler around the drain-pipe to drain-tube connection to keep out odors from the wash room! :wink:
This is good advice Jeff, I'll think of something to plug up the air gap. Right now, I'm using an old shop towel (red rag) and it seems to be working well. Spraying a little foo foo on the rag don't hurt none either. :roll: Thinking of drilling the original cap to the size of the drain tube.
CritterRenter

Post by CritterRenter »

This small front loading washer uses a lot less soap. I've mopped the floor a couple of times. Now if you think that darned light in the A/C is funny, I'm watching the washer too! :mrgreen: