Fans

These are discussions that contain lots of good info, so did not want to eliminate it. It has closed so we can take advantage of making the forum easier to find what you are looking for.
tlittle2

Fans

Post by tlittle2 »

My used '98 28RK came with a SHURflo Comfort Air™ Gold Series fan in the "great room" ceiling. I can only assume it was not the original fan, because it looks brand new. I don't have a receipt - my rig had NO papers when I bought it (Forest River parts provided me with copies of the original papers and manuals for a moderate fee.)

The fan makes serious noise no matter what speed I run it on, both in exhaust and intake direction. It's loudness increases with motor speed. It's a motor noise, a wobbly noise, not an air noise. I took off the blade and ran the motor without the blade and it was nearly silent.

I haven't removed the motor yet, because I'll have to cut wires as the hole the motor wires go through is too small to pass the connectors.

The only advice I could get from the SHURflo factory was "send us the motor and the blade and we'll take a look at it."

I assume the motor is shot, bad bearings. I don't think it can be lubricated, although the drive shaft bearing is visible. I don't know if SHURflo would replace it under warranty (I have no proof of its age) and I don't know if a replacement motor would be better than replacing the entire unit. As my grandmother used to say, "I'm so confused."

And ideas? Any experience with SHURflo? What kind of ceiling vent fans have you got any what do you recommend? I'd call Click and Clack but they'd tell me to bring it into the shop....like both SHURflo distributors I spoke with.

Thanks
campswithcritters
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2005 34RLT
Skype ID: campswithcritters

Post by campswithcritters »

tlittle, I have a factory installed fantastic fan. It is not as noisy as some units out there, but does have disadvantages. This one is thermostatically controlled which I like (auto vent door opening too) and it moves a lot of air. Problem is that it also has a rain sensor to shut it down during showers (which does work), however this feature leaves me with no forced vent ability during rain showers. Cannot be fitted with a max-air cover as the vent lid (motorized) opens too far to fit inside one. For non-raining conditions I would recommend it as a good replacement for you, however I plan to replace mine with the teardrop shaped unit with the fan mounted upside down in the rear so I can have a vent during rain. I recommend checking camping world catalog or online for options. Luckily almost all can be replaced with any newer items as size is pretty much standardized at 14X14 inch.
Bruce & Sharon Full-time since Nov 06
Boogie, & Jack ("the critters")
campswithcritters
exempt member

Took a little of my own advice there and did some more research and decided to keep the fantastic fan and install Max-air's newly available cover for it that will allow full opening and in the rain operation.
CritterRenter

Re: Fans

Post by CritterRenter »

tlittle2 wrote:My used '98 28RK came with a SHURflo Comfort Air™ Gold Series fan in the "great room" ceiling.
If the motor works quietly, without the blades, I would think it is the bearings. If you can see the shaft bearing, try a little WD-40. Not a permanant fix, but if that's the problem, you may be able to fix it locally at an electric shop.
Future Fulltimers
Cardinal Owners: 2006 30TS

Post by Future Fulltimers »

campswithcritters wrote:tlittle, I have a factory installed fantastic fan. ... This one is thermostatically controlled which I like (auto vent door opening too) and it moves a lot of air.
Does your vent door ever stick closed?
Wayne & Peggy Williamson
Rocky
GoodSam Lifetime Members
2006 30TS
2007 Silverado 3500 Classic 6.6L D'Max
AirSafe 25k hitch
Double D's
Cardinal Owners: 2013 3675 Cardinal 5th Wheel

Post by Double D's »

Ours does.. Only seems to do that when it is hot outside tho. Hubby is going to get up there one of these days and try to see if there is glue residue that is making that happin. On a less sunny day we don't have a problem. It also happened to the regular vent cover in our previous travel trailer.
http://www.ddbalfanz.blogspot.com/

Double D's - Dennis and Donna

2013 Cardinal 3675- The "Double D Retreat"
Trail Air Pin Box and Suspension
2007 Chevy Dually 3500, Duramax
Rallies - 20
Days out in 2015- 145
Days out in 2014 - 71
Days out in 2013 - 187 Alaska
campswithcritters
exempt member

Future Fulltimers wrote:
campswithcritters wrote:tlittle, I have a factory installed fantastic fan. ... This one is thermostatically controlled which I like (auto vent door opening too) and it moves a lot of air.
Yes it does if not used almost daily, I have tried silicone grease and a few other things with no luck. I notice it does it more often after a sunny day and am hoping the cover will help with that. If the cover is in stock I will give a report on performance etc end of October during next scheduled outing.
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator
Cardinal Owners: 2016 3850RL Estate
Skype ID: Mike-Clay

Post by Mike Clay »

mine sticks if not used on hot days also. Have to turn it on then run over and help it get past the first part. Then all is well again until the next trip.
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
2016 3850RL Estate "Proto Grigio"
2019 Silverado 3500HD Dually D/A 4x4 LTZ
My dreams are too big for my wallet
Rallies attended - 32

Nights camping in 2013:159 2014:269 2015:Full Timers