Need help with MAJOR water leaks!!!!!!!

These are discussions that contain lots of good info, so did not want to eliminate it. It has closed so we can take advantage of making the forum easier to find what you are looking for.
thebartrums

Need help with MAJOR water leaks!!!!!!!

Post by thebartrums »

Sorry about the length of this...I am the proud owner of a brand new 2006 Cardinal fifthwheel, 34TS bought in December 2005, in VA. The first night in my coach, I felt RAIN drops drip down on my forehead. My husband felt it also. After investigating, we found that both our bedroom king-size slide out leaked, and our entertainment slideout leaked! and yes, we have awning toppers over all of our slideouts. I took it to the dealer, who had it for over 10 weeks. They replaced the seals - and also put in a booth (we had preordered) and replaced a day/nigh shade. Mid February I went to pick the coach up. It was not ready (well they called me to tell me it was ready!) Naturally - there was no rain in our area for a while. I took the coach to DOVER for the race in June. Yep, you guessed it - water, water everywhere, it decided to rain. My living room floor at the entertainment center slide had a 2'X1' water pond. Whatever they did did not work. With my busy schedule I was unable to take it back. My husband is living in it for our business in Virginia. I contacted the dealer and told them I was going to bring it in, they could not keep it. I went the beginning of September, I let them keep it for three full days. I was told that the water leaks were fixed. I am awaiting more parts to be replaced (like the awning that had a rip in it!) Well it is raining again - and guess what? My little coach is becoming a water logged pond my bedroom slide and the entertainment center......The dealership wanted to let me know that my warranty was running out. I am going to take it back again (3rd time) for the same thing. Most of my issues from the 1st trip to the dealer were not resolved. I am getting no support from the finance company GE Moneybank - they told me that they would repossess it and my problems would go away! I am concerned about my family's health - about mold, and the damage that has been done by the water. What can I do? - is there a lemon law in Virginia? Cardinal has not been very helpful....and that is very disappointing. I can't take it any more. I want another coach from the dealership - but they won't go for it......Any ideas or guidence would be greatly appreciated.

2006 Cardinal 34TS - towed by a 2002 Super Duty Ford Dually Diesel (Last of the 7.3's)
bbgun

Post by bbgun »

Very sorry to hear about your situation. :cry:

Have you tried Better Business Bureau? Good luck to you.
Luizianna

Post by Luizianna »

Man I hate to hear your having those kind of problems. I would think the dealer would get behind you and help resolve this issue, but then it sounds like the dealer is at least half your problem. I think there is another post on here with email addresses and phone numbers to Forest River. Maybe you could take it back to the manufacturer to get fixed. I'll see if I can find the numbers for you. It might also be worth your time to see if there is an independent RV tech in your area that does warranty work.

Thanks to jenny for posting these in another thread!

Product Mgr: Roy
Admin. Nancy Nigh(Asst) (574) 389-3068 nnigh@forestriverinc.com
Warranty: Ron Summers (574) 295-1791 rsummers@forestriverinc.com
Warranty: Walt Williamson (574) 295-1791 wwilliamson@forestriverinc.com
Parts & Service Andy Houser rhouser@forestriverinc.com
Parts: Darrell Christenson (574) 389-9305
Service: Chad Peters (574) 389-3231 cpeters@forestriverinc.com
ddygulski@forestriverinc.com
Future Fulltimers
Cardinal Owners: 2006 30TS

Post by Future Fulltimers »

I hate to say it, but perhaps its Attorney Time!!! :twisted:
Wayne & Peggy Williamson
Rocky
GoodSam Lifetime Members
2006 30TS
2007 Silverado 3500 Classic 6.6L D'Max
AirSafe 25k hitch
thebartrums

What I have tried.....to resolve the MAJOR water leak!

Post by thebartrums »

I have spoke to Forrest River - Ron Betts twice....in the last conversation his exact words were "what do you expect me to do?" then the phone went dead. Forest river could stand behind their product. I have tried to get a tech to come - but they do not want to - (called three) because the dealer has worked on it and they do not want to pick up and fix the mess that others have left........I have even called a dealer close to my home in Baltimore (they are very good) but they will not do warranty work - because of the money issue....I called some dealers in Manassas, Va close to where the coach is - and they said they only take 1 new client a month (and that month it was not my turn!) Well tomorrow I am going to call Forrest River, and I am going to all the dealer. At the end of the week, I am going to see an attorney. There has to be some type of lemon law for an RV. I really do love my cardinal! The layout is perfect for my family of 5.
Wish me luck - As far as a beautiful coach, Forest Rivr has the product. they are so elegant.............I just purchased a LEMON!!!!!!!
Olbird
Council, Asst. Admin
Cardinal Owners: 3850 RL

Leak Problem

Post by Olbird »

Try looking for the leak yourself, take the hose and turn it on low and start working the hose around the seals. Move on to the roof and all joints, screws, etc., take a piece of paper and open the slide onto the paper and start moving it around feeling for loose areas between the seal.

Check the slides to make sure they are adjusted to seal against the walls before ram is completely extended.

All these steps should be known by a good repair shop, no way seals are bad that fast something out of ajustment, get FR to recommend a repair shop to deal with.
I wish I was close to you I know we could fine the leak.
Good Luck George:
George & Julie
3850 RL Full Paint w/ TrailAir Spring Ride System, Kodiak Disc Brakes, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Over 130 Mods

2022 Ford F450 DRW
CritterRenter

Post by CritterRenter »

Water leaks can be hard to find. The garden hose doesn't always reveal the leak. I have chased water leaks on helicopters, hose it down and no leaks. Then it rains and leaks again. It can be frustrating to say the least!
I found the leak on my bird's slide out was the seal on the inside. The metal strip that mounts the seal to the slide was bent.
Awfahey
Cardinal Owners: Deceased Cardinal owner

Water leaks

Post by Awfahey »

to the 'thebartrums', I have dealt with FR on several occasions and have had NO problems with them not helping. The first thing that I will say is that you must state the problem calmly and precisely and they will do what ever they can to help.

I was in contact this morning with Rod Batts at FR. I passed on your concerns and posts and he sent me the following email.

Quote:

" What do you expect me to do?" is something I never say. That is very unprofessional, and I wouldn't want to be treated like that. As I inform everyone, we will work with any service center. Whether it be a Forest River dealer or not, as long as they will work with us. We do stand behind our product. If they would like to call me, I would be more that willing to help them. 574-206-7609.

Please give him a call and explain the situation and I'm sure he will try to help. Just give them the chance to correct the problem to your satisfaction.

Al Fahey
aka - RVAdmin
2005 HD2500 GMC, D/A
2005 Cardinal 30TS
Judy & Al
Future Fulltimers
Cardinal Owners: 2006 30TS

Post by Future Fulltimers »

You said the dealer ship installed new seals. Has anyone tried adjusting the slides. Maybe there is something (piece of electrical wire) sitting on top of the slide. May sound simple but sometimes the simplest thing can be the cure.
Wayne & Peggy Williamson
Rocky
GoodSam Lifetime Members
2006 30TS
2007 Silverado 3500 Classic 6.6L D'Max
AirSafe 25k hitch
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator
Cardinal Owners: 2016 3850RL Estate
Skype ID: Mike-Clay

Post by Mike Clay »

Has anybody checked the roof? Plus it looks like you now have Robs undivided attention so go for it. Plus it does not matter if your warranty is running out or not, this is an unsolved problem that existed during the warranty.
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
2016 3850RL Estate "Proto Grigio"
2019 Silverado 3500HD Dually D/A 4x4 LTZ
My dreams are too big for my wallet
Rallies attended - 32

Nights camping in 2013:159 2014:269 2015:Full Timers
Olbird
Council, Asst. Admin

Slide leaking

Post by Olbird »

I agree with Al, I have talked to Rob a few times and he has always given me what I needed. I do my own work and he sends me the parts needed to my home with no questions asked.

I had some paint peeling around the screws on my fender skirts, he is sending new painted skirts as we speak.

Now, I agree this is a major problem that must be fixed, allow Rob and FR to work it out. Keep in mind they have a lot of dealers out there that will rip you and FR off, so look for a dealer that is willing to work with you and FR to get your rig fixed. It is not nomal for a rig to leak as bad as you say yours is.

Now if you think FR is going to give you a new unit and that is the only thing that will make you happy by all means you best go and retain your lawer. I have bought many RV's over the years and factory replacements just does not happen. I have seen repairs completed back at the factory to units by replacing complete outside walls with updated colors because they could not match the colors years later, but never seen them replace a defected unit with a new unit even if the cost is higher for repairs then building new.

Best to work it out, or take your lost and move on.

Good luck George:
George & Julie
3850 RL Full Paint w/ TrailAir Spring Ride System, Kodiak Disc Brakes, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Over 130 Mods

2022 Ford F450 DRW
rvlost

Post by rvlost »

Dear Bartrums,

I am sorry to hear of your water problems. Sorry, but I have to ask, who is your dealer? McGeorges?
thebartrums

Update.......about the water leak......

Post by thebartrums »

First of all , yes, the vehicle was being services at McGeorge's....and now the rest of the story....

After taking the coach in in September again for the issues - major water leak - solar panel, awning rip - day/night shade issues, fantastic fan not working..I contacted them the end of October to find out if the parts were in. ...I was disheartened to find out that NOT ONE THING THAT NEEDED TO BE ORDERED to address the ISSUES WITH MY COACH was ordered by McGeorge's........NOTHING AT ALL WAS FIXED.......So, i am no further now than I was TWO months ago!

I wish the RV Shop in Manassas could look at my unit - but they told me that they were not taking any new customers - SO I AM STUCK WITH MCGEORGE's.......I have tried SEVERAL AVENUES - such as an independent technician - and they would not touch the unit - because McGeorge's touched it first.

I am now speaking with Greg McGeorge - he did say that he was going to work with me because FORREST RIVER is a stickler with warranty end dates.......I am going to send a certified letter to FORREST RIVER, McGeorge's RV and the finance company GEMoneyBank (they said that they could not help me) They want the payment EVERY MONTH - They should assist me with this dispute.

I love my unit.... :D And I just want it fixed correctly so I can enjoy it!!!!
Awfahey
Cardinal Owners: Deceased Cardinal owner

Water leaks

Post by Awfahey »

See my previous post

Quote:

to the 'thebartrums', I have dealt with FR on several occasions and have had NO problems with them not helping. The first thing that I will say is that you must state the problem calmly and precisely and they will do what ever they can to help.

I was in contact this morning with Rod Batts at FR. I passed on your concerns and posts and he sent me the following email.

Quote:

" What do you expect me to do?" is something I never say. That is very unprofessional, and I wouldn't want to be treated like that. As I inform everyone, we will work with any service center. Whether it be a Forest River dealer or not, as long as they will work with us. We do stand behind our product. If they would like to call me, I would be more that willing to help them. 574-206-7609.

Please give him a call and explain the situation and I'm sure he will try to help. Just give them the chance to correct the problem to your satisfaction.

Al Fahey

Have you contacted Rod Batts Yet? If not I would strongly suggest that you do. He has extended his ear. I would appreciate it if you would let me know what he says. You Must give him a chance.... However, at this point it appears that you have a problem with the dealer NOT FR. So let's see what can be done thought the proper channels.
2005 HD2500 GMC, D/A
2005 Cardinal 30TS
Judy & Al
Olbird
Council, Asst. Admin

Post by Olbird »

I agree with Al, I also talked to Rod at FR about comments made that he was no help. I can tell you that Rod has sent replacement parts to my house with no questions asked, just ready to please my needs.
But a nice e-mail and phone call goes a long way.

As for the loan company helping, you better slap yourself and wake up, you made the loan, you purchased it from the dealer of your choice and if you do not pay the note the bank will gladly take it off your hands.

Just be ready to purchase anything else you want for a few years with cash.

Don't take what I am saying wrong, your unit should be repaired and you should not be having the problems with the dealer or your unit but you are never going to get the results your looking for by writing nasty letters to people you need on your side.

George:
George & Julie

2022 Ford F450 DRW