Cardinal Dealers-UpState NY

These are discussions that contain lots of good info, so did not want to eliminate it. It has closed so we can take advantage of making the forum easier to find what you are looking for.
Paul & Diana Niggli

Cardinal Dealers-UpState NY

Post by Paul & Diana Niggli »

Does anyone know of a Cardinal Dealer in or around up-state NY? I would like to look into an LE 36-2BH.
ratherbcamping

Re: Cardinal Dealers-UpState NY

Post by ratherbcamping »

We just bought our Cardinal 33TSLE at Caps & Campers RV in Cicero, New York. (It is just north of Syracuse). Their web site is http://www.capsandcampersrvs.com/pages/contact.htm

They did a wonderful job prepping our fiver -- we had absolutely no problems on our maiden voyage.
Paul & Diana Niggli

Hi Joice & Mike,

Thanks for replying.

Do they have a good inventory of Cardinals on their lot? Just by their name and website, they seem to be low volume dealer. (sometimes that can be a good thing) Do you feel you got a fair deal? I'll give them a call. Thanks.
ratherbcamping

Post by ratherbcamping »

Caps & Campers are definitely a small dealer -- so I would call first to see if they have the model you are interested in. We are not sure how we feel about the deal we got -- we had a trade-in and sometimes it's difficult to tell. My husband feels we did okay.

I can tell you one thing for certain -- they did one heck of a job prepping the trailer for us. We picked it up in the early a.m. on Friday Oct. 6th and did a very brief PDI. (I know, we should probably have been thorough) They let us park the two trailers side by side and it took three hours to transfer our belongings -- and we thought we had really cleaned stuff out of the Wildcat before hauling it to Cicero! As soon as we were finished, we headed to Fish Creek Campground for our first weekend trip. (Columbus Day)

We arrived at about 4:30, chose a site, and set up. We were very impressed that we had absolutely no problems. The biggest glitch was when I went to turn on the lights and had nothing -- the Wildcat we had was completely 12 Volt, so all lights worked at all times. On the Cardinal, some lights are 12 Volt, and some are 110, so we had to figure out which ones would work. Simple, once we realized the problem. Hot water worked fine, shower, sinks, lighting system, etc., etc.

On our return home, we checked out the AC unit and other items that only work on 110. All seems to be in order.

We are both thrilled with the new trailer and plan to take it out again this weekend before winterizing. My husband (who rarely sits still) can't believe how comfortable we are in the Cardinal. He said he never realized before just how uncomfortable the seating was in the Wildcat! Ours is an '06 -- which suits us fine as they changed a few things in the '07 that we don't care for as well. We got a floor plan and color scheme we just love. :)

We especially enjoyed sitting in the rocker / recliners looking out the huge back window at the moon shining on Square Pond.

Another great dealer (but even farther from you) is Vermont Country Campers in Montpelier, Vermont. Our Wildcat came from them and we were very happy with both the salesperson and the service department. They are larger than Caps & Campers and also carry the Cardinals. We looked at the same model back in July on their lot.

Good luck!

Joyce
Paul & Diana Niggli

Thanks for the info. I'm also going to try that dealer in Vermont. I would like to see a 36-2BH if possible for the layout but owning a Cedar Creek presently, we know the quality, fit and finnish of the Cardinal. We started out in a tent 15 years ago, went to a pop-up, then a 26' TT then a 32'TT and now the 38' 5th wheel. All were bought "off the lot". Now we know exactly what we want in a 5th wheel and will have to order it from the factory. I knew what I wanted in a truck and I ordered it that same way.
We had some inherent design problems with our Cedar Creek plumbing, a couple of electrical additions, and a few other things I added myself in the first month we owned it. The second month we did 9400 miles in 33 days and 24 states. The rig performed flawlessly.
Our only major problem happened this season. With about 20,000 miles on the camper, we blew out a spring shackle on the way to North Pole Camping Resort near Lake Placid, NY. The two right side tires were touching each other. I replaced the broken shackle at the CG and waited to change the rest when I got home. The other three shackles were almost ready to brake. I attribute the shackle failure to the tires not being ballanced from the factory, for 20,000 miles, as the shackle that broke first was with the tire that was most out of ballance. (3 3/4 oz)
I also noticed tire wear on the inside tread only, rear axle being the worst. After I replaced the shackles and before I ballanced the tires, I turned all the tires on the wheels so the worn tread is on the outside. Now the tires are wearing evenly again.
So get your tires ballanced and check your shackles regularly after a few years. if you notice abnormal tire wear or you can see the bolt holes protruding from under the bolt heads, change the shackles immediately if not sooner, and install a set of greasable shackles. They are twice the thickness of stock nongreasable ones.

Happy Trails!

Thanks, Paul
ratherbcamping

Post by ratherbcamping »

The web site for Vermont Country Campers is http://www.vermontcountrycampers.com/.

They actually list their inventory online, which is really neat. Right now they have a 362BHLE in stock. Is that the one you're interested in?

Joyce
[/url]
Anson

upstate ny

Post by Anson »

you may want to look at Meyers RV near rochester, they have alot to choose from and also Albany RV is a forest river,that is where we bought our Cardinal
rvlost

Post by rvlost »

Albany RV is also RVDirect (http:/www.rvdirect.com). Not sure how you feel about RVDirect, but it is hard to beat their prices -- you should check it out at least for a frame of reference.
lynlou14760

Cardinal in Upstate, New York

Post by lynlou14760 »

Hi, folks! We're from Olean, New York, and just spent the week-end in Rochester on Halloween. We also just got back from Lime Lake Marine/RV in Delevan, on Rt 16. They have a few Cardinal's on the lot there and we're hoping to make a deal on one this week. Also, if you're not in a huge hurry, don't forget about the Hamburg RV Show this coming January! My wife and I will be there whether or not we buy right now because it's always a lot of fun just to look.

The phone number for Lime Lake is 1-800-427-7894, and the guy we talked to is Russ Morgan. Good luck!

Lynn and Louie