Sewage odor when showering

These are discussions that contain lots of good info, so did not want to eliminate it. It has closed so we can take advantage of making the forum easier to find what you are looking for.
jerry
Cardinal Owners: 06 30' WBLE

Sewage odor when showering

Post by jerry »

Just returned from camping trip and once again we experienced a strong sewage odor. This seems to occur when the grey water valve is open and we shower with the bathroom fan on ( to get rid of the heat and humidity). Surely the shower has a p-trap in the drain. Has anyone else had this problem. I know that I could simply shut the grey water valve but I've had trailers before and didn't have this problem. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks, Jerry

06 30ft Cardinal WBLE fw
03 3/4 Ford PS
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Well, I personally leave all valves closed then empty the tank when it gets 3/4 full. In regard to the p-trap I don't thing the shower or the toilet have traps. Of course I could be wrong. The only traps I've seen have been in the sinks. If you leave the grey water tank valve open are you remembering to close the valve when you dump the other tanks? Just a thought.

Rob
bop11
Cardinal Owners: 2010 3150 RL
Skype ID: bill.bopra

Post by bop11 »

Jerry,
I agree with Rob. With the valves open and the exhaust fan running the sewer gas is being pulled right up from the city sewer into your unit. Next time try closing all of the dump valves and see if the smell doesn't return!
Let us know.
Bill & Penny
2010 3150 RL "The Bucket List Inn
Nights out in 2013/67 and have put put 8566 miles on the Bucket List Inn
Nights out in 2014 63
Night out in 2015. 88
Nights out so far in 2016. 58
More fun to come!
Double D's
Cardinal Owners: 2013 3675 Cardinal 5th Wheel

Post by Double D's »

We had the same problem with ours the first time we took it and hooked up to the sewer... Hubby closed the valve, and no more probs.
http://www.ddbalfanz.blogspot.com/

Double D's - Dennis and Donna

2013 Cardinal 3675- The "Double D Retreat"
Trail Air Pin Box and Suspension
2007 Chevy Dually 3500, Duramax
Rallies - 20
Days out in 2015- 145
Days out in 2014 - 71
Days out in 2013 - 187 Alaska
campswithcritters
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2005 34RLT
Skype ID: campswithcritters

Post by campswithcritters »

I agree with Rob & Cathy. I never leave the valves open, both to prevent the smell you describe as well as to prevent cross-contamination of the tanks. I always allow the tanks to get a sizeable quantity of waste and dump them one at a time starting with the black water and using the 2 greys to wash out the hose.
Bruce
Bruce & Sharon Full-time since Nov 06
Boogie, & Jack ("the critters")
Luizianna

Post by Luizianna »

I have to agree with the others... When we did our PDI and the tech was explaining how to use everything, he said to leave all valves closed even at a full hookup site, and to dump black first, then the gray and galley to help wash out the hose, then DH backflushes for a very long time if time permits.

He leaves a few gallons of water in the black tank and I add water softener and a chemical pack, let that slosh around while driving home. We have never had an odor problem.