"Build Duration" ??

These are discussions that contain lots of good info, so did not want to eliminate it. It has closed so we can take advantage of making the forum easier to find what you are looking for.
rosey
Cardinal Owners: 07 Cardinal 34QS

"Build Duration" ??

Post by rosey »

My new bird build date was suppost to have been yesterday.......woke up this morning thinking that it must tale longer than 1 day to put together a 36 Ft 5er with 4 slides..............anyone know???
Gayle & Mike Rosenblatt "Rosey"
Our Furry Camping Kids; "Ting-Tang,Saylor,& Kai"
07 Cardinal 34QS;4 Slides;Optional Paint;Bigfoot
07 Chevy Silverado LT3 3500 Duramax Dually Longbed CC;Allison;Titan 62 Gal(Super Ser.)fuel tank
Double D's
Cardinal Owners: 2013 3675 Cardinal 5th Wheel

Post by Double D's »

Rosey, it took us 3½ months to get ours, special order! We ordered it March 21 and didn't get it till June 7th. We ordered things like thermopane windows, gelcoat, wiring for 2nd air, King pin stabilizer and air bags, etc. I could hardly WAIT for ours to get here! Try to have patience, I know it is really hard! I had all the 'stuff' to furnish/decorate it when it finally did come in. We LOVE ours! Good luck! Kinda like waiting for that 'first baby' to get born.. HA! Donna
http://www.ddbalfanz.blogspot.com/

Double D's - Dennis and Donna

2013 Cardinal 3675- The "Double D Retreat"
Trail Air Pin Box and Suspension
2007 Chevy Dually 3500, Duramax
Rallies - 20
Days out in 2015- 145
Days out in 2014 - 71
Days out in 2013 - 187 Alaska
Olbird
Council, Asst. Admin
Cardinal Owners: 3850 RL

Post by Olbird »

I know I am going to scare a lot of people but Brent the Factory sales rep. just told me a few weeks ago 3-4 days to build a unit. Sometimes it will sit with missing items outside awaiting new inventory of the missing items. Most all components are built and only assembly is required in the three to four days. Some units leave the factory for third party work, paint option, generator option and few others.

They also try build the same size units during one run time like only 37's for 6-7 days than 29's for so many days.

George:
George & Julie
3850 RL Full Paint w/ TrailAir Spring Ride System, Kodiak Disc Brakes, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Over 130 Mods

2022 Ford F450 DRW
Double D's
Cardinal Owners: 2013 3675 Cardinal 5th Wheel

Post by Double D's »

If I remember correctly, George, you are right. We went to see the factory operation before we ordered ours. Also, the 'build time' is fairly short, (unless you special order some things to be installed) but then it goes to another building (behind the factory??) for the loading in of curtains, cornices, carpets, beds, basically all the 'soft stuff' that needs to be put in. Perhaps any final adjustments on things. Don't know how long that stuff takes, but for a special order, I would think they REALLY need to read the spec sheet to make sure they get all that is ordered. I would bet a 'stock unit' would be a 'whip through it' item to build and possibly take less time. The 'soft stuff' would get too dirty, dusty if it was installed in the same area that the unit was built in. We did not get to see the 'soft stuff' operation, as it was nearly shift change time. They were running 3 shifts, (if I remember correctly) in March when we were there.
All in all, we are REALLY glad we had to wait so darn long, as there were SO many things that we wanted that were not available in an 'off the shelf' unit. 10' refrig, bedside nightstand, and all of the other things that were not stock items, (gelcoat, wiring for second AC, thermopane windows.)
It IS really amazing that it takes such a short time to build one of these things! There were areas of the factory where the cabinets, counters, bathroom fixtures, etc were all waiting to be put into the correct unit. And MANY people working on each unit at a time. There were maybe 8 or 10 units on the line, with at least that many people working on each unit. Inspectors walking from unit to unit, going over each one with a very critical eye, marking flaws or missed areas that needed to be repaired or window goop removed or more nail holes that needed to be filled, etc. We were quite impressed with the whole operation! We were very glad we made the long trek to see it! Donna
http://www.ddbalfanz.blogspot.com/

Double D's - Dennis and Donna

2013 Cardinal 3675- The "Double D Retreat"
Trail Air Pin Box and Suspension
2007 Chevy Dually 3500, Duramax
Rallies - 20
Days out in 2015- 145
Days out in 2014 - 71
Days out in 2013 - 187 Alaska
Luizianna

Post by Luizianna »

Hey Rosey....is the new Bird in the home nest yet??? Keep us posted!!
rosey

Post by rosey »

Hi there Virgil, Linda!!

NO we haven't picked up our Bird yet... :? called my salesman the other day and he was having trouble getting hold of his contact guy at the factory to find out a ETA to his dealer lot. I've been told that Forest River is behind on their deliveries because of the severe weather a few weeks ago in the mid-west. Apparantly some of the independant transport people couldn't get to work for several days. Well DW and I are anxiously awaiting that call!!.....and praying that the weather cooperates with us here on the east coast when we finally make the trek down to North Carolina (from Virginia) to pick that new Bird up. Did pick up our new Silverado Duramax Diesel Dually a few weeks ago and want to test her out pulling that new Bird :D !!
07 Chevy Silverado LT3 3500 Duramax Dually Longbed CC;Allison;Titan 62 Gal(Super Ser.)fuel tank
Don Wilson
Region Leader Admin
Cardinal Owners: 2019 3350

Build Duration

Post by Don Wilson »

Hi Rosey

I hope you get your new Bird soon. It seems like it takes forever when you are waiting.

The build time of three or four days seems fast, you hope they are striving for quality not quantity when they are building your trailer!!

Don
We don't know a stranger only friends we haven't met yet!

Don
2019 Cardinal 3350RLX Luxury Edition
2014 Dodge 3500 2WD DRW Long Bed

2023 Nights Camped 33
2022 Nights Camped 24
2021 Nights Camped 46

Rallies Attended - 50
Frog - 5
rosey

Post by rosey »

Thanks Don.........ordered the 5er back in October so hopefully we'll get it soon!! :roll: