Exterior Storage Doors

These are discussions that contain lots of good info, so did not want to eliminate it. It has closed so we can take advantage of making the forum easier to find what you are looking for.
TF89

Exterior Storage Doors

Post by TF89 »

I am the owner of a 36BHLE fifth wheel trailor. On our first trip about a year ago the front exterior stroage door on the curb side opened into the foot of the awning bracket. When my unit went for warranty work, the dealer put a metal plate with a rubber stopper on the door. I looked at the 07 models, and the same door flips upwards. Dealer did not seem to want to replace the door after being advised of the design change. Has anyone had the same problem?
Luizianna

Post by Luizianna »

Hi TF89 and welcome to the club. We have an 05 model and our storage doors open from the bottom. The entry door side has a pneumatic arm to hold the door up and open. The back side opens the same way but just has the plastic clip thing.

I don't think it's just an 07 design. I really wouldn't think a dealer doing a repair would be obligated to change the original design. That might be a mod you could make for yourself tho. I'm thinking maybe the doors were hinged on the side to keep the door from coming open while traveling down the road. We lock our doors and double check them before getting on the road. Would hate to see our stuff flying out behind us!
Shields
Cardinal Owners: 31 RK LE

Post by Shields »

We had the same problem and the dealer replaced the door on warranty. And he put a bumper on it to prevent it again. Not a well thought out design
Al and Nadine
Cardinal 31RK, 2006
2009 Dodge Cummins 3500 Dually.
Dorr, Michigan
Wadcutter
Cardinal Owners: fifth wheel

Post by Wadcutter »

Our 30WBLE had a hole in the door when it was still on the dealer's lot. Someone had opened it too far against the awning bracket. When we bought it the dealer replaced the door. Same thing when friends of ours bought their 29RKLE. He just got his home and was loading it for his first trip out when the wind caught his door and punched another hole in his. He put a rubber door stopper on the door where it meets the bracket.
I didn't like the look of that set up. I bought a couple of yards of 1" webbing strap at Walmart (83 cents a yard), determined how far open I wanted the door to swing, then cut the webbing that length. I mounted one end to the door frame using one of the screws on the top. The other end I mounted on the door using the screw on the locking lever. Now the door will only swing open 90 deg, no way it can hit the awning bracket, it's out of the way when the door is open, and the webbing doesn't mar the inside of the door like chain would swinging around. I ended up installing the same webbing on the other side door even tho there is nothing on that side for the door to hit. I just didn't want the door swinging open too far.

[/img]ImageImageImage
TwoFeds
Cardinal Owners: 2007 Cardinal 30LE

Post by TwoFeds »

We had the same problem with ours, but the dealer said that Forest River wouldn't cover it under warranty. The dealer said he'd repair it and put some kind of bumper on it. I think it was a bad design.
Terri & Danny
2010 Dodge Ram 3500/Shortbed Diesel
2007 Cardinal 30le
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

I personally like the door hinging on the side rather that the top. It works great for storing items I use all the time.
Rob
Brent & Susan
Cardinal Owners: 06 31RKLE

Post by Brent & Susan »

Neat idea Rob. :D How did you find screws that short that hold that well? :shock: I would love to try that with my rear stab. jack handles they are ALWAYS in the way.

PS i love all the ideas on this forum lots of new things learned on here.
Brent
Brent & Susan
06 31RKLE
02 Chevy crew 6.0
4 fur kids Shotzi, Sierra, Charile mini schauzers and Andy giant schnauzer
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Thanks Brent. I found the clips at Ace Hardware an I just used the screws that came with the clips. It doesn't take much to secure the handles.

I know what you mean about this forum. There are a lot of wise and clever people here.

Rob