fifth wheel search-30ts?-31rkle?

These are discussions that contain lots of good info, so did not want to eliminate it. It has closed so we can take advantage of making the forum easier to find what you are looking for.
bufallo bobby

fifth wheel search-30ts?-31rkle?

Post by bufallo bobby »

We have pretty much narrowed our fifth wheel search down to 2006 cardinal 30ts, 2007 cardinal 31rkle, and a challenger model, somewhat favoring cardinal 30ts. Have 2 concerns-lack of storage space in kitchen area, and discussion of tire problems seen here. Any comments from 30 ts owners would be appreciated. Would it be wise to try to get dealer to replace tires in deal?
bop11
Cardinal Owners: 2010 3150 RL
Skype ID: bill.bopra

Post by bop11 »

bufallo bobby,
Welcome to the forum. In the future I hope to see you as a Cardinal owner!
We bought our 2006 30ts last June and so far are very happy with it. Although when we travel it's normally been the 2 of us the lack of storage room in the kitchen area has not been an issue. In fact this is the first time I've ever heard this comment. We use the cupboards over the table to store light food stuffs. (bread, chips, ect.)
The tires however are an area for concern. I have E-mailed Roger from Kenda tire and he assured me that the tires on our 5r should be fine provided I adjust the pressure to the max before the tires heat up. He said any pressure that heat creates the tires are designed to handle.
Had we known about the tire issues prior to purchasing the Cardinal I would have ask the dealer to swap them out for a good set of American made and even paid the difference.
The tire issue would not have been a deal breaker though because we really like this model and this brand.
Bill & Penny
2010 3150 RL "The Bucket List Inn
Nights out in 2013/67 and have put put 8566 miles on the Bucket List Inn
Nights out in 2014 63
Night out in 2015. 88
Nights out so far in 2016. 58
More fun to come!
bbgun

Post by bbgun »

Hi there! We also have the 30TS model and I have never had an issue with not having enough space. My husband and I are waiting on his retirement to do some major traveling but until then we take short 3-4 days at a time with the bird and have had NO problems. We keep food items above the kitchen area, plates above the table, we usually eat out maybe 1 or 2 meals. Also we enjoy shopping at other grocery stores once we arrive. I was mostly concerned as to where to stick my "garbage" I hate having it exposed. I have a little RED bucket that fits under my sink nicely. You can see photos of some of our RED BIRDS at the Yahoo cardinal group site. Good luck with your decision. Each floor plan is unique and to each his own..as for us 30TS'ers we couldn't be MORE HAPPIER. :lol: Only complaint I WANNA GO MORE :!: :D
PS My husband read TONS of info on the tires. Just to set his mind at ease we replaced all of our tires. The tires would not of been a deciding factor for us because WE LOVED the floor plan and ordered it to our specifications.GOOD LUCK and Welcome to the club~
spessman@hotmail.com

30TS is GREAT

Post by spessman@hotmail.com »

30ts is the way to go, Our favorite feature is the back window. So may sights we back in and have a great view. The extra slide is a must, I think you will QUICKLY regret not haveing it for the price. As for the storage, I could see it POSSIBLE being a issue if you are full timing, but the cabinets along the back and over the couch and table hold LOTS of stuff. Also not the bad TV angle.

Spessman@hotmail.com if you want to speak further!
Luizianna

Post by Luizianna »

Hello spessman and welcome to the club. One of our favorite featurs is the large back window. I love it when we can back up to a nice big lake.

We look forward to reading about your rv'ing adventures. Be sure to check out the club flags!
Shields
Cardinal Owners: 31 RK LE

Post by Shields »

Well, we have the 31rkle and am not familiar with the 30ts. But, we have storage galore as my wife cannot fill up every hole, and she is an expert at that. TV angle could be better, but we don't go camping to watch tv. That is my chance to turn off the phone, read a book, sit outside, etc. and leave the tv at home. My wife enjoys the rear kitchen and the increased counter space, the pantry (now that it is toughened up) and the availability to the fridge when eating on the road.
Al and Nadine
Cardinal 31RK, 2006
2009 Dodge Cummins 3500 Dually.
Dorr, Michigan
bbgun

Post by bbgun »

Ha! :wink: No offense and certainly "to each their own" 8) but I LOVE all the features of today's technology. Life without the Garmin :shock: (our traveling days would be numbered) life without a cell phone :( (Fatherinlaw died while of all places we were at Camping World buying new toys for our fiver)must travel with laptop and hookup where there is cable :lol: until we can do this FULL TIME when then we will buy a sattelite dish and use our generator in more out of the way places. I LOVE all the modern conveinces :
PS As far as eating on the road, we turn our table sideways, and easily pass through to the fridge. Not a problem. One thing for certain we ALL LOVE our BIRDS I like all the floor plans because each one serves a different need or purpose. Length played a role in our decision we are new to rving and spoiled by today's technology!
rosey
Cardinal Owners: 07 Cardinal 34QS

Post by rosey »

DW and I are waiting for our dealer to call us any day now to pick up our new 34qs..our first Cardinal 5er :D and we are "chomping at the bit". Currently have a Fleetwood Prowler TT figure that life is too short to wait for a "maybe some day"............37 footer with 4 slides....had to trade my Silverado 1/2 ton for a Silverado Duramax Dually to pull her...picking that up Monday....oh well se la ve!!!
Gayle & Mike Rosenblatt "Rosey"
Our Furry Camping Kids; "Ting-Tang,Saylor,& Kai"
07 Cardinal 34QS;4 Slides;Optional Paint;Bigfoot
07 Chevy Silverado LT3 3500 Duramax Dually Longbed CC;Allison;Titan 62 Gal(Super Ser.)fuel tank
bbgun

Post by bbgun »

Alright! I bet you are excited. I know how you feel about moving up. We are new at this rving. We started out with a 24 foot fifth wheel, and knew that it was way too small for our needs! Congratulations..welcome to the club :)
Future Fulltimers
Cardinal Owners: 2006 30TS

Post by Future Fulltimers »

We have a 30TS and couldn't be happer with it. We turned to kitchen table so that there would be room to get by without opening the slides.
As far as kitchen storage, we put our dinnerware above the table and our less used items above the loungers. I am taking the pantry out (just left of the frig) to install 2 sliding shelves. The pantry seems to waste a lot of space.
As far as the tires, we replaced all 4 after loosing 2 to flats. No damage so we made out ok there. If the dealer will replace the tires, go for it. Peace of mind is priceless. :D
Wayne & Peggy Williamson
Rocky
GoodSam Lifetime Members
2006 30TS
2007 Silverado 3500 Classic 6.6L D'Max
AirSafe 25k hitch
OregonGuy

Post by OregonGuy »

i hope i'm not too late to wade in and offer an opinion. i have had two fleetwoods (one was a terry), one keystone model and a komfort. my last purchase was a 29ts (now called the 30ts). i love my cardinal the best. i also looked at the challenger but have some friends that have one and have had a lot of trouble with it. i asked the service manager at my dealership and he strongly preferred the cardinal over the challenger from what experience he had had.

i have storage problems with every fifth wheel, trailer and motor home on the market. the 30ts is not any more of a problem than any other though. in fact, it seems to work better for us. keep in mind, my wife and i are not well organized and we pack for every possible thing that could occur, so if we can live in it, anyone should be able to.

it is a dream to have company in, it has a ton of room for people, that i can assure you.
CritterRenter

Post by CritterRenter »

rosey wrote:DW and I are waiting for our dealer to call us any day now to pick up our new 34qs..our first Cardinal 5er :D and we are "chomping at the bit". Currently have a Fleetwood Prowler TT figure that life is too short to wait for a "maybe some day"............37 footer with 4 slides....had to trade my Silverado 1/2 ton for a Silverado Duramax Dually to pull her...picking that up Monday....oh well se la ve!!!
I had a Terry TT. When I first joined the forum, my signature line said "On LayAway"
Now I am a Happy Camper with my Bird. Full Timing, and very comfortable. Some would like to have more counter space, but for me by myself it is fine. There are plans that will provide that space.
I think you will be happy with your choice. Happy Camping, and keep us informed of your travels! :shock:
grizzlygiant

Post by grizzlygiant »

I was very interested in a new 30TS but have changed my mind when I noticed the huge curb in front of the kitchen appliances. It would be most uncomfortable to work at the counter. Otherwise, I like the setup very much.
Luizianna

Post by Luizianna »

grizzlygiant...Welcome to the club!!