Just ordered a new Cardinal 36-2BH - Questions...

These are discussions that contain lots of good info, so did not want to eliminate it. It has closed so we can take advantage of making the forum easier to find what you are looking for.
Shawn.L.Turbo

Just ordered a new Cardinal 36-2BH - Questions...

Post by Shawn.L.Turbo »

Well, we must be nuts!

We just ordered a new 36-2BH 5er. For the last 7 years, we've been pulling our 29 foot 5er around.

Kids need more room now... so we somehow ended up with this one.
Way bigger than we had before - starting to get the "post purchase" jitters of "geez, did I go TOO big now?.

I going to be pulling it with a 07 3500 SRW Dodge Diesel Mega Cab SB, 4X4.
We just bought that truck too as an upgrade from our 2500 to handle the higher pin weight of this new trailer. We simply do not tow enough to justify the dually.

My question: How do these 36-2's tow (particularly with a SRW)? My old 29 footer I hardly knew was there.

Also, the literature lists the external length as 40' 8" - but in reality it looks to be about 37 feet. Anyone actually measure one?

It's a superbly nice trailer, which is why we bought it, but curious to see what you folks think of towing this monster - if it feels like one.

Thanks,

Shawn
Luizianna

Post by Luizianna »

Welcome to the club Shawn! You picked out a really nice rig! That extra bedroom is really roomy and nice. We have some friends that bought one like yours just to have room for the grandkids.

I doubt if you'll even notice a difference in towing, but I'll leave that answer to a more experienced member that has that same rig. Good Luck and Happy Camping!!
campswithcritters
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2005 34RLT
Skype ID: campswithcritters

Post by campswithcritters »

Cardinal models do not match exterior length. Mine is a 34 model and from pinbox front to ladder in the back is 37 feet and actual trailer is 36. You will notice a difference after towing a 29 footer, mostly the weight but also use caution on turns as the distance from rear of truck to trailer axles is longer so it will track further into the turning radius. One other caution is that there is more length behind the axles too so when turning sharp it is possible to hit things on the blind side of a turn when that extra length swings outward. Already having 5th wheel experience should make the transition easy. Be careful and enjoy the extra space inside.
Bruce & Sharon Full-time since Nov 06
Boogie, & Jack ("the critters")
JOE33060
Cardinal Owners: 2006 36-2BHLE

Post by JOE33060 »

We have a 362BHLE and absolutly love it. This past weekend my friend bought the same unit at the RV Show. I pull mine with a crew cab dually and he will be pulling his with a crew cab srw. I dont have any trouble pulling mine and when it was towed to the dealer it was towed by a Dodge 2500 srw. I think that where the axles are on this unit make it handle very well. This is my 1st rv and i couldnt be any happier. I have had no problems with it and weve made 9 trips since May 06.If you need any questions email me and i will try to help you.
Congrats and good luck you and the family are going to love your new bird.

Joe
Joe and Cheryl
2006 36-2BHLE
2008 Ford F350 CC King Ranch
Shawn.L.Turbo

Post by Shawn.L.Turbo »

Thanks for taking the time to reply everyone.
I appreciate that.

That's more or less what I was wondering - because some trailers handle better than others behind a truck. Some feel squirelly and "pushy", and others you seem to forget you have behind you. Given the extra length I was just wondering if it's one of those trailers that you really FEEL the size.

We don't take delivery of it until sometime in April likely. Depends how fast the factory can build it.

I'm a little worried about the new additional size over our old one - taking corners, backing into campsites - you know the usual stuff.
I suppose like anything - I will get used to it.

Can't wait to get it now.

Thanks,

Shawn
Diesel Dave 04
Cardinal Owners: 2007 36-2BH

Post by Diesel Dave 04 »

Shawn, I picked mine up November 21 I towed it about 40 miles,Then put it in storage and it has been there ever since I cant wait to use it. I had a 35 footer before and the thing I found was you are fooled by looking in the mirror and seeing trailler way back there but yet it tracks like a 30 footer cause tha axles are just past mid way. the thing is if you are useto going into a intersection wide then turning sharp Like My CDL training tells me to the 13+ foot behind the rear axle swings into the oncoming lane. you will get useto it. I just stay centered in my lane and drive my truck to the far side of the lane im entering. Let me know how the maga short bed works pulling it Than may just be my next truck.
2008 Crew Cab 4X4 DRW 6.4 Turbo 4:10 gears. rebuilt engine at 59,338 miles broken #8 piston,tugging on A 2015 3800 FL full body paint
fix 7.3 , 6.0 AND now 6.4s Powerstroke diesels.
campswithcritters
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2005 34RLT
Skype ID: campswithcritters

Post by campswithcritters »

I've only had 2 5th wheels, both 36 foot and have to admit this redbird feels much more stable than my previous KZ product and tracks perfectly. Hope yours is as good to pull as this one! 8)
Bruce & Sharon Full-time since Nov 06
Boogie, & Jack ("the critters")
Jan

Post by Jan »

Shawn,

When we purchased our 36 footer in August 2006, I had never towed anything before. In December 2006, we left our home to go full timing across America. We left Port Orchard Washington and are currently in Raleigh North Carolina. To get here we drove through OR,CA,AZ,NM,TX.OK.AK,TN.

The three things we have to keep in mind - overhangs in fuel stations; city traffic, especially when making corners; and those people on the road who have very poor depth perception and will pull right out in front of you.

Other than that, we have a Ford F-350 diesel dually and it pulls like a champ. Our hitch is a Reese 20k.

I would recommend that you check with any campground before you get there to ensure they can accomodate your rig. Many, including state or national parks cannot.

Don't let the size of your new rig intimidate you. Get out there enjoy your nice, big Cardinal!

Jan
Diesel Dave 04
Cardinal Owners: 2007 36-2BH

Post by Diesel Dave 04 »

one thing we did with are 36 2BH was delete the carpet in the liveing area, there is still carpet under the couch and under the table But the rest is all vinyl laminate. with central Vac it looks like it will work real nice just sweep it up and send it in the power dustpan. :D
2008 Crew Cab 4X4 DRW 6.4 Turbo 4:10 gears. rebuilt engine at 59,338 miles broken #8 piston,tugging on A 2015 3800 FL full body paint
fix 7.3 , 6.0 AND now 6.4s Powerstroke diesels.