RF toilet leak/water heater elec

These are discussions that contain lots of good info, so did not want to eliminate it. It has closed so we can take advantage of making the forum easier to find what you are looking for.
bbgun

RF toilet leak/water heater elec

Post by bbgun »

Noticed a toilet leak this trip out. Down toward the right front area. Anybody else experience this? DH is still not quite able to use the hotwater heater on elec only anyone willing to provide step by step inst? Either that or we will hook up with everyone at Longbeach.Thanks! :)
Olbird
Council, Asst. Admin
Cardinal Owners: 3850 RL

Post by Olbird »

Go to the outside door of the Hot Water Heater, they have a switch with a pin going though it.
Pull the pin out and push the switch ON, the hot water heater will always heat on electric with the switch on.

Now you can turn off the propane wall mounted switch inside the camper, if you want fast recovery turn on the propane wall mount switch in the camper and both will heat the water.

Now the problem is that the only switch you have to shut off electric to the hot water heater element is that switch located on the hot water heater.

So if your unit is plugged in and no water in the tanks you will burn the element out.

I installed a LIGHTED switch inside the camper to turn on - off hot water heater.
Some people turn the breaker off inside but a breaker is not design to be used as a switch.

George:
George & Julie
3850 RL Full Paint w/ TrailAir Spring Ride System, Kodiak Disc Brakes, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Over 130 Mods

2022 Ford F450 DRW
Future Fulltimers
Cardinal Owners: 2006 30TS

Post by Future Fulltimers »

Between trips I always turn off both the breaker and the switch in side the heater compartment. That way I know it will not come on when there isn't any water in it. I took it in for service once and the tech turned on the breaker (along with the main). The other switch was off so there wasn't a problem.
Wayne & Peggy Williamson
Rocky
GoodSam Lifetime Members
2006 30TS
2007 Silverado 3500 Classic 6.6L D'Max
AirSafe 25k hitch
Future Fulltimers

Re: RF toilet leak/water heater elec

bbgun wrote:Noticed a toilet leak this trip out. Down toward the right front area. Anybody else experience this?
Check you water inlet fittings.
Wayne & Peggy Williamson
Rocky
GoodSam Lifetime Members
2006 30TS
AirSafe 25k hitch
bbgun

Water Heater

Post by bbgun »

Ok I spoke with dh and he does not recall any kind of a switch with a pin, however he does see a small black "rocker switch" and two round "rubber reset" buttons and NO INSTRUCTIONS :evil: on any of it. So he's been careful to keep the circuit breaker off to protect the heating element and to just use the LP for heating the water.
Thanks in advance!
campswithcritters
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2005 34RLT
Skype ID: campswithcritters

Post by campswithcritters »

Mine also has the black rocker switch and it does turn the electric element on & off.
Bruce & Sharon Full-time since Nov 06
Boogie, & Jack ("the critters")
Future Fulltimers

The black rocker switch should be below the black reset panel behind the gas line.
Wayne & Peggy Williamson
Rocky
GoodSam Lifetime Members
2006 30TS
AirSafe 25k hitch
bbgun

Post by bbgun »

Dh now believes that it never did work in the first place or perhaps he did something to it early on without knowing?? Who knows. Ol'bird please keep us in mind. I have questions for ya. Including the fact that when my blinds were replaced I noticed that they got hung backwards :roll: DH says only I would notice that, in my defense he also noticed that they were hung crooked. NOW the blinds by the recliner (skinny window) are broken. They may be the first that I replace. I am still noticing dampness by the bed near the mirror closet..maybe our seals need looking at? Gotta keep that honeydo list going~or at least get help for my honey to do the list :!: :lol: :lol: :lol:PS Still got to get out to our storage area to check the water inlet fittings for the toilet.
Olbird
Council, Asst. Admin
Cardinal Owners: 3850 RL

Post by Olbird »

Hello Bob and Becky,

Someone may have removed the pin, the goes in the little hole on the side of the rocker switch when it is in the off position only.

If the switch was put on without water in the hot water heater tank it will burn a hole in the element and not work until you replace the heating element.

They are easy to change.

George:
George & Julie
3850 RL Full Paint w/ TrailAir Spring Ride System, Kodiak Disc Brakes, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Over 130 Mods

2022 Ford F450 DRW
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator
Cardinal Owners: 2016 3850RL Estate
Skype ID: Mike-Clay

Post by Mike Clay »

I leave the outside rocker switch on all the time. But I use the circuit breaker to run the electric on the hot water. I just make sure as part of my hook up check list I shut of the breaker.
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
2016 3850RL Estate "Proto Grigio"
2019 Silverado 3500HD Dually D/A 4x4 LTZ
My dreams are too big for my wallet
Rallies attended - 32

Nights camping in 2013:159 2014:269 2015:Full Timers
david_iona

Post by david_iona »

A weekl late with a response but we recently had a small leak on the toilet and I tightened the bolts at the base to the toilet and the clamp band around the bowl and the leak ceased. Hope this easy fix works as well for you.
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator
Cardinal Owners: 2016 3850RL Estate
Skype ID: Mike-Clay

Post by Mike Clay »

It seems like Rob had some instructions to fix this if tightening does not work.
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
2016 3850RL Estate "Proto Grigio"
2019 Silverado 3500HD Dually D/A 4x4 LTZ
My dreams are too big for my wallet
Rallies attended - 32

Nights camping in 2013:159 2014:269 2015:Full Timers
bbgun

Post by bbgun »

Thank you so much for the replies! Next trip out..I quess we will fix this.
I love having internet access at the RV parks..so that I can search this site for answers! I am "addicted" :shock: to this site~ :!: :lol: :lol: