Ernie

Use this forum for technical questions regarding tow vehicles.

Moderators: Mike Clay, Olbird

Jim&Peggy
Cardinal Owners: 2005 Cardinal 30LE

$2.99 a Gallon

Post by Jim&Peggy »

Ernie --I presume you were able to take advantage of Dodges advertised rate on gasoline?? They say they will sell you fuel to run 12,000 miles per each year oif three years for $2.99 per Gallon. They must assign a MPG rate in order to calculate the number of gallons available to you each year Do you know what the MPG they allowed for your 3500??

This could be very lucrative for you---12000 dividedby 15 MPG {my guess} that would be 800 gallons which would cost you $2400 I just completeda 961 mile trip and my average cost of Diesel was $4.748 per gallon, 800 gallons @$4.75 per equals $3800 A savings to you of $1400. Of course Diesel will only continue to go up. It's over $5.00 in California now. Of course if Dodge tells you should get 25 MPG then it's a dfferent story. Thats why I'm curious as to what figure Dodge is using?? Thanks----Jim
2005 Cardinal 30LE--2007 Dodge 3500 Heavy Duty --6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel with Jake Brake and 5th Airborne Fifth Wheel Air-ride Coupler.
CritterRenter

Post by CritterRenter »

Jim, the $2.99 deal was available, but only 600 gallons. The other option was $7500 off the sticker. Maybe convoluted, my mathematics ain't what it used to be, but I decided to go with the discount. Since the EPA don't require the MPG rating on trucks with a certain GVWR, I think Dodge was a little short on the offer. Of course, as I put on the mileage, and prices go up, my convoluted math may say I made a boo boo. :(
CritterRenter

Post by CritterRenter »

Rob & Cathy wrote:
Mike Clay wrote:was stomping on the floor trying to find the clutch.
Oh I know, I did the same thing when I went to an automatic. The other thing I would do is instinctively reach with my right hand for the gear shift. Pulling the trailer is way to easy now.

Rob
I'm getting used to the auto tranny. Not trying to clutch it for starting. I still reach for the clutch and stick on occasion when in town. But those training wheels, gott'a keep a close eye on those. Almost clipped them a couple of times. :oops:
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

CritterRenter wrote:But those training wheels, gott'a keep a close eye on those. Almost clipped them a couple of times. :oops:
I'll bet that would be easy to do. It probably feels like you're 3' away from the curb when you parallel park.

Rob
Jim&Peggy
Cardinal Owners: 2005 Cardinal 30LE

Ernie---In RE. 600 Gallons

Post by Jim&Peggy »

Dodge is telling you/us that they expect a Dodge 3500 witha 6.7 liter engine to AVERAGE 20 MPG. A'INT NO WAY!! On arecent trip Of 171 Miles -driving at 60MPH losing 5400 feet in altitude I got 21.09 MPG. On the next leg of the same distance, but now gaining 4500 feet I got 16.385 MPG-- still driving at 60 MPH. This averages out to18.737 MPG. And that is driving carefully on the open highway. In and around town I get around 13/14 Mpg. So , if you do ALL of your driving on Interstates at 60MPH on flat land {West Texas, anyone?} you may get Dodges 20 MPG. But thats probably a better deal than the $7400 off the sticker price ,since sticker prices are so phony with kick backs to the dealer ,etc. At least you can put the fuel money in your pocket.
I will say that we really do like our truck, although we don't drive it as much as we would like due to the high cost of fuel Regards----Jim
2005 Cardinal 30LE--2007 Dodge 3500 Heavy Duty --6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel with Jake Brake and 5th Airborne Fifth Wheel Air-ride Coupler.
CritterRenter

Post by CritterRenter »

Rob & Cathy wrote: I'll bet that would be easy to do. It probably feels like you're 3' away from the curb when you parallel park.

Rob
Luckily, there ain't much parallel parking in south Texas.:)
Double D's
Cardinal Owners: 2013 3675 Cardinal 5th Wheel

Post by Double D's »

Just remember though, Ernie: All you cowboys BACK into your parking spaces, so remember the 'Wide Hips' when doing that! LOL! I will never forget Luckenbach! LOL!
http://www.ddbalfanz.blogspot.com/

Double D's - Dennis and Donna

2013 Cardinal 3675- The "Double D Retreat"
Trail Air Pin Box and Suspension
2007 Chevy Dually 3500, Duramax
Rallies - 20
Days out in 2015- 145
Days out in 2014 - 71
Days out in 2013 - 187 Alaska
CritterRenter

Post by CritterRenter »

I didn't think that the truck would get 20 MPG either. I just figured the difference from the $2.99, and what I think the average price savings would be, and the mileage I think I will get. I didn't think it worked out.
At the same time, that was not the only discount I got. Right now, they have a hard time selling diesel trucks. They are willing to deal, if you want to press it. They would like the space for a small gasser "Econo-Box"
CritterRenter

Post by CritterRenter »

Double D's wrote:Just remember though, Ernie: All you cowboys BACK into your parking spaces, so remember the 'Wide Hips' when doing that! LOL! I will never forget Luckenbach! LOL!
That's for a quick getaway. :twisted:
Double D's
Cardinal Owners: 2013 3675 Cardinal 5th Wheel

Post by Double D's »

I figured that was it! LOL!
http://www.ddbalfanz.blogspot.com/

Double D's - Dennis and Donna

2013 Cardinal 3675- The "Double D Retreat"
Trail Air Pin Box and Suspension
2007 Chevy Dually 3500, Duramax
Rallies - 20
Days out in 2015- 145
Days out in 2014 - 71
Days out in 2013 - 187 Alaska
bigbunkhouse
Cardinal Owners: 2007 362BHS

Post by bigbunkhouse »

hey, i'm a yankee and we always back in too.... but its because the untrained soccer moms of doom in suv's seem to never notice the "hips" so backing in makes the truck a 2 ft thinner target! :shock:
2007 362bhs Cardinal (The mobile vacation home)
99 f350 4dr dually v-10 Lb 2wd 4.30 locker (Big Dually)
Dogs: Elvis and Priscilla
Me (Matt), Wifey (Jana), (Julia)14 year old daughter and ***SHYANNE*** born 8/12/10
CritterRenter

Post by CritterRenter »

It's a lot easier to back in to a tight spot, but I like the quick getaway excuse better. :)
JDennis
Cardinal Owners: 33 RLBW

New Ride

Post by JDennis »

Hey Ernie---

Needless to say--I like your new ride as well !!!

The "wide look" is "In" these days--LOL!!

With regard to fuel mileage, my 2003 does a pretty fair job--running without trl on "road trip'---get 20/21 mpg, figured with the "pencil"--11/12 mpg in "flat country" with trl..9/10 mpg in "grade country"---not sure how the new rigs will handle--

Regarding your old ride---did you have a "over/under" gear vendor unit on it?--if so, did you keep the unit?--

Catch you later--again, Congrats---It is a good looking truck!!

JimD
2003 Cardinal 5th Wh (33 RLBW); Mor-Ryde Hitch
2003 Dodge 3500 LB DRW-5.9 CTD HO/48RE
Gauges(Pyro,TransTemp,Boost);
Firestone Air Bags;Garmin GPS

2009 194 Nights
2010 170 Nights
2011 227 Nights
2012 142 Nights
2013 60 Nights
CritterRenter

Post by CritterRenter »

Jim,
I had the Gear Vendor on my 1st CTD, but I let it go with the trade in because of the drive shaft mods. I never put one on my '05. With the 6 speed stick, I didn't think I needed it. The double O/D running empty would have been nice though.
I am starting to get used to the training wheels, ain't dinged it yet. (Hope I didn't just curse myself.. :? )
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator
Cardinal Owners: 2016 3850RL Estate
Skype ID: Mike-Clay

Post by Mike Clay »

Hey Ernie have you towed with that monster yet. Saturday im going to look at bow ties. Did I say that :shock:
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
2016 3850RL Estate "Proto Grigio"
2019 Silverado 3500HD Dually D/A 4x4 LTZ
My dreams are too big for my wallet
Rallies attended - 32

Nights camping in 2013:159 2014:269 2015:Full Timers