Weight Limit

Use this forum for technical questions regarding tow vehicles.

Moderators: Mike Clay, Olbird

pokypa

Weight Limit

Post by pokypa »

I just purchased my tags for my used 2004 F350 Crew Cab 6.0. I license the vehicle for 14,000 Gross weight. My truck weights 6500 and my trailer weights 14000 loaded. I figure my pin weight is around 2500 which would give my truck a weight of around 9000. Someone toll me that I needed to license the vehicle for the total weight of 21,000 truck and trailer. Can anyone help me? Do i need to increase the weight to include the truck and 5er. i live in Va. but I guess the limits are the same everywhere.

Thanks for your help

Pokypa
Future Fulltimers
Cardinal Owners: 2006 30TS

Re: Weight Limit

Post by Future Fulltimers »

If I am understanding your question, no. Weights and capacities limits are set by the manufacturer and cannot be changed. Governments register vehicles according to the information, provided by the manufacturer, that is on the title. That being said, you purchase tags for your truck according to the truck's weight (not capacity) and you purchase tags for your trailer according to its weight (not capacity).
Hope this helps.
Wayne & Peggy Williamson
Rocky
GoodSam Lifetime Members
2006 30TS
2007 Silverado 3500 Classic 6.6L D'Max
AirSafe 25k hitch
snoking

Post by snoking »

That varies by state. Check with your state DMV.

In Washington State the trailer license accounts for it's axle weights and the truck is licensed at the tare weight times 1.5 and rounded up to the next even K. So my 2001.5 Dodge is licensed at 12K. Yep that is for a manufactures 8800lb GVWR truck, I can weight up to 12K on the truck in any state in the union, but could I really do that? The front Dana 60 axle has GAWR of 5200 lbs I believe (it is raining and I am not going to go out and look). Rear is 6084 rated, but wait, it came with factory optional 265 tires on the rear rated at 3415lbs not the standard 245's rated at 3042 lbs. Guess how they got the rear rating? The Dana 70 axle is a 8500 axle I believe. So despite I mislead door jam sticker, I should be able to haul 6830 on the rear axle and 5200 on the front axle for a total of 12030 and be 30 lbs over my 12K tonage license.

Chris
snoking

Post by snoking »

Future Fulltimers wrote:If I am understanding your question, no. Weights and capacities limits are set by the manufacturer and cannot be changed. Governments register vehicles according to the information, provided by the manufacturer, that is on the title. That being said, you purchase tags for your truck according to the truck's weight (not capacity) and you purchase tags for your trailer according to its weight (not capacity).
Hope this helps.
Tonage license on commercial tractors and pickup trucks(in Washington State) is a total capacity license. Tare weight plus load. See my post above.

For private pickups this may vary by state.

Chris
Future Fulltimers
Cardinal Owners: 2006 30TS

Post by Future Fulltimers »

You're right. Commercial registration goes according to GVWR. Depending on which state you're standing in, your tow vehicle may or may not be considered commercial (at least commercial rated). Case in point, when I had my 3500 registered in Florida, they saw it as a commercial rated vehicle and the tags reflected it. Here in Tennessee, it's a personal vehicle unless you use it for business.
In pokypa's case, he can have the tag office review his registration but they will only register it according to state laws and the vehicle's information provided by the manufacture. Again you're right, he should check with the tag office.
Wayne & Peggy Williamson
Rocky
GoodSam Lifetime Members
2006 30TS
2007 Silverado 3500 Classic 6.6L D'Max
AirSafe 25k hitch
WVcampers
Cardinal Owners: 2018 Cardinal 3250RL Luxury

Post by WVcampers »

In WV unless the vehicle is used as commercial it can have the same license as a car. My Dodge 2500 cost the same to license as my Volkswagon. :bounce: :bounce: As far as I know there is not state that requires RVs to go through the scales to check weight on the highway.
Randy & Carol
Elbie (weiner dog)
2018 Cardinal 3250 RLX Luxury Edition
2019 Ford F350 6.7PSD Lariat 4x4 SRW
EAW
Cardinal Owners: 2005 Cardinal 31RKT
Skype ID: eaward49

Post by EAW »

It is a good idea to also check with your state's department of transportation regarding vehicle inspection requirements for the different license plate weight ratings. :evil: Illinois has a convoluted mess but it makes a good campfire story.
Earnie, Penny, and Roxie
2005 Cardinal 31 RKT with many mods.
2020 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab Denali 4WD LB SWR w/DuraMax, 10spd Allison

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." Mark Twain
rlhedlund

Post by rlhedlund »

What does DMV have to say? I'm curious.