7 Way Harness Question

Use this forum for technical questions regarding tow vehicles.

Moderators: Mike Clay, Olbird

bfast54

7 Way Harness Question

Post by bfast54 »

OK, I searched the forum's, and did not find the answer to my question, it is a simple one, and I think I know the answer, but want to ask "the expert's" :-B .

Here goes.................I do not , at this time have the "Battery charge", or "Aux power" pins live on my truck(did not wire them in, when I put the harness on) so, I have seen at the factory, when a rep was showing me a NEW UNIT, just off the line with NO BATTERY, he plugged the fiver plug into his harness,(he had installed in his pathfinder interior) and opperated the slide and ,front jacks with NO BATTERY in the fiver. :?

I need to know, which PIN to make live, for this ....I DO NOT want to "Charge my batteries" on my rig, as I am going down the road,because I have a Genny mounted on the rig, and do not need to ,and don't want to draw down my truck batteries while the rig is plugged in, and the truck not running. (I do not want to put a battery isolator , and all that in, I had one before, and just more headaches!!
The rigs I will be hooking to , willl be new units, and WILL NOT have batteries installed!!! ( that is the next part of the story, but that comes later )

So,I am thinking I need to make the AUX pin LIVE,( IE 12 volts) ,to do this . Am I right, or is it the "Battery Charge" ??????? :?: Pin , on the 7 way harness. :roll:

I know with all the Smart people out there, I am sure I will get the Right answer!!! :thumbrt:
EAW
Cardinal Owners: 2005 Cardinal 31RKT
Skype ID: eaward49

Re: 7 Way Harness Question

Post by EAW »

It sounds like a good way to burn up a wiring harness to me. I would get one of those portable battery/booster packs and connect it to the wires that the trailer battery would go to and run those high current motors with it. Then charge the pack as needed.
Earnie, Penny, and Roxie
2005 Cardinal 31 RKT with many mods.
2020 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab Denali 4WD LB SWR w/DuraMax, 10spd Allison

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." Mark Twain
bfast54

Post by bfast54 »

Earnie, Yes, that is one of the options I am thinking of, (pretty high on the list, actually) :mrgreen:

Just wanted to see what the concenses was.
rpfan
Region Leader
Cardinal Owners: 2009 3802BH (due in Nov13th!!) Have been enjoying ever since!!!

Post by rpfan »

Most trucks now have a diode in line that shuts down power from tow vehicle when the key is off. This keeps you from killing your truck battery.
Second, the charge line would most likely to be the one used, also, the 7 way has a ground. This would let the rv think it has a battery hooked up and let you use the 12 volt system in the RV

Rich
Rich, Fern, Bethany & Justin
2005 F 450, CC, Duallie, 4wd, 25K Air Safe hitch, 100 Gal.aux. fuel tank.
2009 3802 BH LX Edition, 5 slide
Leave no roller coaster unridden!
bfast54

Post by bfast54 »

Thanks Rich, yep, I am still reasearching this .
rlhedlund

Post by rlhedlund »

Looking at the plug:

Top right blade is 12V source
Right side is right turn signal
Bottom right is brakes
Bottom left is ground
Left side is left turn signal
Top left is running lights
Center pin is reverse lights

This is the way it comes factory-wired on my truck.
PapaJoel55
Cardinal Owners: 30QSBLE

Post by PapaJoel55 »

rhedlund when i bought my truck the 12 volt source was not connected and the dealer couldn't even tell me if it had it till i found it myself noticed it wasn't connected beause my battery went dead.i thought i was charging it when i was driving.you might want to make sure it is connected not saying it isn't.
Joel
Joel and Toni
2008 30QSBLE
2008 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
bfast54

Post by bfast54 »

Rhedlund thanks, I have that part, but was just wondering , because on the older rigs, the center is not back up lights, it is just 12 volt. ??? Thanks .

I wired the " battery charge", with a high power switch, at this point, can turn on, and off as needed.
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Here's the trailer end:

And here's a diagram: ---------truck--------------------------------trailer

Rob
bfast54

Post by bfast54 »

Thanks Rob and Kathy :thumbrt:
snoking

Post by snoking »

I but a constant pull rate solenoid in the battery charge lead on my truck that is pulled only when the engine is running. Some newer trucks have this built into the power distribution center.

Most converters will run the trailer without the battery installed.

Who's trailer are you hijacking that does not have a battery installed. The trailer requires a battery for the break away brakes to function. You becoming the repo man???

Chris
bfast54

Post by bfast54 »

snoking wrote:I but a constant pull rate solenoid in the battery charge lead on my truck that is pulled only when the engine is running. Some newer trucks have this built into the power distribution center.

Most converters will run the trailer without the battery installed.

Who's trailer are you hijacking that does not have a battery installed. The trailer requires a battery for the break away brakes to function. You becoming the repo man???

Chris
Wouldn't you like to know!!!!!!!!!!!!!! =)) If this "thing" happens, I will be sure to tell all my( 2 ) friends!!!!!!!!!!! .L.O.L. I sure hope I have more than that. :thumbrt:
rlhedlund

Post by rlhedlund »

That is correct, the Silverado did not come from the factory with the 12V power source connected. It was with some instructions. I went on the internet and found pictures of what to connect. The fuse is a 40 amp small square, low profile one that cost $6.00 to replace.