2008 Ford F 250 power stroke questions

Use this forum for technical questions regarding tow vehicles.

Moderators: Mike Clay, Olbird

Rob & Cathy

Re: V 10 ratings

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Grape Escape wrote:I have factory booklet in front of me and 4x2 with 4.10 gearing max trailer 14,500#, 4.30 gearing 16,000 #, payload is 3070#
Remember that with a heaver trailer comes a heaver hitch weight. My trailer weights in at 11500# and I'm just under my truck's GVW even though the truck is rated to tow 14500#. That's why I would recommend the F350.

Rob
Olbird
Council, Asst. Admin
Cardinal Owners: 3850 RL

Re: 2008 Ford F 250 power stroke questions

Post by Olbird »

If you going to buy, you better do it soon. I think all the big three are going to give deals on the inventory on the lots or showing up, but once they get this bail out money and reduce the numbers of building the big gas/diesel hogs the price is going go up and stay high and you will buy and pay accourding to your needs for the bigger rigs.

I just feel your best deal is sitting at the dealership today and when they gone they will be slow coming back.
George & Julie
3850 RL Full Paint w/ TrailAir Spring Ride System, Kodiak Disc Brakes, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Over 130 Mods

2022 Ford F450 DRW
bigbunkhouse
Cardinal Owners: 2007 362BHS

Post by bigbunkhouse »

Grape Escape wrote:I have factory booklet in front of me and 4x2 with 4.10 gearing max trailer 14,500#, 4.30 gearing 16,000 #, payload is 3070#
After reading stories of all the various diesel problems from all the manufacturers whether just a bad apple or not I hesitate getting a newer diesel equiped truck. May just stick with tried and true gasser in our situation as we are at least 5 yrs from full timing it and it would be hard to justify all the extra costs with the weight of our unit. Maybe if we were to get bigger unit and travel more the diesel would be justified. I noticed dealer discounting 2009's by 12,000$ already at the GM dealership and at Ford so I should be ok to order a 2009 in the spring with good discounts, full warrantee. etc.
I am sure the big 3 all build a nice truck but the Ford is the only one that offers a V10 or like engine.
Great to hear from fellow 5th wheelers and appreciate all the comments from this great club.
Any gas mileage figures would be appreciated from the V10 owners towing and empty

as far as fuel economy we can get 9+ towing if I drive calm, tend to average 8.75 though towing at 65-70mph and 22k lbs. Running empty I have gotten over 15 with the cruise on but tend to average 13.5mpg combined city/highway.

I'm a strong believer in .....You don't buy anything with over 8 lugs per wheel for fuel economy! :lol:

A note on the ride quality, I have an F250 4x4 long bed extended cab also and it rides like a washboard, we took it cross country twice and and had no complaints but when certain well endowed ladies ride in it they complain ALOT! My F350 on the other hand seems to ride smoother, maybe the 2wd, but either one with 2-3k in the bed (pin wt) rides like a lincoln!
2007 362bhs Cardinal (The mobile vacation home)
99 f350 4dr dually v-10 Lb 2wd 4.30 locker (Big Dually)
Dogs: Elvis and Priscilla
Me (Matt), Wifey (Jana), (Julia)14 year old daughter and ***SHYANNE*** born 8/12/10
snoking

Post by snoking »

After reading stories of all the various diesel problems from all the manufacturers whether just a bad apple or not I hesitate getting a newer diesel equiped truck. May just stick with tried and true gasser in our situation as we are at least 5 yrs from full timing it and it would be hard to justify all the extra costs with the weight of our unit. Maybe if we were to get bigger unit and travel more the diesel would be justified. I noticed dealer discounting 2009's by 12,000$ already at the GM dealership and at Ford so I should be ok to order a 2009 in the spring with good discounts, full warrantee. etc.
I am sure the big 3 all build a nice truck but the Ford is the only one that offers a V10 or like engine.
Great to hear from fellow 5th wheelers and appreciate all the comments from this great club.
Any gas mileage figures would be appreciated from the V10 owners towing and empty
Not to start a brand war, but I would hesitate to buy a Ford with a Diesel also. Dodge has had the same basic engine statrting in 1989, GM starting in 2000 or something like that, and Ford has had three completely different Power Stock engines with a forth in the pipeline. Maybe they will buy Dodge and GM, and one could get a Ford/Cummins/Allison truck. If you look a buy back numbers, Ford wins hands down!!!!

The Ford V10 is well proven in Motorhomes, and expect for the ones that blew spark plugs out of the heads, you do not hear many complaints. Just remember that resell will be much harder. Mileage towing will be 2/3 of what the diesel gets. Like you said both GM and Dodge gave up on the big block gassers for heavy towing because of most likely a very small demand for such a truck. Drive all three. I have had two Dodge Diesels and most likely would buy a new GMC Duramax if I was getting a new truck.

The 350 will ride the same as a 250. Don't fall into the 3/4T hole for 5th wheel towing, or you will be towing beyond the trucks stickers like many of us are doing, because it is expensive to start over again.

Chris
Future Fulltimers
Cardinal Owners: 2006 30TS

Post by Future Fulltimers »

Wayne & Peggy Williamson
Rocky
GoodSam Lifetime Members
2006 30TS
2007 Silverado 3500 Classic 6.6L D'Max
AirSafe 25k hitch
Grape Escape
Cardinal Owners: 2008 30RKLE

Post by Grape Escape »

Thanks alot Wayne,
Too confusing when reading all that. Info overload. Funny we owned Aerostars, Windstars, Trans Ams all poorly rated and all were fine, My so called junker 1995 Windstar is still being driven by the guy I sold it to back in 1996. If I can order a V10 2009 I will go with it. I figure I will have 1000$ minimum a year extra to spend on gasoline with estimated savings, no waiting for truck to warm up if it ever does, no noise, no stink, happy neighbors and I am in no hurry to get from a to b. But then again I have been known to do the opposite to what I have decided??
2008 Cardinal 30 RKLE tv 2009 Ford F250 XLT SE Crew 4X4 V10
Reese Signature 18 k slider, Michelin XPS rib tires 225/75x16

previous trailers
2006 Rockwood 2607 tv 2005 Tahoe
2002 Traillite 23' tv 2001 Pathfinder
campswithcritters
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2005 34RLT
Skype ID: campswithcritters

Post by campswithcritters »

Grape Escape wrote: no waiting for truck to warm up if it ever does, no noise, no stink, happy neighbors and I am in no hurry to get from a to b. But then again I have been known to do the opposite to what I have decided??
Just a short comment on the draw-backs listed above. Recent advances in diesel technology have overcome those you list. On the waiting for it to warm up, every diesel I have purchased has had a block heater that makes a toasty warm cab immediately after start-up and I seldom use mine as I find that just idling it for a minute then driving slowly out of my RV park, I have some heat before I reach the gate. The technology of fuel systems now makes most diesel engines very quiet, my big 8.3 is quieter than my 02 Dodge with 5.9 was. All diesels are now equipped with catalytic converters which in my opinion (and that of my wife) totally eliminates the diesel smell of yesteryear and actually is less offensive when idling than my 650 Suzuki bike. Seriously check out both engine types and drive both before deciding. On the point a to point b both will get the job done very well, but if altitude is your friend in the summer as it is mine (I like to get up where it's cool), a turbo charger really keeps performance and economy going up there.
Basically whatever is the right truck and engine combination for you, don't rule either out until you compare and be sure to get one that will control and stop your intended load for your's and family's safety.
Bruce & Sharon Full-time since Nov 06
Boogie, & Jack ("the critters")
gmarker
Cardinal Owners: 2005 29WBLE

Post by gmarker »

Being aware of my own bias, I try to keep quiet when the discussion gets into what truck or engine is best. Sometimes though, I feel like I can stay off of my soapbox and still add something to the conversation. I spent 18 years working for Ford Motor Co. and got up close and personal with the trucks made by all three of the American manufacturers. All three make darn good trucks and if you were to make an unbiased study of the quality and reliability of each there wouldn't be enough difference to talk about. Ford did have some problems with the '03 power stroke. '04 was somewhat better. '05 better still and the '06 was
a great engine. The '08's were a challenge for all of the manufacturers due to the new pollution controls, but it looks like what few problems they have are common to all three. As far as the diesel/gasoline debate goes, one could make a credible argument for either. My personal preference is diesel. Probably because I never had one until I retired and thought I deserved a retirement present to myself. In any case, we should all drive whatever feels good and serves our purposes. One thing I am sure of---------it's fun to talk about them!
GERRY & KAY
2005 29WBLE
20011 FORD F250 LARIOT 6.7 POWERSTROKE
MAX the WONDERCAT
Chief409
Mojave Desert
Cardinal Owners: 2007 30WBLE

Post by Chief409 »

Towing on the flat, no wind at 1800 RPM/58 MPH I'll see 9.7 mpg. I ordered all the heavy duty stuff, and have 4:30 gears. The only difference between my F250 and a SRW F350 is the spring block on the rear, which makes a 200 to 300# difference (and some have the F350 blocks replaced with the F250 blocks to lower the bed height for 5er towing, it's a Ford service change). I also pay less for the weight fee. The V10 has plenty of power and will pull an 8% hill at 60 MPH +, but the mileage is around 6 or 7 mpg/4500 RPM. I don't like those numbers, so I shoot for 3000 RPM and around 50 mph and get appx. 8 mpg. Then there's 30 - 40 mph headwinds, all you can do is bite the bullet and hope to get out of them.

I generally use the cruise control on the flats and moderate grades, and always use TOW/HAUL. I love the transmission, good compression braking, and the gear ratios are well thought out for towing. I have 35,000 miles on it, most of them with a trailer (the 24' Prowler TT and now the 30WBLE).

All said a good rig. However I think the next truck will be a F350 Extended Cab, long bed dually 4X4 with the "Tow Boss" set up, which means a diesel. I prefer not to be running at close to max, and have extra capacity for expansion, like one of the in bed aux fuel tanks.
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
2012 F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 Diesel Dually, Crew Cab, LWB, 50 gal Transfer Flow toolbox/tank
2007 Cardinal 30WBLE, "the 'Bird", ONAN gen.
The more I see in my travels, the more I realize there is so much more to see.
Luizianna

Post by Luizianna »

Gerry, you said it all right there!! High 5 to ya!!!
Grape Escape
Cardinal Owners: 2008 30RKLE

no more questions

Post by Grape Escape »

Well I finally found the truck and will pick up next week. Absolutely mint 2006 F350 King Ranch, crew cab, 4x4 deisel with 48,000 km every option imaginable other than GPS. Nothing like what I intended on buying but that's me. Convinced my better half we need it. Just hope the trailer fits as truck looks so high. Thanks for all the advice. :D :lol:
2008 Cardinal 30 RKLE tv 2009 Ford F250 XLT SE Crew 4X4 V10
Reese Signature 18 k slider, Michelin XPS rib tires 225/75x16

previous trailers
2006 Rockwood 2607 tv 2005 Tahoe
2002 Traillite 23' tv 2001 Pathfinder
gmarker
Cardinal Owners: 2005 29WBLE

Post by gmarker »

If the bed is too high you can change the rear spring blocks from the standrd F350 4inch to the 2inch that come on the F250. It's a common practice and approved by Ford. Congratulations on the new ride.
GERRY & KAY
2005 29WBLE
20011 FORD F250 LARIOT 6.7 POWERSTROKE
MAX the WONDERCAT
Chief409
Mojave Desert
Cardinal Owners: 2007 30WBLE

Post by Chief409 »

gmarker wrote:If the bed is too high you can change the rear spring blocks from the standrd F350 4inch to the 2inch that come on the F250. It's a common practice and approved by Ford. Congratulations on the new ride.
There is a Ford Technical Service Bulletin dealing with this, 0772 for the F350 SD trucks. That is the official blessing from Ford for the 2" rear spring block switch. I found the info here: http://www.ford-trucks.com/

And Congratulations on the new rig!
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
2012 F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 Diesel Dually, Crew Cab, LWB, 50 gal Transfer Flow toolbox/tank
2007 Cardinal 30WBLE, "the 'Bird", ONAN gen.
The more I see in my travels, the more I realize there is so much more to see.
Olbird
Council, Asst. Admin
Cardinal Owners: 3850 RL

Post by Olbird »

You should be fine, that is the same truck I had and even had the factory 20" wheels that makes it a little higher and the trailer hook up great.
However you can change the blocks like everyone has mentioned from 4" to 2".
George & Julie
3850 RL Full Paint w/ TrailAir Spring Ride System, Kodiak Disc Brakes, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Over 130 Mods

2022 Ford F450 DRW
WVcampers
Cardinal Owners: 2018 Cardinal 3250RL Luxury

Post by WVcampers »

Wow a King Ranch!! My friend has one and everytime I get in it I am amazed at the difference in the comfort of the leather vs my Lariet. It is a bunch softer and better on a long ride. The draw back that I have seen if the fading of the color, especially on the front seats. It looks to be from the sun. Consider covering the front windshield whenever possible. I know you will like your new ride. Congrats.
Randy & Carol
Elbie (weiner dog)
2018 Cardinal 3250 RLX Luxury Edition
2019 Ford F350 6.7PSD Lariat 4x4 SRW