New Edge Evolution CTS

Use this forum for technical questions regarding tow vehicles.

Moderators: Mike Clay, Olbird

watkinsk
Cardinal Owners: 2010 Cardinal 3150RL

New Edge Evolution CTS

Post by watkinsk »

My neighbor just gave me a new Edge Evolution CTS (NO KIDDING) Because Ford F350 2012 already has the EGT sensor, I don't need to measure the EGTs. I was curious what those of you with a CTS use it for. It has too many settings for me to figure out!
r/ Keith & Sher
2021 Alliance 340RL
2010 Cardinal 3150RL
2022 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD LTZ, 4x4, SRW, Std Bed
"NEVER, NEVER, NEVER QUIT"...Winston Churchill
jtaylor1920

Re: New Edge Evolution CTS

Post by jtaylor1920 »

I've got an Edge Insight and other than monitoring my EGT I also monitor engine temp, transmission temp, engine coolant temp, boost pressure, when my DPF kicks on and which gear my transmission is in. I wouldn't tow without it.
Samsbird
Cardinal Owners: 35 sbqle fifth wheel
Skype ID: yes

Post by Samsbird »

I also have the Insight CTS and I monitor all 4 of the EGT sensors, regen soot percent, engine coolant temp, and boost level. I believe the Evolution CTS is also a programmer, I could be wrong though.
2009 35sbq fifth wheel
2012 F350 SRW King Ranch 6.7 Powerstroke
1969 (428 Super Cobra Jet Mach 1)
1970 (Boss 302)
watkinsk

Post by watkinsk »

Not sure if I can track all four EGTs but there are what looks like about 30 PIDs to track.
r/ Keith & Sher
2021 Alliance 340RL
2010 Cardinal 3150RL
Olbird
Council, Asst. Admin
Cardinal Owners: 3850 RL

Post by Olbird »

If it is a programer chip also, be careful plugging it into the truck because Ford , GM, Dodge will all void the warranty,
Mine is a Edge Insight monitor but looks the same at the programer.
George & Julie
3850 RL Full Paint w/ TrailAir Spring Ride System, Kodiak Disc Brakes, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Over 130 Mods

2022 Ford F450 DRW
watkinsk

Post by watkinsk »

Thought I would get everyone up to speed on the Edge Evolution CTS install. Part of the install deal is that I let them put my truck with the Evolution CTS AND the Snow Water Meth system on a dynometer to test HP and DPF/regen with and without the two systems. The DPF/Regen test was done at the request of the State of California as Snow was recently certified by the State for use on California State diesel trucks and they wanted more quantitative evidence. They did the tests in Evolution CTS "Stock", "Tow" and "Race" mode. Due to time and cost, the "Economy" mode was not tested. The costs of the dyno were shared between Edge and Snow Performance.

These results are supposed to be published in Diesel Power magazine in September. They also want a picture of my truck pulling my Cardinal :):).

P.S. I have no investment or gain in this project other than my neighbor, who owns Snow Performance, gave me the Edge Evolution CTS for the use of my truck. I have had Snow Performance Water Meth installed on my earlier Dodge and now the 2012 F350 6.7L and have always felt there was considerably more power but I had no quantitative proof.
Results of the dyno test were:
1. With the Evolution CTS only in Stock Mode, gain 0 HP
2. With the Evolution CTS in Stock Mode AND Snow Performance, gain 30 HP
3. With the Evolution CTS only in Tow Mode, gain 4 HP
4.. With the Evolution CTS in Tow Mode AND the Snow Water Meth, gain 45 hp
5. With the Evolution CTS only in Race Mode, gain 80hp
6.. With the Evolution CTS in Race Mode AND the Snow Water Meth, gain 130 HP
7.. THe Evolution CTS was not tested in Economy mode but I noted in a personal trip this weekend about a 1.5 MPG increase with the Evolution CTS only and an additional 1.0 MPG using the Evolution CTS AND the Snow Performance. Edge says there is no increase in HP with Economy mode so I attribute the increased mileage to possible Tranny reprogramming.

I returned the Evolution CTS in my truck to "Stock" mode. I plan to tow to the National Rally in July using Stock Mode. Returning to Colorado from Oregon, I plan to tow in the CTS "Tow" Mode to see what the difference will be.

I didn't understand the DPF generation numbers but in layman's language, the Edge, increased Regen in Race Mode by a factor of 3.5X...which had to dramatically affect mileage in a negative way. My neighbor said the Snow did "really well" in the DPF/regen tests but I don't know what "really well" truly means. Note: I do enjoy having an additional 8 gauges available from the Evolution CTS.
r/ Keith & Sher
2021 Alliance 340RL
2010 Cardinal 3150RL
snoking

Post by snoking »

So are you now "your own warranty station"? These new trucks are pretty smart and stoolies to boot! Chris
watkinsk

Post by watkinsk »

My understanding of the warranty is that as long as I leave the CTS in stock mode, all it is doing is monitoring the stock setup with more guages. For example, I now monitor the for EGT sensors as the darn truck left me stranded a year ago when one sensor failed. There is no reprogramming in Stock Mode.
If there is a problem that occurs during towing when I have it in CTS' Tow mode, it has to be directly related to a reprogramming issue from CTS. I had an Edge chip on my old Dodge and when an injector failed, Dodge did cover it under warranty. The Snow Performance does not reprogram the truck...only injects water meth into the turbo. With CA now accepting the Snow Performance, Ford would have a hard time arguing against it.
I will tell you that I test drove the truck for about 5 miles in race mode before it was set back to Stock.....the power was unbelievable:)...but much more than would ever be needed for anything but racing! Overall I am very happy with the 6.7L Ford engine's stock power.
r/ Keith & Sher
2021 Alliance 340RL
2010 Cardinal 3150RL
snoking

Post by snoking »

So the foot prints are now present in the trucks computer(s)! Chris
Olbird
Council, Asst. Admin
Cardinal Owners: 3850 RL

Post by Olbird »

Once you plug in the chip and test drive it the trucks computer records every change, they state in manual warranty void if it is found that anything was use to change factory tuning.
The cost to get these engines worked on in today's market I just cannot take the chance to plug in anything that can be recorded for the dealer to say no warranty,
The do not even like the monitor plug -in because it looks like a chip unit,, I use to take it out when getting the oil changed at the dealer but they now know it is just a monitor.
George & Julie
3850 RL Full Paint w/ TrailAir Spring Ride System, Kodiak Disc Brakes, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Over 130 Mods

2022 Ford F450 DRW
snoking

Post by snoking »

Also just because a vendor like Snow got California to approve it does not mean the truck manufacturer will not void ones warranty. The playing field has greatly changed as George points out. Chris
watkinsk

Post by watkinsk »

Regarding the Snow Performance, I have had both the Dodge and Ford truck into the shop frequently since 2010 for oil changes, reflashes of the ECM and major mechanical work, most recently 2 weeks ago for the recall on the EGT where they did a reflash and complete inspection of the exhaust system...without a comment made. I am not at all worried about the Snow Performance.
The Edge may be a problem but I don't have the extended warranty so I have 2 months before then non-major engine stuff expires and 2 yrs/2 months before the primary engine warranty expires. Also, "supposedly" the Edge Stock ECM and TCM settings are backed up identical into the Edge so the original stock settings remain as long as the system is in Stock mode. If I elect to run in any other mode then the argument is correct in the ECM and TCM being reprogrammed. The key is, Ford would have to prove that correlation and relationship between any problem and Edge. Having been stranded by Ford once without any significant support until I fought them hard (for the EGT sensor problem that ultimately resulted in a recall), having the ability to monitor the EGTs and some other items before they break is a risk I accept.
r/ Keith & Sher
2021 Alliance 340RL
2010 Cardinal 3150RL