Payload of your DRW Trucks

Use this forum for technical questions regarding tow vehicles.

Moderators: Mike Clay, Olbird

jtaylor1920

Re: Payload of your DRW Trucks

Post by jtaylor1920 »

Well the search for a new truck will be picking up since we just sold our truck today. Since we don't have a firm date on a trip until the 2016 Jackson rally we've got time to find the right truck and deal. The only thing that has been decided at this point is the next one will be DRW.

Let the fun begin :d
sew2bhappy
Cardinal Owners: 2013 Cardinal 3030 5th wheel
Location: Oklahoma Oklahoma City (base) and wherever the weather is better

Post by sew2bhappy »

Fun fun fun!! We loved our 1-ton dually. Only thing better - at least for us - is the big red truck :d

Looking forward to hearing about your search.

Does this mean Laurie gets another sweet puppy??? :ymdevil: :ymdevil:
Millie Plato (married to Rplato)
2013 Cardinal 3030RS
1998 Volvo VNL610
2009 SmartCar-Bitsy
Nights out in
2018 - 93
...2015/16/17 - full time
...2011/14 - 719
National Rallies - 6
Regional Rallies - 10
FROG - 4
jtaylor1920

Post by jtaylor1920 »

sew2bhappy wrote:Does this mean Laurie gets another sweet puppy??? :ymdevil: :ymdevil:
Shhhhh........... :-$

I'm hoping she forgot about that part of the deal........anyway there isn't enough room in the bed for another one :shock:
dfredendall
Council, Moderator
Cardinal Owners: 2018 Cardinal 3350RLX- Luxury Edition

Post by dfredendall »

I had the same question. Millie beat me to the punch. Don't let Millie talk with Laurie. Gee, I smell a king size bed coming too. Incentive to keep working, eh? Did you keep your hitch from the old truck?
Dana & Cindy Fredendall
Highland, California
2018 3350RLX- Luxury Edition
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7 Diesel
There are great experiences and new friends everywhere we go!
jtaylor1920

Post by jtaylor1920 »

dfredendall wrote:I had the same question. Millie beat me to the punch. Don't let Millie talk with Laurie. Gee, I smell a king size bed coming too. Incentive to keep working, eh? Did you keep your hitch from the old truck?
You never know about the new bed wrapped up inside a new trailer. It would all depend upon getting the right price for the existing one :d. I've got at least 17 years to go before retirement so I might as well enjoy my hobby while I'm working too.

I did keep the hitch just in case the next truck doesn't have the 5th wheel prep package. All I'd need to do is have the B&W turnover ball mount installed and then I could drop the hitch in. If I go Chevy/GMC that would be the route to go since they haven't gone with the puck system that Ram and Ford have done.
sew2bhappy
Cardinal Owners: 2013 Cardinal 3030 5th wheel
Location: Oklahoma Oklahoma City (base) and wherever the weather is better

Post by sew2bhappy »

Um, John? What is Lauries email? I'm sure there's a lonely, sad-eyed puppy needing some love somewhere near you :O3 :O3
Millie Plato (married to Rplato)
2013 Cardinal 3030RS
1998 Volvo VNL610
2009 SmartCar-Bitsy
Nights out in
2018 - 93
...2015/16/17 - full time
...2011/14 - 719
National Rallies - 6
Regional Rallies - 10
FROG - 4
snoking

Post by snoking »

jtaylor1920 wrote:
dfredendall wrote:I had the same question. Millie beat me to the punch. Don't let Millie talk with Laurie. Gee, I smell a king size bed coming too. Incentive to keep working, eh? Did you keep your hitch from the old truck?
You never know about the new bed wrapped up inside a new trailer. It would all depend upon getting the right price for the existing one :d. I've got at least 17 years to go before retirement so I might as well enjoy my hobby while I'm working too.

I did keep the hitch just in case the next truck doesn't have the 5th wheel prep package. All I'd need to do is have the B&W turnover ball mount installed and then I could drop the hitch in. If I go Chevy/GMC that would be the route to go since they haven't gone with the puck system that Ram and Ford have done.
Don't know about Ford's puck system, however RAMs is great and if the truck does not have it OEM it is not that hard to add it. I took me a half day by myself to install the four 5th wheel pucks and wiring in the bed. With a second person it would go much faster. The mounts are already on the frame for the puck receivers. If you get a RAM be sure to go for the Aisin optional medium duty truck auto tranny. Chris
Major
Cardinal Owners: Blue Ridge 3600RS

Post by Major »

My 2014 F-350 has the Ford puck system with the B&W Companion hitch. I love it. The hitch itself easily comes apart in two pieces so I don't need a crane to lift it and the pucks make for a totally flat bed for hauling things.
Doug and Becky Ridgeway
2014 Blue Ridge 3600RS
2014 Ford F-350 4X4 DRW 6.7 PSD
Troy, NC
jtaylor1920

Post by jtaylor1920 »

sew2bhappy wrote:Um, John? What is Lauries email? I'm sure there's a lonely, sad-eyed puppy needing some love somewhere near you :O3 :O3
Ummmm........I forget :d

I'll let you know if I remember :-o
jtaylor1920

Post by jtaylor1920 »

What do you all think regarding gearing?

3.73's or 4.10's?

The truck won't be a daily driver, but it will get driven empty about as much as it will tow the bird.
snoking

Post by snoking »

jtaylor1920 wrote:What do you all think regarding gearing?

3.73's or 4.10's?

The truck won't be a daily driver, but it will get driven empty about as much as it will tow the bird.
For a RAM dually either is good. If you plan on a 22K MS some day get the 4:10's and Aisin! Going to tow a Cardinal, I would get the 3:73's and Aisin. The Aisin has a lower 1st gear than the 68RFE RAM tranny.

All I can say is that I love my new Laramie. I have driven a friends Longhorn dually with 4:10's. He has a really heavy MS 5th wheel.

Chris
jtaylor1920

Post by jtaylor1920 »

Thanks Chris and if Ram is my final choice it will have the Aisin.
jtaylor1920

Post by jtaylor1920 »

So, the test drives occurred today and we've narrowed down our choice to either a Chevy or GMC 3500 DRW. Lots of reasons why we are going this way, which I'm happy to share via PM or at the Jackson Rally :thumbrt:, but not wanting to start truck wars I'm hoping those of you that have a GM truck can chime in on things I should look for.

We are going to purchase new and probably a 2015 since those are priced the best at this time of year.
ghpettengill
Cardinal Owners: Gary and Holly

2014 3850RL (after 8/10/13)
2008 Chev 3500 D/A Dually Crew Cab

Post by ghpettengill »

I have read that GM is supposed to add a Gooseneck/Fifth Wheel prep package factory option to the 2016 models, with availability in the March 2016 timeframe. They haven't released a lot of details on what the package will look like, but it will include a light plug in the bed. It may be something you'll want to discuss with your dealers.

Gary
Gary, Holly, Daniel, Steven,
and Penny (Golden Retriever)

2014 3850RL, Merlot Full Paint, Disc Brakes
2008 Chevy 3500 Duramax Crewcab Dually
Olbird
Council, Asst. Admin
Cardinal Owners: 3850 RL

Post by Olbird »

John, I really like my GMC truck, any brand you pick will do a good job, however I am a GM truck person so I would only recommend GM truck.
You will find that GM trucks are a little more costly and harder to make a deal, Ram is one of the better deals but once you start stepping up to the Aisin trans. the price also goes up to match GMC & Ford.
If you can make a deal for a GM you will be happy with the towing.
George & Julie
3850 RL Full Paint w/ TrailAir Spring Ride System, Kodiak Disc Brakes, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Over 130 Mods

2022 Ford F450 DRW