Cardinal 36-2BH....

Use this forum for technical questions regarding tow vehicles.

Moderators: Mike Clay, Olbird

dawgindacula

Cardinal 36-2BH....

Post by dawgindacula »

My wife and I are interested in the 2007 Cardinal 36-2BH. We have a 2003 F250 7.3L PowerStroke and want to pull it with that. Will this truck handle this trailer if I install the Air Ride suspension. I thought about upgrading front/rear gears to 4.10. Is that necessary?
campswithcritters
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2005 34RLT
Skype ID: campswithcritters

Post by campswithcritters »

Will it pull it? Yes, however I believe you would likely exceed the F250 Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) and the Gross Combined Weight Rating (GCWR). Legally you would never likely get in any trouble, however if an accident were to happen you could face problems with insurance coverage by exceeding these limits. The limits are set by the manufacturer with regard to suspension, brake, and other vehicle limits. Might want to consider a lighter rig or a heavier truck (i.e. 1 ton or heavier). It is a judgement call, but personally I would look at it from the safety standpoint and downsize the dream or upsize the truck. Just my opinion.
Bruce & Sharon Full-time since Nov 06
Boogie, & Jack ("the critters")
Diesel Dave 04
Cardinal Owners: 2007 36-2BH

Post by Diesel Dave 04 »

I have this trailer. and I came from ford before i got my dodge I will agree the truck you have will pull it. with some air bags But you wont be leagle.
I was thinking over the winter that i should get a SRW 3500 next time cause I really dont need the dually to tow the trailer But when i hooked up to it after it sitting since nov. Reality set in and I think I will be sticking with the dually. not that i have to have it but i think it has to be more stable. that thing is big in the mirrors

One thing to Note The 11,930 is dry weight with no options, they weigh them as they leave the building when complete and my dry weight with all options was 13,920 That was before I added the 2nd A/C and The beer Fridge in the front and the washer Dryer. My dry weight is not close to 14,300
2008 Crew Cab 4X4 DRW 6.4 Turbo 4:10 gears. rebuilt engine at 59,338 miles broken #8 piston,tugging on A 2015 3800 FL full body paint
fix 7.3 , 6.0 AND now 6.4s Powerstroke diesels.
Luizianna

Post by Luizianna »

I'm stayin out of weight issues..lol I do want to say welcome to the club to dawgindacula!!
jamespatrick4

Post by jamespatrick4 »

I agree with the others and would avoid that combination. While your truck could pull it, the real issue is stopping (in addition to increased and/or premature wear and tear) and there is nothing you can add to the truck or fiver that would help with that. We had a Dodge 2500 and towed a friends large rig once. I don't know the weight, but it was a 38 footer and none too light. The issue was not power, I could pull it just as easily as my current 3500 DRW but stopping and handling were another story. Our 36-2BH is due in later this month and after doing the research, I'm glad we have the 1 ton 3500.
dawgindacula

Thanks for the replies....

Post by dawgindacula »

I was talking to the guy at the dealership who sells these things and he said it wouldn't be a problem. Then I read somewhere that there is little difference between a 250 and 350 (with the exceptions of rear springs). Then I read these type forums and most who actually pull trailers (except for a few) say the same thing - buy a bigger truck.

It gets sorta confusing with so many opinions. I am going to look at a different setup. We love the Cardinal/Cedar Creek layouts, with small kids we want the bunk house. What is the largest unit that I can safely pull with my truck?

Thanks in advance.
Rob & Cathy

Re: Thanks for the replies....

Post by Rob & Cathy »

dawgindacula wrote:I read somewhere that there is little difference between a 250 and 350 (with the exceptions of rear springs). Then I read these type forums and most who actually pull trailers (except for a few) say the same thing - buy a bigger truck.

What is the largest unit that I can safely pull with my truck?

Thanks in advance.
An F250 and F350 with the same engine, transmission and differential are rated to pull the same weight. However, the F350 is rated for more weight in the bed. The issue is not what you can pull but what you can carry. A heavy trailer has a heavy tongue weight and it's the carrying weight (GVW, the weight of the truck plus everything else) that you will be exceeding. The GVW is what the manufacturer stamps on the door frame plate and cannot be changed by any modification you do to the truck. With all that said you should go to the F350 or better to carry the tongue weight of a trailer that size.

I suspect that your current truck has a GCW of around #9600. Take your truck full of fuel to a scale and get the weight then add the weight of the passengers, hitch and gear that will be carried in the truck. Subtract all those weights from the GVW and what you have left is what you carry in tongue weight.

Rob
MARK33062
Cardinal Owners: 2007 36-2BHLE

Post by MARK33062 »

Your 250 will definately tow it but will not safely stop it. I have the same unit and pull it with a 350 SRW 4x4 and have no problem. Go ahead and add the airbags just to level the truck when hooked up. Forget the 4.10 rear though, if you had the E4OD tranny that would be ok but with the new tranny for the 6.0 3.73 is the way to go with that rig. Forget looking at the dodged also they do not have the GCWR that the ford has. Alot of dealers will tell you anything to make a sale.
I would hate to become involved in a crash with a rig that was out of proportion and not be at fault and have some silly civil case arise over the fact the unit was overweight and mismatched to the tow vehicle, and now become culpable liable without insurance coverage.
Dual Rear Wheels seem to be the preferred tow pkg for a rig of this size, and lets face it your'e only 7 feet short of a Tr/TRL.
Prodigy brake controllers seem to be the best tested and I can voch that it will lock em up if needed - just read the directions and set it up like they say - don't skip anything.
MARK & KATHY
2007 - 36-2BHLE
2010 - DODGE/ RAM 3500 HEAVY DUTY Crew Cab 4x4 Dually (6.7) Cummins
Diesel Dave 04

Post by Diesel Dave 04 »

well Im ok with Mark's reply But I would not say FORGET THE DODGE. My 3500 has 23K GCWR And with No added after market air bags It handles the pin weight better then the fords I seen with the same size trailer including my old F350 DRW. As a matter a fact I had to add Air bags to my F-350 I had before I got my 3500 I also had to replace broken rear leaf springs on the F-350. :roll:
I would say if you can go with Dual Rear Wheels it makes a trailer that size more stable.
I use a Jorden 2020 brake controler and it is the best if you ask me :D

Or You can get the new 08 ford Powerjoke diesel and I see it comes with the flame out the tail pipe to help light the camp fire option. that is kind of cool :D
2008 Crew Cab 4X4 DRW 6.4 Turbo 4:10 gears. rebuilt engine at 59,338 miles broken #8 piston,tugging on A 2015 3800 FL full body paint
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator
Cardinal Owners: 2016 3850RL Estate
Skype ID: Mike-Clay

Post by Mike Clay »

Now now no truck wars
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
2016 3850RL Estate "Proto Grigio"
2019 Silverado 3500HD Dually D/A 4x4 LTZ
My dreams are too big for my wallet
Rallies attended - 32

Nights camping in 2013:159 2014:269 2015:Full Timers
rosey
Cardinal Owners: 07 Cardinal 34QS

Post by rosey »

Go for the dually........you won't regret doing so. I bought my Silverado duramax diesel dually to pull the 34qs and love the way it handles the weight.
Gayle & Mike Rosenblatt "Rosey"
Our Furry Camping Kids; "Ting-Tang,Saylor,& Kai"
07 Cardinal 34QS;4 Slides;Optional Paint;Bigfoot
07 Chevy Silverado LT3 3500 Duramax Dually Longbed CC;Allison;Titan 62 Gal(Super Ser.)fuel tank
dawgindacula

Maybe a dumb question...

Post by dawgindacula »

SRW vs DRW....

What does dual wheels have to do with stopping the rig? I understand stability with a wider wheel base and four tires, but I assumed that stopping would be a major by product of the disk brakes (are they different on an SRW vs DRW or even F250 vs F350) and the brakes on the trailer.

Regarding stability on a 5th wheel. I also would have assumed that that is a byproduct of the height of the 5th wheel above the truck bed. Wouldn't most of the weight be from the 5th wheel bedroom door back to the back of the trailer and not right above the truck bed?

Just trying to get educated, not trying to flame anyone.
Diesel Dave 04

Re: Maybe a dumb question...

Post by Diesel Dave 04 »

dawgindacula wrote:SRW vs DRW....

What does dual wheels have to do with stopping the rig? I understand stability with a wider wheel base and four tires, but I assumed that stopping would be a major by product of the disk brakes (are they different on an SRW vs DRW or even F250 vs F350) and the brakes on the trailer.

Regarding stability on a 5th wheel. I also would have assumed that that is a byproduct of the height of the 5th wheel above the truck bed. Wouldn't most of the weight be from the 5th wheel bedroom door back to the back of the trailer and not right above the truck bed?

Just trying to get educated, not trying to flame anyone.
I dont think stopping is the thing that makes me feel safer in my dually but when im crusing at 70 and i hit a dip infront of a bridge or somthing and i dont swerve or get any sway side to side even though there is 0ver a ton of pin weight over the axle that is what i think makes me feel my dually is the way to go. With 4 tires you have less tire side wall flex do to the weight beeing spread out. More stable in turns and if you ever go accross the west with high winds it sure feels safer knowing you are wider with more rubber on the road.

The pin weight depens on where they place the trailer axles and how long the trailer is. the 36-2BH is 40foot but they have 13.5 feet behind the axles that way it turns better and it puts less weight on the pin if the axles were back near the rear of the unit the pin would be more like 3,500 Pounds. and you would have to swing way wide to make a turm.
I hope this helps
smithmew

RedBird 36-2bh

Post by smithmew »

I own an 07' redbird 36-2bh. I tow with a 06' F-350 6.0 Diesel SRW. Our first adventure last summer was from Denver up to Banff Canada and across the Canadian Rockies to the west coast. All in all, the F-350 pulled the rig just fine. Leaving Denver going across the public scales at 22,940 lbs!! Thats just under Fords combined GVW guidelines of 23,000 lbs.
I did three thing to help my truck:
1. AFE cold air intake.
2. 4 inch stainless exhaust system from the turbo back.
3. BD exhaust brake.

By far the BD brake was a great investment. It worked like a champ and really helped the truck control the redbird on those 6,7 and 8% grades.
No doubt your F-250 with the bigger power plant can pull the freight. I highly recommend looking into the add ons like I did. You wont regret any of them.

Mark and Ellen
Graeagle, Ca
07' redbird 36-2bh
06' F-350 Diesel,SRW
skymyles

Post by skymyles »

That 36-2BH is one big heavy mutha. I pull mine with a F350 DRW PSD w/ 4.10. When I busted my clavicle in January a buddy with a SRW F350 7.3 diesel and 3.73 moved it to my home away from home for me and we were both sweating it out on hlls, both up and down- he has that Banks version of the jake brake on his which helped, but the dually is a more stable, safer platform, and the 4.10 will pull a hill much better. I don't use that truck as a daily or even routine ride, if I did I'd probably want the 3.73 for better fuel economy.
AFAIK the dually only comes in a 4.10 or 4.30