New Snoking RAM thread! (Name changed)

Use this forum for technical questions regarding tow vehicles.

Moderators: Mike Clay, Olbird

snoking

New Snoking RAM thread! (Name changed)

Post by snoking »

The crew cab RAM with a long box are to darn long. The B&W RVK3600 hitch that goes in the RAM pucks can be set up to four inches behind the axle, so we are considering a short box. It will be only one foot for longer than our present truck. A long box would be three feet longer, and hard to fit in our garage among other places. Chris
Last edited by snoking on Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dfredendall
Council, Moderator
Cardinal Owners: 2018 Cardinal 3350RLX- Luxury Edition

Re: Who has gone from a long boxTV to a short box?

Post by dfredendall »

My long bed crew cab F-350 is 22 feet long. Like driving a parade float but I am used to it. Most parking lots do not like it, so parking is a challenge. Are you looking at DRW or SRW? The hips of duallys add more to the parking fun. I like the ride comfort of the extra long wheel base. What ever you do the new ride will be wonderful compared to the older model you are used to. So much quieter for starters.
Dana & Cindy Fredendall
Highland, California
2018 3350RLX- Luxury Edition
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7 Diesel
There are great experiences and new friends everywhere we go!
snoking

Post by snoking »

3500 SRW, rated 11,700 GVWR, Tow rating 17,100, Max load 3,953, GCWR 25,300, 385hp and 865 ft lbs with Aisin transmission.

Color will be Deep Cherry Red Pearl Coat or Granite Crystal. Laramie with leather. Chris
BMullins46
Cardinal Owners: 06 Cardinal 31RKT; 2016 XLR 385AMP
2012 Ford F350 DRW, Lariat 6.7 Diesel.

Post by BMullins46 »

The red is my favorite. Might as well get all the bells and whistles with it. Some of them seem to be just fluff, but once you've had them a while you'll wonder how you did without them. My choice would be the Megacab, I loved the extra room in the back seat and behind the back seat. I just wish there was some way to get the 19.5 truck tires on the 3500.
Bill & Debbie
06 31RKT, MorRyde LRE/4000; 2016 XLR 385AMP
2012 F350 DRW 4X2 Lariat, 6.7 Diesel, TransferFlow aux fuel tank
Fur babies, Betty and Cocoa
Nights camping
2011-102; '12-111; '13-89; '14-108; '15-142; '16-92; '17-163; '18-81
snoking

Post by snoking »

I am trying to keep this shorter as a daily driver. Mega cab is a foot longer.

Old std cab long bed:
Plus 1 foot = new crew short box.
Plus 2 feet = new mega short box
Plus 3 feet = new crew long box

Chris
Olbird
Council, Asst. Admin
Cardinal Owners: 3850 RL

Post by Olbird »

B&W makes a auto slider hitch now and many other brands make them, in the early days only one company made a auto slider hitch.
The newer model 5th wheels are making the caps to use with short bed trucks.

http://www.pullrite.com/products/oe-ser ... rd-adapter
George & Julie
3850 RL Full Paint w/ TrailAir Spring Ride System, Kodiak Disc Brakes, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Over 130 Mods

2022 Ford F450 DRW
watkinsk
Cardinal Owners: 2010 Cardinal 3150RL

Post by watkinsk »

I have a Superglide ISR 16K hitch after running with a Reese manual slider for 8 years. The difference in ease of use and reduced chucking is amazing. Plus I never have to worry about the unintentional denting of my cab when turning. The only downside, that I am not sure any other sliders have is that you must be aligned within 15 degrees of straight on when connecting and disconnecting. So if you cannot get a straight run at your rig when hitching up, then Superglide will not work for you. Other than that, it is one of the best investments I have made in towing and the quality is superb.
r/ Keith & Sher
2021 Alliance 340RL
2010 Cardinal 3150RL
2022 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD LTZ, 4x4, SRW, Std Bed
"NEVER, NEVER, NEVER QUIT"...Winston Churchill
snoking

Post by snoking »

I think I have decided on the B&W RVK3270 manual slider and the Reese picture frame. I will rig the V-Box attached to slider with Nylon slides on the bottom of the box so it will slide out onto the tail gate. And then hope I can cobble the large Truck Trunk in ahead of the hitch. Chris
Don Wilson
Region Leader Admin
Cardinal Owners: 2019 3350

Post by Don Wilson »

Chris how soon are you making the purchase?

Don
We don't know a stranger only friends we haven't met yet!

Don
2019 Cardinal 3350RLX Luxury Edition
2014 Dodge 3500 2WD DRW Long Bed

2023 Nights Camped 33
2022 Nights Camped 24
2021 Nights Camped 46

Rallies Attended - 50
Frog - 5
snoking

Post by snoking »

Don Wilson wrote:Chris how soon are you making the purchase?

Don
Hopefully in about a week to 10 days. Marine survey and Sea Trial on boat is Wednesday, closing no later than 22nd. Cross your figures. Some good deals on 2015's. We will have to fly to get the one we want (color/options). Will get Laramie with leather bucket seats with center console between seats and dash, Aisin tranny, short box, keyless to go, hopefully Deep Cherry Red.

Will sell the 2001.5 later.

Chris
snoking

Post by snoking »

So now I am looking at another hitch. Curt makes a puck adapter for the RAM factory 5th wheel setup.I found a very attractive price on the E16 sliding bar head with their R16 slider. So the the whole hitch is $857.

This setup is more compact than the B&W RVK3270 and handles go out drivers side and will not be a problem with bed box.

I have been in love with our Hijacker sliding bar hitch since 1997. So another sliding bar is attractive to me.

Current 5er is 12,400, and anything new we get would be around 14,500. So i am ok with a 16k hitch. Chris
WVcampers
Cardinal Owners: 2018 Cardinal 3250RL Luxury

Post by WVcampers »

I have had more long bed trucks than short. Two of the long beds were crew cab duallys. I now have a crew cab short bed 350. Sometimes I miss the long bed, I call these short bed trucks "wheel barrows" but I still prefer the short bed with the crew cab, it is much easier to get around town, and has a much sharper turning radius. Unless you carry a lot of stuff in the bed, it probably won't bother you at all having a short bed. Besides for the first year it will be new and they are all great when they are new, after the first year you will have adjusted to it :d Sounds like a very nice truck.

I don't know what to say about a hitch. I haven't found a slider that I like. I am considering the Andersen Ultimate. It looks to be the one that I would be able to get out of the truck without getting a hernia. =))
Randy & Carol
Elbie (weiner dog)
2018 Cardinal 3250 RLX Luxury Edition
2019 Ford F350 6.7PSD Lariat 4x4 SRW
snoking

Post by snoking »

WVcampers wrote:
I don't know what to say about a hitch. I haven't found a slider that I like. I am considering the Andersen Ultimate. It looks to be the one that I would be able to get out of the truck without getting a hernia. =))
Cost and weight are the only advantages I see with the Andersen. Disadvantages are more lifting to couple and uncouple, requirement of safety chains in some states, and what will happen in a wreck.

Read post #72 here. http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/2013- ... ces-6.html

Chris
WVcampers
Cardinal Owners: 2018 Cardinal 3250RL Luxury

Post by WVcampers »

snoking wrote:
WVcampers wrote:
Cost and weight are the only advantages I see with the Andersen. Disadvantages are more lifting to couple and uncouple, requirement of safety chains in some states, and what will happen in a wreck.

Read post #72 here. http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/2013- ... ces-6.html

Chris
Thanks for the link. Interesting thoughts about the Andersen hitch.
Randy & Carol
Elbie (weiner dog)
2018 Cardinal 3250 RLX Luxury Edition
2019 Ford F350 6.7PSD Lariat 4x4 SRW
snoking

Post by snoking »

Well we bought a truck from John Elway CDJR in Greeley, Co. We fly out Sunday to begin the return trip to the NW on Monday. Chris

2015 3500 SRW Laramie SB, leather buckets/console, Aisin Tranny, skid plate, block heater, 220 amp alt, Keyless entry n' go, side steps, 8.4 with Nav, AT tires, Remote start and bed liner.

See you at the FROG rally next summer, if not before. No longer boaters.

Chris