New Snoking RAM thread! (Name changed)

Use this forum for technical questions regarding tow vehicles.

Moderators: Mike Clay, Olbird

WVcampers
Cardinal Owners: 2018 Cardinal 3250RL Luxury

Re: Who has gone from a long boxTV to a short box?

Post by WVcampers »

sounds like you are enjoying the truck. It will be ready for the task of towing when you get home. :thumbrt: Really looks nice too.
Randy & Carol
Elbie (weiner dog)
2018 Cardinal 3250 RLX Luxury Edition
2019 Ford F350 6.7PSD Lariat 4x4 SRW
Don Wilson
Region Leader Admin
Cardinal Owners: 2019 3350

Post by Don Wilson »

Yep Chris you now have more than the 500 miles recommended before you tow with it! Let us know how well it handles the Cardinal when you get it hooked up and tow with it!

Don
We don't know a stranger only friends we haven't met yet!

Don
2019 Cardinal 3350RLX Luxury Edition
2014 Dodge 3500 2WD DRW Long Bed

2023 Nights Camped 33
2022 Nights Camped 24
2021 Nights Camped 46

Rallies Attended - 50
Frog - 5
snoking

Post by snoking »

Well we are home with the new truck and just love it.

We left John Elway CDJR in Greeley, Co on Monday at 12:30 and arrived home today (Wednesday) at 12:30.

Monday afternoon - 409 miles to Evanston, Wy
Tuesday - 660 miles to Kennewick, Wa
Wednes - 315 miles to La Conner, Wa

We named her "Cherry" for the Deep Cherry Red paint on the upper half. She talks to us a lot about going over the speed limit, which she just loves to do, so am confused about her telling us this a lot! She also says turn left or right etc. We did not think we wanted NAV, however most Laramie are optioned with it and we are now glad we have it.

FYI we stopped in Marysville and washed off 1350 miles of grim. Want to get to know your new truck right away, buy one 4 states away! Chris
Dogpatch
Cardinal Owners: 2010 Cardinal 3450RL

Post by Dogpatch »

Chris,

So what hitch did you end up going with?
Les, Bonnie, Morgan and (Four Leggers) Bella and Bruce
2010 Cardinal 3450RL pushing our 2015 Ram 3500 Laramie 4X4 SRW SB 6.7 ltr Cummins Turbo Diesel, 68RFE Trans, Air Bags, Pullrite Superglide 2900 18K
snoking

Post by snoking »

Dogpatch wrote:Chris,

So what hitch did you end up going with?
Man, you had to ask!!! I am all over the map. I have the 4 factory pucks to install on the frame mounts.

I think I am settling on the B&W RVK3270 18K manual slider and the Hijacker 6099 picture frame. And maybe a tri-fold bed cover. Will take recommendation of brands for this.

http://www.turnoverball.com/blogs/2014/ ... iot-slider

http://demco-products.com/rv-towing-pro ... ck-bracket

Chris
Dogpatch

Post by Dogpatch »

Can you lock the hitch wherever you want so you don't hit the cab? That's why I was considering a autoslide.

In your research, what are the downsides to the autoslide?
2010 Cardinal 3450RL pushing our 2015 Ram 3500 Laramie 4X4 SRW SB 6.7 ltr Cummins Turbo Diesel, 68RFE Trans, Air Bags, Pullrite Superglide 2900 18K
snoking

Post by snoking »

Dogpatch wrote:Can you lock the hitch wherever you want so you don't hit the cab? That's why I was considering a autoslide.

In your research, what are the downsides to the autoslide?
Most autoslides require the truck to be lined up within 10 degrees of straight on to hook back up and cost!

The manual slide have a lever or handle that you pull or move, then you set the trailer brake and slowly pull forward and it locks in the rear position. To slide it back forward you repeat the steps going the other direct. One guy said that when he gets out to go in to register, he flips his lever and moves slow forward after registering. Chris
Olbird
Council, Asst. Admin
Cardinal Owners: 3850 RL

Post by Olbird »

Snoking,
Are you planning on putting your front hitch and boat racks on the new truck also?
George & Julie
3850 RL Full Paint w/ TrailAir Spring Ride System, Kodiak Disc Brakes, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Over 130 Mods

2022 Ford F450 DRW
WVcampers
Cardinal Owners: 2018 Cardinal 3250RL Luxury

Post by WVcampers »

Do you miss that true diesel sound? I have to admit that I did for a while. The 6.0 really had a nice turbo whine.
Randy & Carol
Elbie (weiner dog)
2018 Cardinal 3250 RLX Luxury Edition
2019 Ford F350 6.7PSD Lariat 4x4 SRW
snoking

Post by snoking »

Olbird wrote:Snoking,
Are you planning on putting your front hitch and boat racks on the new truck also?
Don't think so at this point. Made it for the std cab. Got plenty to do between now and 27th of Dec. Chris
jtaylor1920

Post by jtaylor1920 »

I don't think you can go wrong with a B&W hitch. Great company and a great product. If the "boss" let's me get a new truck and I find one with the built in pucks I'll get a B&W. If it doesn't have the pucks then I'll install another turn over ball adapter and keep my current B&W. If you can't tell I really like the B&W products :d
snoking

Post by snoking »

jtaylor1920 wrote:I don't think you can go wrong with a B&W hitch. Great company and a great product. If the "boss" let's me get a new truck and I find one with the built in pucks I'll get a B&W. If it doesn't have the pucks then I'll install another turn over ball adapter and keep my current B&W. If you can't tell I really like the B&W products :d
I bought the factory pucks to install myself. The frame mounts are already there. Just have to drill the four 3 3/4" holes in the bed and bolt them into the frame mounts. Then install the trailer wiring kit. Turns out 3 3/4 is not a standard size that Lowes or Home Depot stocks, so I ordered one on Amazon.

I may have screwed up!!! DW likes driving the new truck! So I can no longer say "if you do not like the way I am driving then you drive!" Use to work!

Chris
BMullins46
Cardinal Owners: 06 Cardinal 31RKT; 2016 XLR 385AMP
2012 Ford F350 DRW, Lariat 6.7 Diesel.

Post by BMullins46 »

Chris, do you know if the bed liner is the spray in kind or one of those drop in units? If it's the drop in like I had in my '06 Megacab be very careful when getting in the bed cause they can be VERY slippery.
Bill & Debbie
06 31RKT, MorRyde LRE/4000; 2016 XLR 385AMP
2012 F350 DRW 4X2 Lariat, 6.7 Diesel, TransferFlow aux fuel tank
Fur babies, Betty and Cocoa
Nights camping
2011-102; '12-111; '13-89; '14-108; '15-142; '16-92; '17-163; '18-81
Dogpatch

Post by Dogpatch »

Mine comes with the spray in. It's like sandpaper.
snoking

Post by snoking »

BMullins46 wrote:Chris, do you know if the bed liner is the spray in kind or one of those drop in units? If it's the drop in like I had in my '06 Megacab be very careful when getting in the bed cause they can be VERY slippery.

Liner is a spray in. I ordered an OEM park view camera and wiring harness today to mount on the back of my V-Box so we can leave the tailgate home when trailering. Will keep you updated on this project. Chris