5th wheel hitch for Dodge, shortbed 2500

Use this forum for technical questions regarding tow vehicles.

Moderators: Mike Clay, Olbird

tschmalz

5th wheel hitch for Dodge, shortbed 2500

Post by tschmalz »

I am in the process of buying a 30RKLE 5th wheel and trying to decide what brand and type of hitch to install in my 2005 Dodge P.U. Some hitch installers have told me that you can not drill the frame on the Dodge P.U. because it will crush the frame and void your warranty. Others say you can drill one side of the frame and with a special kit, install the hitch.
I am also looking for suggestions with regards to the brand of hitch. My vehicle is a short bed so I will need to install a slider type. Has anyone installed theirs on a Dodge P.U. where the hitch rails are under the bed. Any suggestions or personal experiences with 5th wheel hitches in newer Dodge P.U.s would be appreciated.
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator
Cardinal Owners: 2016 3850RL Estate
Skype ID: Mike-Clay

Post by Mike Clay »

I have the long bed but when I put my Reese hitch in there was a special kit to hook it to the frame.
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
2016 3850RL Estate "Proto Grigio"
2019 Silverado 3500HD Dually D/A 4x4 LTZ
My dreams are too big for my wallet
Rallies attended - 32

Nights camping in 2013:159 2014:269 2015:Full Timers
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

I'm sure you'll hear from the Dodge owners and those with short beds shortly but I just wanted to say welcome to the club and congratulations on the purchase of your new trailer.

There are a lot of nice people in this club and the knowledge and experience of the members here are remarkable. And they are willing to share those talents with anyone who ask.

Rob
campswithcritters
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2005 34RLT
Skype ID: campswithcritters

Post by campswithcritters »

I know that pull-rite sells a mounting kit for standard, sliding, or auto-sliding super-glide hitches that does not require drilling the frame. I believe critterenter has that set-up, might try PMing him. I think the kit is called super-rails and actually acts as a frame doubler/strengthener.
Bruce & Sharon Full-time since Nov 06
Boogie, & Jack ("the critters")
Shields
Cardinal Owners: 31 RK LE

Post by Shields »

We put a Reese 15K in, no slider, our long bed. Took it to the dealer and never heard a discouraging word. And our frame is still in one piece.
Al and Nadine
Cardinal 31RK, 2006
2009 Dodge Cummins 3500 Dually.
Dorr, Michigan
rvthereyet

Post by rvthereyet »

OWN A SUPERGLIDE AND LOVE IT :D I ALSO HAVE A TOW VEHICLE WITH A SHORT BOX. 8)
rvthereyet

Post by rvthereyet »

OWN A SUPERGLIDE AND LOVE IT :D I ALSO HAVE A TOW VEHICLE WITH A SHORT BOX. 8)
TwoFeds
Cardinal Owners: 2007 Cardinal 30LE

Post by TwoFeds »

We have a 2006 Dodge 2500 short bed and the pullrite superglide. On our first trip with the 5th wheel we had to make a 90 degree turn and had no problems. The truck has been back to the dealer several times and they've never mentioned anything about the holes in the truck bed.
Terri & Danny
2010 Dodge Ram 3500/Shortbed Diesel
2007 Cardinal 30le
CritterRenter

Post by CritterRenter »

campswithcritters wrote:I know that pull-rite sells a mounting kit for standard, sliding, or auto-sliding super-glide hitches that does not require drilling the frame. I believe critterenter has that set-up, might try PMing him. I think the kit is called super-rails and actually acts as a frame doubler/strengthener.
I have the removable super-rails, (I think that is the name of the kit) and did have to cut holes in the bed. The rails are held in place with pins which cam locks into brackets bolted to the frame. The frame part of the install is a "no drill" kit. The Super-Glide is a great hitch for the short bed.
Olbird
Council, Asst. Admin
Cardinal Owners: 3850 RL

Post by Olbird »

I also have a Pullrite Superglide also and, very easy to hook up and seems to lock in place tight and pulls without a any loose motion.

They are costly but well built and work great, some other options are out now like rotating pin boxes.
George & Julie
3850 RL Full Paint w/ TrailAir Spring Ride System, Kodiak Disc Brakes, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Over 130 Mods

2022 Ford F450 DRW