2013 Chev tow vehicle

Use this forum for technical questions regarding tow vehicles.

Moderators: Mike Clay, Olbird

dfredendall
Council, Moderator
Cardinal Owners: 2018 Cardinal 3350RLX- Luxury Edition

Re: 2013 Chev tow vehicle

Post by dfredendall »

This is always a fascinating topic. The best thing anybody can do is load their rig as they normally travel, fill the fuel and propane tanks, load the wife, kids and dogs in the truck and head out...
TO THE CLOSEST TRUCK SCALES.

Get an accurate scale reading on both front and rear truck axles and trailer axles for the GCVW. a three plate scale will allow you to park and isolate the axles. Then pull ahead to the forward two scale plates, drop the trailer from the truck, pull the truck off the scales and weigh the trailer with the front jacks on one scale plate and the trailer wheels on a separate plate. As with my bathroom scale, unfortunately the scales do not lie. Mike MC, that is how you will truly know what you have. Compare it to the truck ratings. As Ron has stated, nothing will increase the capacity of the truck. Some aftermarket equipment can stabilize the load some. Close numbers can be remedied with a trailer diet. Often we carry more things than we need or use. After the scale revelation you can make make your own decision regarding your margins. Keep in mind sitting still, static on a scale is one thing. Weight dynamics increase exponentially as you bounce and bang up and down our scenic highways. FYI I have a smaller trailer and tow with a 1 ton truck. Safety First.
Dana & Cindy Fredendall
Highland, California
2018 3350RLX- Luxury Edition
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7 Diesel
There are great experiences and new friends everywhere we go!
MCairwing
Cardinal Owners: 3250RL

Post by MCairwing »

rplato wrote:Air bags will help with squatting and ride smoothness, but they don't add carrying capacity.
good to know...thanks
dfredendall
Council, Moderator
Cardinal Owners: 2018 Cardinal 3350RLX- Luxury Edition

Post by dfredendall »

Here is a prime example why we should go to scales and weigh our rigs. My daughter and son in-law bought a new 36' (FR SOB) pull trailer a year ago. We set him up with a Reese WD hitch that I had used prior to getting our fifth wheel. "All is good." Not so. After using the set up, I was not satisfied with the way the 1000 lbs. rated hitch bars were bowed to carry the load, even though the FR literature stated his hitch weight under 1000 lbs. We took the rig to scales yesterday. His tongue/hitch weight is 1340 LBS. Those 1000 Lbs. bars are over loaded. The axles and GCVWR was under the limits for everything else. We are upgrading his hitch to the 1500 lbs. rated WD bars. His current set "works", but not safely. I realize a hitch is cheaper than a truck, which he already did, but facts are facts.
Dana & Cindy Fredendall
Highland, California
2018 3350RLX- Luxury Edition
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7 Diesel
There are great experiences and new friends everywhere we go!