Dodge Truck Recall

Use this forum for technical questions regarding tow vehicles.

Moderators: Mike Clay, Olbird

safrog
Cardinal Owners: 2016 3850 RL Cardinal
2016 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax
2016 days RVing-141
2015 days RVing-65

Dodge Truck Recall

Post by safrog »

Just ran across this.
Nearly half-million Ram pickup trucks recalled – possible fire risk

September 19, 2017 RV Staff
From press release
September 19, 2017 – Fiat Chrysler Automobiles (FCA US LLC) is voluntarily recalling an estimated 443,712 U.S.-market heavy-duty pickups and medium-duty trucks to inspect and replace, if necessary, their water pumps.

Affected are model-year 2013-17 Ram 2500 and 3500 pickups; and 3500, 4500 and 5500 chassis cabs.

Customer feedback prompted an FCA US investigation that discovered certain trucks are equipped with a water-pump bearing that, after exposure to certain conditions, may overheat and potentially cause an engine-compartment fire.

FCA US is unaware of any related injuries or accidents. The Company no longer equips its vehicles with the subject water pump.

Compromised water-pump function may activate a warning light in an affected vehicle’s instrument cluster. Customers are urged to consult their dealers whenever they observe warning lights.

The recall is limited to trucks equipped with 6.7-liter engines. Affected customers will be advised when service becomes available.

As always, FCA US urges customers to heed information on all recall notices; those who have questions or concerns may call the FCA US Recall Information Center at (800)-853-1403.

Additional populations of these vehicles will be recalled in Canada (est. 46,220) and some markets outside the NAFTA region (est. 4,485).
Sandy & James Richard
Bon Jour

Cardinal 3850 RL
GMC Denali 3500
mbrolin
Cardinal Owners: 2019 Cardinal 3456 RLX

Re: Dodge Truck Recall

Post by mbrolin »

There is a possibility the water pump bearing may seize causing the serpentine belt to slip and heat up. I have read of a few Cummins owners having to replace there water pump due to failure with a relatively few miles on the truck. The water pump is a Cummins installed part and not FCA even though they announced the recall. Cummins as well as a majority of other manufacturers get there parts from all over the world. Been seeing more and more recalls from all manufacturers in regards to out sourced parts. No quality control or lack of standards seems to be the norm . FYI, I had over 100k on my last Ram w/Cummins and never had to touch the water pump. Also I have not received a recall notice yet. It takes a while after a public announcement to get them sent out.
Mike & Sandy
2019 Cardinal 3456 Luxury Edition
2018 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab Aisin 6spd Dually
RetiredFifthWheeler
Cardinal Owners: 3825FL Fifth-Wheel

Post by RetiredFifthWheeler »

mbrolin wrote:There is a possibility the water pump bearing may seize causing the serpentine belt to slip and heat up. I have read of a few Cummins owners having to replace there water pump due to failure with a relatively few miles on the truck. The water pump is a Cummins installed part and not FCA even though they announced the recall. Cummins as well as a majority of other manufacturers get there parts from all over the world. Been seeing more and more recalls from all manufacturers in regards to out sourced parts. No quality control or lack of standards seems to be the norm . FYI, I had over 100k on my last Ram w/Cummins and never had to touch the water pump. Also I have not received a recall notice yet. It takes a while after a public announcement to get them sent out.
We have a 2011 Ram 3500 with a Cummins engine that just crossed 100,000 miles with no water pump issues.
Wayne & Ruth Spong

2016 3825fl
2011 Dodge Ram 3500 / Cummins Turbo Diesel
Good Sam Life Members
Rallies attended - 3 (+ 4 FROG)
Don Wilson
Region Leader Admin
Cardinal Owners: 2019 3350

Post by Don Wilson »

RetiredFifthWheeler wrote:
mbrolin wrote:There is a possibility the water pump bearing may seize causing the serpentine belt to slip and heat up. I have read of a few Cummins owners having to replace there water pump due to failure with a relatively few miles on the truck. The water pump is a Cummins installed part and not FCA even though they announced the recall. Cummins as well as a majority of other manufacturers get there parts from all over the world. Been seeing more and more recalls from all manufacturers in regards to out sourced parts. No quality control or lack of standards seems to be the norm . FYI, I had over 100k on my last Ram w/Cummins and never had to touch the water pump. Also I have not received a recall notice yet. It takes a while after a public announcement to get them sent out.
We have a 2011 Ram 3500 with a Cummins engine that just crossed 100,000 miles with no water pump issues.
I have a 2006 Dodge 3500 with the Cummins 5.9 with 179,000 miles and just changed the serpentine belt for the 1st time at about 173,000 before I left on the Bar Harbor Washington DC trip.

Don
We don't know a stranger only friends we haven't met yet!

Don
2019 Cardinal 3350RLX Luxury Edition
2014 Dodge 3500 2WD DRW Long Bed

2023 Nights Camped 33
2022 Nights Camped 24
2021 Nights Camped 46

Rallies Attended - 50
Frog - 5
nra4life
Cardinal Owners: 2006 Cardinal 30TS
Skype ID: 30TS & Dodge

Post by nra4life »

We had our air conditioner compressor lock up and fry the serpentine belt while we were in Goshen. I guess 252,000 miles is not too bad! We got some smoke, but no fire. When the belt gets dragged over a locked up pulley, it gets hot in a hurry! I can understand the fire issue with the water pump! It took the mechanic over an hour to scrape the belt debris out of the pulleys before he could install the new belt. We used the shop straight out the gate at the fair grounds. They turned out to be an excellent shop. After a few days, they called us to make sure the job was done correctly. Roy & JoAnn
Roy & Kay Studer
2006 30TS Blue inside, 7K axles, disc brakes, MORryde pin box, Lippert Equa-Flex
2021 Ram 2500 Crew Cab 4wd Diesel w/ Superglide, transfer flow 30 gal. tank/toolbox