F350 SD Crew DRW tran & collant questions

Use this forum for technical questions regarding tow vehicles.

Moderators: Mike Clay, Olbird

mcbridejmcb
Cardinal Owners: 2018 Cardinal Estate 3850

F350 SD Crew DRW tran & collant questions

Post by mcbridejmcb »

For all the F350 dually owners out there, what mileage are you having the transmission serviced and the coolant ??? I have a 2015 model with approx 34K miles.. The dealer told me that I should have a transmission service at 30K.. I think it was just a flush but looking in the owners manual, I didn't see where it was stated what the interval was. The truck is a daily driver as well as towing the Cardinal (loaded probably around 15.5 K lbs.). What are most of you doing and at what intervals for transmission flush or complete drop the pan and filter service on the tranny.

Also what about coolant flush? Ever so often I get the dash message to check coolant additive! Notice last outing, my engine temp towing in the mnts at mid to upper 80's was getting up to about 240-250 degrees.. Transmission temp was fine. What temp do most of you get towing in hot weather on mountain grades??
2015 F350 DRW 4WD Crew Cab
2018 Cardinal Estate 3850RELS
Hensley BD3 Air Ride hitch
Traveling Wife/Best Friend Michele
dpalmer
Council, Moderator
Cardinal Owners: 2018 3456

Re: F350 SD Crew DRW tran & collant questions

Post by dpalmer »

We have a 2015 F350 Dually and have had the coolant checked once at about 30K, The manual recommends a flush at 60K i just had it done at 68K after the coolant check notice appeared and the transfer case fluid was changed at the same time. I use the truck scheduled maintenance and confirm with my dealer. From what I understand the message is only a reminder and does not indicate anything is wrong. Love our truck :d
Dave & Karen
2018 3456
2021 F350 XLT, 4x4 Dually
Rallies Attended = 22 and 3 F.R.O.G.
Full-time as of 10/1/2016
Secondhand Mike
Cardinal Owners: 2004 Cardinal 29XL

Post by Secondhand Mike »

I do not own a Ford but 240 to 250 coolant temps are extreme. I wouldn’t want my temps past 220. Make sure that your fan clutch is engaging. Also check for bugs or dirty fins on radiator/ A/C condenser. Possible termastat not opening completely. Check coolant hoses for firmness. They could possibly be collapsing during high rpm’s. My truck has a manual transmission and I keep my rpm’s high when pulling in mountain areas.
Mike and Cherryl Clem
2004 Cardinal 29WBLX
2008 Dodge Ram Quad Cab Long Bed 3500
6.7 Cummins Turbo 4x4 Dually

Rallies Attended - 4
FROG Rallies - 3
jtaylor1920

Post by jtaylor1920 »

Those temps seem high to me as well. I’d ask the dealer to use a coolant test strip to make sure everything is ok. Ford does have an additive that has to be added periodically to keep everything in balance. Since you’re not throwing codes or going into limp mode I wouldn’t race to the dealer, but I’d get in soon and probably before the next tow. The nice thing about the modern trucks is they will protect themselves from over over heating, but you don’t want to be in that position as you’re going up a big grade.
Bgjacobsma
Cardinal Owners: 2015 3850 Full body paint
Rally's attended- 4 Jackson, 1 National, 2 FROG

Post by Bgjacobsma »

I have a ram 3500 I just service mine in June before we left on our trip. I had 58k on it they recommend 60K had trans and rear end service good to go!!
Brad & Gayle Jacobsma
2019 Ram 3500 Lariat crew DRW
2015 3850 Full Body Paint
Rally's attended- 5

FROG-2