BG245

Use this forum for technical questions regarding tow vehicles.

Moderators: Mike Clay, Olbird

Don Wilson
Region Leader Admin
Cardinal Owners: 2019 3350

BG245

Post by Don Wilson »

I saw an article on the BG 245 fuel system additive that cleans out the injector tube and injectors. It also claims to clean out the fuel pumps, and lines as well and you need to change the fuel filters shortly after running it through the system as it cleans all the build ups that diesel creates.

I am wondering if any of our members have tried this product and what was the consensus as to how it had worked.

Don
We don't know a stranger only friends we haven't met yet!

Don
2019 Cardinal 3350RLX Luxury Edition
2014 Dodge 3500 2WD DRW Long Bed

2023 Nights Camped 33
2022 Nights Camped 24
2021 Nights Camped 46

Rallies Attended - 50
Frog - 5
dfredendall
Council, Moderator
Cardinal Owners: 2018 Cardinal 3350RLX- Luxury Edition

Re: BG245

Post by dfredendall »

I am not familiar with the product. The need to change filters after is interesting. It must really clean the pipes. It seems like it is meant as an occasional/one time cleanse rather than an additive used at fuel stops. I think if we purchase clean algae free, water free fuel from good dealers we wouldn’t need such a cleansing treatment. Now if you buy a lot of dirty diesel such as what is found in Mexico it could be useful for a deep clean. Just thinking out loud.
Dana & Cindy Fredendall
Highland, California
2018 3350RLX- Luxury Edition
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7 Diesel
There are great experiences and new friends everywhere we go!
Don Wilson
Region Leader Admin
Cardinal Owners: 2019 3350

Post by Don Wilson »

dfredendall wrote:I am not familiar with the product. The need to change filters after is interesting. It must really clean the pipes. It seems like it is meant as an occasional/one time cleanse rather than an additive used at fuel stops. I think if we purchase clean algae free, water free fuel from good dealers we wouldn’t need such a cleansing treatment. Now if you buy a lot of dirty diesel such as what is found in Mexico it could be useful for a deep clean. Just thinking out loud.
I have been using Diesel Kleene in my 2006 and now the 2014 it was recommended to me by Nick DiPietro several years ago and then again at Eloy in January. Even with using that in my 2006 Ram in 2014 I had to replace the number 4 fuel injector tube in Goshen/Napanne Indiana and then the number 1 fuel injector and injector tube in Niagara Falls New York.

I have included this information from the BG Prod website

Current diesel fuel system cleaners remove deposits from the injector tip but fail to reach inside the injector itself. BG 245 removes and dissolves deposits from the entire diesel injection system, including inside fuel injectors and combustion chambers.

BG 245 is especially effective in removing heavy deposits inside the injectors of high temperature, HPCR fuel delivery systems. Plus, BG 245 contains a fuel lubricity agent and cetane improver for cold starts.

BG 245 Premium Diesel Fuel System Cleaner is backed by the Lifetime BG Protection Plan®. To maintain coverage, get a BG Diesel Engine Performance Service every 10,000 miles (16,000 km)!

I have not heard of these products so that is the reason for my inquiry and I know there are some people on here which are way more knowledgeable than me.

Don
We don't know a stranger only friends we haven't met yet!

Don
2019 Cardinal 3350RLX Luxury Edition
2014 Dodge 3500 2WD DRW Long Bed

2023 Nights Camped 33
2022 Nights Camped 24
2021 Nights Camped 46

Rallies Attended - 50
Frog - 5
dfredendall
Council, Moderator
Cardinal Owners: 2018 Cardinal 3350RLX- Luxury Edition

Post by dfredendall »

Very informative Don. I learned some things. Thanks.
Dana & Cindy Fredendall
Highland, California
2018 3350RLX- Luxury Edition
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7 Diesel
There are great experiences and new friends everywhere we go!
watkinsk
Cardinal Owners: 2010 Cardinal 3150RL

Post by watkinsk »

I used BG once at the recommendation of a mechanic. It wasn’t cheap. Did it work, who knows but I never had an injector problem. :bounce: :bounce: I do know BG products have a good reputation.
Personally I use Sea Foam once every 6 months in my diesel truck and gas cars, motorcycle. I also use it every spring in the lawnmower. It is an amazing cleaner at ridding fuel systems of sludge.
r/ Keith & Sher
2021 Alliance 340RL
2010 Cardinal 3150RL
2022 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD LTZ, 4x4, SRW, Std Bed
"NEVER, NEVER, NEVER QUIT"...Winston Churchill
jacknife
Cardinal Owners: 2013Cardinal 3030
TV 2020 Ram 3500 4x4 HO 6.7 Cummins

Post by jacknife »

As mentioned BG is a reputable company that backs their products .
Big Bird
Cardinal Owners: 2018 Cardinal 3250

Post by Big Bird »

Lucas and several other companies make similar products. I add Lucas because on our trip home from the 7 Feathers Rally years ago, I filled up at a local Shell station before heading home. Climbing the pass on I 5 into California, I had a loss of power. The nearest Ford dealer was in Redding. My high pressure fuel pump had been destroyed by water and contaminates in the fuel. Shell Houston told me they had records of a drop of diesel that morning at that station.

$4,000 later the service manager advised me to use additives such as Lucas to read water and other contaminates, and clean injectors. He said pick ups just do not have sufficient filtration to clean diesel fuel. By the way my insurance company paid for the repairs because of the dirty fuel.

Additive products claim to increase mileage and horse power too. I can say, I have never had injector problems and have not had a repeat of the water/contaminate problem. No increase in power or mileage.

p s Rodney filled up same place, same time. He had same problem, same day.

Happy trails
Big Bird

Marv and Jackie