Anyone have about a '06 F350 4x4 PSD & Cardinal 31RKLE/e

Use this forum for technical questions regarding tow vehicles.

Moderators: Mike Clay, Olbird

markj
Cardinal Owners: Cardinal 31RKLE

Anyone have about a '06 F350 4x4 PSD & Cardinal 31RKLE/e

Post by markj »

I'll try to keep this short. Haha. When I bought both rigs, my truck was high in the back, 5er very high in front. I replaced the 4" blocks with 2" in rear of F350. Truck is now low in back, 5er is still slightly high. F350 is just rubbing the overloads.

I'm considering 3" blocks, or air bags, although I've been told airbags support a truck where they are NOT designed to be supported!

Anyone have any experience with my issues?
2007 Cardinal 31RKLE
Hijacker 21K underfloor mount
Fifth Airborne pin box
2006 Ford F350 PSD extended cab
1990 Seaswirl fishing boat!
Kiki (the cat)
Rob & Cathy

Re: Anyone have about a '06 F350 4x4 PSD & Cardinal 31RK

Post by Rob & Cathy »

markj wrote:I'm considering 3" blocks, or air bags, although I've been told airbags support a truck where they are NOT designed to be supported!
I debated and debated on whether to get air bags or not. I did get the air bags as you can see by my signature because I liked the idea of being able to tweak the bed height if needed. With all that said I only have 25lbs of air in the bags and with the truck level I just touch the overload springs.

I'm not sure what they mean by NOT designed to be supported. Firestone has two different air bags attachment systems. On their "no drill" system the air bags attach inside the frame and sit on top the axle. With the drill type, which is what I choice, the air bags attach to the outside of the frame and sit on top of the springs and provide support at the same place as the springs.

As far as the trailer height have you looked a adjustments at the hitch and the king pin? My king bin is adjusted all the way to top and my Hijacker hitch height is also adjustable.

Rob
Olbird
Council, Asst. Admin
Cardinal Owners: 3850 RL

Post by Olbird »

I am with Rob on this topic, I also installed the bolt on air bags and they work great for adding a little spring support on those bad roads. I only run about 35 lbs with the 5er hooked up, I would never tell anyone to install airbags that has a underated truck to increase load rating but it is great for adjusting bed height and controling bounce.

It sounds like you need to adjust your pinbox or lower your hitch in the bed, just make sure you have proper clearance over the bed rails.

I have a F350 4x4 with no height problems and my rig sits level, you want the 5er to sit as close to level as you can so the weight is distributed correct on the tires.
George & Julie
3850 RL Full Paint w/ TrailAir Spring Ride System, Kodiak Disc Brakes, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Over 130 Mods

2022 Ford F450 DRW