Engine Pulse or Surge Issue

Use this forum for technical questions regarding tow vehicles.

Moderators: Mike Clay, Olbird

Don Wilson
Region Leader Admin
Cardinal Owners: 2019 3350

Engine Pulse or Surge Issue

Post by Don Wilson »

I have been having a problem with my 2014 Ram 3500 and am wanting to see if anyone else has experienced it and if so what is was the fix.

Issue - The problem is the engine almost feels like it is going to die and then it will ramp back up to normal rpm and the pick up feels like it lurches forward a few inches. It is intermittent and happens when driving and coming to a stop sign or signal light or parking in a parking lot but the first time it happen was in November when in stop and go traffic on the freeway going to the Bay area. It did not happen again Dec 15 and I took it to the shop I use and they had it for 4 days and test drove it throughout the day on each of those 4 days but have been unable to duplicate the issue. Then this week on Tuesday it happened several times and a couple of times it actually died but restarts easily so we thought it might be a fuel issue so Wednesday we changed the fuel filter on the firewall and the fuel and water separator fuel filter and air filter however on Thursday it did it again.

Thursday thinking it might be a transmission problem I took it to the transmission shop I have used for several years on both my 2006 and this 2014 and it had the issue at every signal light and then at the last light 1/2 block from his shop it shut down and died and then took 45 seconds to a minute before it would restart. I drove it the 1/2 block to his shop shut it off and then he hooked up his code reader computer with there was no code and we then started it up and drove it for 35 minutes with the computer hooked up and stopped numerous (like 35) times and it would not duplicate the problem. I drove it about 25 miles today and it runs perfectly but I have an appointment this coming Wednesday

It does not throw a check engine code!

Past issues or repairs with the pickup
April 2021 - Replaced the Turbo Charger
January 2022 - Replaced the upstream Nitrogen Oxide Sensor

Don
We don't know a stranger only friends we haven't met yet!

Don
2019 Cardinal 3350RLX Luxury Edition
2014 Dodge 3500 2WD DRW Long Bed

2023 Nights Camped 33
2022 Nights Camped 24
2021 Nights Camped 46

Rallies Attended - 50
Frog - 5
graham
Cardinal Owners: 2007 (cardinal) 31 RKLE tow vehicle 2006 dodge 3500 w/ ctd 6 speed manual W/ jake cool air box , no mufflr(sp?) onan 5500 gen set (lp) in 5er
Skype ID: ok to contact

Re: Engine Pulse or Surge Issue

Post by graham »

Don,this sounds just like a problem i had some years ago in two different comm.trucks .the first one was a 2005 Peterbuilt with a cummins C10,exactly the same issue as you,it would have the issue off and on for the 2 years i drove it,the shop could never get it to do this and never stored a code.i heard a few years later that the motor blew up.then in 20009 i had the same issue with a 2000,Kenworth with a cummins C10 motor ,same issue, shop could never duplicate the issue, they did however put lots of $into the motor but never fixed it,that motor blew up in 2011,for a different driver.no one could ever figure it out,and Cummins would never admit fault,I wish i could give you some GOOD news but i don't have an answer, i have a 2006 dodge with the cummins C6 (5.9) i hope i never have this problem but if i did i would have to sell it!
sorry for the bad news,Graham. wish i could help ,hope you can find someone to fix it,as i am curious. :(
Graham & Judy Winter 2007 Cardinal 31 RKLE 5500 onan lp gen set 06 Dodge Big Horn slt Cummins turbo 6speed man.trans w/ jake
watkinsk
Cardinal Owners: 2010 Cardinal 3150RL

Post by watkinsk »

Don, just a thoughts…have you noticed any changes in the DEF regen frequency signaling a problem with EGRs or the Diesel Particulate Filter?
r/ Keith & Sher
2021 Alliance 340RL
2010 Cardinal 3150RL
2022 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD LTZ, 4x4, SRW, Std Bed
"NEVER, NEVER, NEVER QUIT"...Winston Churchill
Don Wilson
Region Leader Admin
Cardinal Owners: 2019 3350

Post by Don Wilson »

watkinsk wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:05 pm Don, just a thoughts…have you noticed any changes in the DEF regen frequency signaling a problem with EGRs or the Diesel Particulate Filter?
Keith,
I really don't notice when it Regens as it does not have a message and I don't see excessive RPM but I did use 9.5 gallons of DEF fluid on the 3,800 mile Bryce Rally trip in September October 2021. Filled before leaving and I added 4.5 gallons at Jamestown near Gallup on the trip out and then 4.5 gallons in Tehachapi CA on the way home. I have not added any since I got home but have only driven a couple thousand miles since getting home.

Don
We don't know a stranger only friends we haven't met yet!

Don
2019 Cardinal 3350RLX Luxury Edition
2014 Dodge 3500 2WD DRW Long Bed

2023 Nights Camped 33
2022 Nights Camped 24
2021 Nights Camped 46

Rallies Attended - 50
Frog - 5
mbrolin
Cardinal Owners: 2019 Cardinal 3456 RLX

Post by mbrolin »

Could be the fuel control actuator (FCA) It controls the fuel output for the CP3 fuel pump
Mike & Sandy
2019 Cardinal 3456 Luxury Edition
2018 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab Aisin 6spd Dually