Drive or 3rd?

Use this forum for technical questions regarding tow vehicles.

Moderators: Mike Clay, Olbird

Judi
Cardinal Owners: 2007 30 TS

Drive or 3rd?

Post by Judi »

Ok all you drivers out there......we have the 30TS and pull with 2004 2500HD 6.6L Diesel. Do you keep it in drive or 3rd going down the road? Also when at a full stop, do you start off in 1st or 2nd gear and then change to 3rd or Drive? Just want to make sure. Thanks alot.
Judi
Full Timer Want-to-be
2007 TS30
2004 Chevy 2500HD 6.6L D'Max
snuffy

Post by snuffy »

Just put it in D and push in the tow haul button. No need to use the other gears. The Allison will do the rest. IN tow haul mode it will even help gear itself down when you start slowing.
Don Wilson
Region Leader Admin
Cardinal Owners: 2019 3350

Post by Don Wilson »

The advice Snuffy gave you is the way to tow your trailer! The only thing I do differently is if I am towing in town I will push the button until I get into the overdrive off mode. Once back on the highway or Freeway I go back to the tow mode!

Don
We don't know a stranger only friends we haven't met yet!

Don
2019 Cardinal 3350RLX Luxury Edition
2014 Dodge 3500 2WD DRW Long Bed

2023 Nights Camped 33
2022 Nights Camped 24
2021 Nights Camped 46

Rallies Attended - 50
Frog - 5
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

I too agree with Snuffy. I just put mine in tow-haul mode and gear selection in drive. The transmission will actually run cooler in tow-haul because there is less slippage in the torque converter hence firmer shifting. Plus in tow-haul mode you will have engine breaking when going down hill or slowing down.

Rob
Last edited by Rob & Cathy on Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
snuffy

Post by snuffy »

If I'm only getting up to 50-55 mph, then I will bump the tow-haul off until the transmission changes into OD and then I put it back on. Has worked for me.
Tim

Post by Tim »

Around town I put the rig in tow/haul. On the road in the flatlands around here, I just put it in drive and roll. In hilly terrain, I'll drop into T/H going up steep inclines and use it as a brake when going down same.
campswithcritters
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2005 34RLT
Skype ID: campswithcritters

Post by campswithcritters »

The allison will do the work for you, just select tow haul and drive. The transmission is designed to learn the load and automatically adapt.
Bruce & Sharon Full-time since Nov 06
Boogie, & Jack ("the critters")
Judi

Post by Judi »

Thanks for all the replies. Someone said not to use the tow haul because it used for diesel, and we just returned back from trip up near Memphis without using it in those hills on I-55. Sure wish I would have used it now...
Judi
Full Timer Want-to-be
2007 TS30
Judi

Post by Judi »

Sure wish I could learn to spell...I mean it "used" more diesel. I will use it next time for sure! Now if only the roads in Louisiana were good enough to stop all of the "bucking" tug of war on that hitch. :?
Judi
Full Timer Want-to-be
2007 TS30
campswithcritters
exempt member

Judi wrote:Thanks for all the replies. Someone said not to use the tow haul because it used for diesel, and we just returned back from trip up near Memphis without using it in those hills on I-55. Sure wish I would have used it now...
Judi, who ever told you that was thinking of the old GM 4 speed automatic which could not be used for towing in overdrive. The allison is designed for heavy duty use and will perform much better when towing using the tow/haul function. You will notice the engine will rev higher before shifting when accelerating using tow haul, and it will downshift automatically when slowing. Those are normal functions and nothing to worry about. Just put it in drive and activate the tow/haul when towing and watch the road and scenery, the truck will do the rest.
Judi

Post by Judi »

Thanks Bruce! I will do exactly that! I hope we didnt hurt the truck too much by keeping it in drive and NOT using the tow/haul mode going 500 miles to Memphis....live and learn and boy have I learned something today! :wink:
Judi
Full Timer Want-to-be
2007 TS30
campswithcritters
exempt member

Judi wrote:Thanks Bruce! I will do exactly that! I hope we didnt hurt the truck too much by keeping it in drive and NOT using the tow/haul mode going 500 miles to Memphis....live and learn and boy have I learned something today! :wink:
I'm sure a mere 500 miles would have done no damage to one of the toughest transmissions on the market, no worries. :)
Future Fulltimers
Cardinal Owners: 2006 30TS

Post by Future Fulltimers »

Judi wrote:Thanks Bruce! I will do exactly that! I hope we didnt hurt the truck too much by keeping it in drive and NOT using the tow/haul mode going 500 miles to Memphis....live and learn and boy have I learned something today! :wink:
Not the truck, just your wallet :mrgreen:
Wayne & Peggy Williamson
Rocky
GoodSam Lifetime Members
2006 30TS
2007 Silverado 3500 Classic 6.6L D'Max
AirSafe 25k hitch
dmitchem
Cardinal Owners: 2006 31RKT

Post by dmitchem »

Running in drive with tow/haul mode should not have hurt anything.

As stated before the Allison is differnet from other atoumatic tranmissions. Tow/haul does not lock out overdrive by defaut. It changes the shift points and when the torque converter locks. This will be noticed by higher RPM shift points and downshifting when slowing down. Once in overdrive (usually at 60 mph) the final drive gear ratio is the same wheather you are in just "D" or tow/haul mode so the milage should be the same. If running at below 60 a quick off on tow mode will cause the final shift to take place and then reactivate tow mode.

Sometime on grades the transmission will downshift more than necessary causing excessive rpms. If this happens just turn tow mode off and it will usually upshift, you may have to apply some pedal preasure first, and then brake to a lower speed.

As stated it "learns" as you go but sometime it learns a little to well.
David & Pam
2006 Cardinal 31RKT
2002 2500HD Duramax
Judi

Post by Judi »

Thanks so much for all of this valuable explanation of how the tow/haul mode works. I am beginning to understand it now. :D
Judi
Full Timer Want-to-be
2007 TS30