Drive or 3rd?

Use this forum for technical questions regarding tow vehicles.

Moderators: Mike Clay, Olbird

snuffy

Post by snuffy »

dmitchem wrote:Running in drive with tow/haul mode should not have hurt anything.

Sometime on grades the transmission will downshift more than necessary causing excessive rpms. If this happens just turn tow mode off and it will usually upshift, you may have to apply some pedal preasure first, and then brake to a lower speed.

As stated it "learns" as you go but sometime it learns a little to well.
Actually it is not necessary to come out of tow/haul mode when going down grades. The computer will not let the engine over-rev, even though it sounds really loud. And it will save on the braking.
Judi
Cardinal Owners: 2007 30 TS

Post by Judi »

Just got the Red Bird back from being at the dealers for minor repairs. I think I need just a little more clarification on this tow-haul mode. We were going to push in the tow-haul button, but on the side of it it had a big D with a / thru the D indicating do not use this tow-haul button when the transmission is in D. So we didnt use it.....should we use 3rd with the tow-haul button in? So confused......didnt notice that D there until we were getting ready to push button in.
Judi
Full Timer Want-to-be
2007 TS30
2004 Chevy 2500HD 6.6L D'Max
Future Fulltimers
Cardinal Owners: 2006 30TS

Post by Future Fulltimers »

According to the Chevrolet Owners Manual, you should always use Tow/ Haul when towing a trailer or carrying a heavy load. Using Tow/ Haul mode allows your converter to lock up and reduces wear on the transmission (please verify this in your owners manual).
I was reading on one of the Chevrolet message boards, one person reported higher transmission temperatures when he was towing without Tow/ Haul mode.
Personally, I always engage Tow/ Haul mode before shifting into Drive (not third)
Wayne & Peggy Williamson
Rocky
GoodSam Lifetime Members
2006 30TS
2007 Silverado 3500 Classic 6.6L D'Max
AirSafe 25k hitch
campswithcritters
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2005 34RLT
Skype ID: campswithcritters

Post by campswithcritters »

Judi wrote:Just got the Red Bird back from being at the dealers for minor repairs. I think I need just a little more clarification on this tow-haul mode. We were going to push in the tow-haul button, but on the side of it it had a big D with a / thru the D indicating do not use this tow-haul button when the transmission is in D. So we didnt use it.....should we use 3rd with the tow-haul button in? So confused......didnt notice that D there until we were getting ready to push button in.
Sounds different than my set-up Judi, do you have an owners manual? It should explain if not try an online search for your year model owners manual. If all else fails might try contacting Allison with year model and number of gears, I think it would be a 5 speed. Sorry I'm not familiar with your model year.
Bruce
Bruce & Sharon Full-time since Nov 06
Boogie, & Jack ("the critters")