CPS INFO

Use this forum for technical questions regarding tow vehicles.

Moderators: Mike Clay, Olbird

dreamcamper

CPS INFO

Post by dreamcamper »

Hello,
Hope someone can help.
TV-2000-F250-7.3. 85,000 miles.
I have been having some problems.
We have been on the road for 7 months. Diesel has been running fine until lately. I have only been able to find ULSD to run in truck. It seems to run better with low sulpher . What I have been experiencing is engine will hic cup or belch and jerk and check engine light will come on. when I stop and restart check engine light goes out and truck runs better. Seems to happen when we head out in morning.. Sometimes engine will shut down and we have to pull over and restart and then runs ok...
I have done following:
New air filter, Fuel filter replaced 4000 miles. Oil level clean and full. Use Howes additive per instructions when gas up... Drained water from seperator.
I have been reading other forums about the 7.3 having issues with CPS, which I believe is the Cam Position Sensor and what I have read this may be my problem or could it just be the fuel. I understand that replacing the CPS runs under $30.00 Should I do this?
How hard is it to replace and where is it located. I am not a experienced mechanic but I can do regular maintaince, like oil change filter change , fuel filter replace, etc.
Sure would appreciate some advice. Could we be stranded if CPS goes out completely..
Still got 3 weeks till we get back to Florida. Currently in Cloumbus Indiana and head for Cave City KY tomorrow.
Thanks for your help
God Bless
Bill and Judy
campswithcritters
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2005 34RLT
Skype ID: campswithcritters

Post by campswithcritters »

Can't help you with the CPS questions, but I doubt the fuel is the problem. I have switched back & forth several times and not noticed a difference. But anything is possible.
Bruce & Sharon Full-time since Nov 06
Boogie, & Jack ("the critters")
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

I'll bet a new CPS will work wonders. If I'm not mistaken to located near the camshaft pulley and you need a 10mm wrench to remove it. Do a search on the http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/ forum and I'm sure you'll find tons of information.

I'm sure that soon there will be plenty of info here from the 7.3 diesel guys on this forum.

Rob
jennyt

Post by jennyt »

This is from Scott (as I am blissfully unaware of all things mechanical)

Unfortunately I am having the same problems - EXACTLY as you state. I thought I had water in the fuel but it doesn’t sound like it. It started last week . I filled up Saturday and it went all day Saturday and Sunday without a burp, but this morning it sputtered. It does clear up. Water might be the case but once it happens it takes forever to run it all out. I would be curious to find out if it is the CPS.

Thought the CPS was around $100.00 (maybe dealer price)…make sure you have a 10mm wrench.

It's located underneath the front of the engine close to the Harmonic balancer.

It’s very easy to replace, and yes, you could be stranded if it goes out completely.
jennyt

Post by jennyt »

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/47605 ... lures.html

Found this - not sure what it all means but I thought I'd post it anyway.
Don Wilson
Region Leader Admin
Cardinal Owners: 2019 3350

Post by Don Wilson »

That sounds like what happened to my 2000 Dodge Cummins when the MAP sensor (Manifold Absolute Pressure)went out. When it went out it would hicup but would continue to run.

They charged me $98.00 for the part but two hours@$98 per hour to diagnose and fix. They had to put it on their computer because the check engine light came on which was one of those hours.

Hope you solve your problem more cheaply yourself.

Don
We don't know a stranger only friends we haven't met yet!

Don
2019 Cardinal 3350RLX Luxury Edition
2014 Dodge 3500 2WD DRW Long Bed

2023 Nights Camped 33
2022 Nights Camped 24
2021 Nights Camped 46

Rallies Attended - 50
Frog - 5
Wadcutter
Cardinal Owners: fifth wheel

Post by Wadcutter »

$15.29 for a new CPS. Price has dropped quite a bit the past couple of years.
http://catalog.powerstrokeshop.com/part ... atalogid=1[/url]
dreamcamper

Thank s for all the help

Post by dreamcamper »

Well problem turned out to be to CPS or CMP whatever you call it.
Picked one up for 24.95 but had a problem... IT RAINED HERE IN KENTUCKY FOR 4 days so I was unable to get uder hood to change. Called a local Ford dealer and the put it in and while I had it in shop decided to run a diagnostic check. It was the problem . Now some on some forums say that the CPS will not throw a code. Well, mine through 2.
Again thanks for all the help.

God Bless
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Thanks for letting us know that you got it fixed. When I had my 7.3 I was on a trip and once in awhile when I came to a stop the engine would quit. It would start right up and run fine. Then once in awhile when stopping the engine would turn off. After we finished the trip I fond out it was a bad CPS and had it changed. Never had a problem after that.

Rob