Problem With Higher Side Walls On New TV

Use this forum for technical questions regarding tow vehicles.

Moderators: Mike Clay, Olbird

Traveler II
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2008 30 TS
Skype ID: User name: janestonge46 (iChat only)
Skype name: jane-stonge

Problem With Higher Side Walls On New TV

Post by Traveler II »

I see that on our new Chevy pick up that they have raised the side walls on the bed several inches. Apparently Ford had done it so GM decided to copy their move. The problem I have is the 5th wheel is not as level as I would like. But I can’t lower the hitch any more because on a sharp turn the back of the hitch already hits the side. It there any way that I can lower the suspension on the truck, or does anyone have any suggestions.

Sure would be nice if the automotive companies and the RV industry would work
together.
Jim & Jane
2014 Ford 350 King Ranch, Trailer Saver BD3 Air Hitch, IS Suspension, Disk Brakes
Nights camped in 2012: 142
Nights camped in 2013: 186
Nights camped in 2014: 185
Nights camped in 2015: 232
Nights camped in 2016: 165
Don Wilson
Region Leader Admin
Cardinal Owners: 2019 3350

Post by Don Wilson »

Travler II,

There is a post in this section titled Anyone have about an 06 F350 4x4 where there was some discussion about different size blocks that were used but that was on a Ford not a Chevy.

Hopefully One of the Chevy owners will give you a post about your question sooner or later.

Don
We don't know a stranger only friends we haven't met yet!

Don
2019 Cardinal 3350RLX Luxury Edition
2014 Dodge 3500 2WD DRW Long Bed

2023 Nights Camped 33
2022 Nights Camped 24
2021 Nights Camped 46

Rallies Attended - 50
Frog - 5
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Hi Jim

Does the truck sit level with the trailer attached? Also, is there any possibility that the Trail Air can be raised where it attaches to the trailer?

Rob
campswithcritters
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2005 34RLT
Skype ID: campswithcritters

Post by campswithcritters »

Just an idea here: I have seen several 5ers hooked up to lifted 4X4 trucks. Most of those guys have flipped the axles on the 5er, i.e. they remove the axles and remount them below the leaf springs rather than above. Seems that would be cheaper and safer than lowering the truck, but you might need to invest in a portable step to get inside.
Bruce & Sharon Full-time since Nov 06
Boogie, & Jack ("the critters")
Traveler II
exempt member

Post by Traveler II »

The truck does sit level when it's hooked up, we have air bags on the truck. I will check with the dealer about turing the axles over, can I still do that if we have air suspension on the 5th wheel?

Thanks gang, for all the help.

Jim
Jim & Jane
2014 Ford 350 King Ranch, Trailer Saver BD3 Air Hitch, IS Suspension, Disk Brakes
Future Fulltimers
Cardinal Owners: 2006 30TS

Post by Future Fulltimers »

Jim, you and I have close to a matching set-up. I don’t have a Trail-Air but my trailer doesn’t sit level when connected (no clearance problems either). Maybe the simplest answer would be to extend your Trail-Air just a little to create clearance.
Wayne & Peggy Williamson
Rocky
GoodSam Lifetime Members
2006 30TS
2007 Silverado 3500 Classic 6.6L D'Max
AirSafe 25k hitch
Olbird
Council, Asst. Admin
Cardinal Owners: 3850 RL

Post by Olbird »

A little known information,

All of the new frames built from around December 2006 have the axles flipped from the factory and mounted under the springs.

They did this in order to remove the square 2 1/2" tubing spacers that the shackles were welded to on the frame.
If you remember they had some trouble with the square tubing cracking and flexing the frame in tight turns.
They now weld the shackles (spring hangers) direct to the frame without the 2 1/2" tubing spacer; this lowered the camper, so they put the axles under the leaf springs to bring it back to the correct towing height.

You could have longer shackles welded to the frame but then the greater the distance from the frame to the axles the more stress is applied to the frame when turning. This can cause the same problem they had prior to removing the tubing blocks.

The Trail Air system on the axles will give you about 1”- 1½” more height.
I know this because the factory sent my Trail Air axle ride system in a box for me to install because they the unit was already being built when I added the option.

I checked the height before and after installing the system and a 1” to 1 ½” gain in was seen.

The problem with lifting the pin box is it lowers the camper closer to the bed rail and creates another problem.
George & Julie
3850 RL Full Paint w/ TrailAir Spring Ride System, Kodiak Disc Brakes, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Over 130 Mods

2022 Ford F450 DRW
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Olbird wrote:The problem with lifting the pin box is it lowers the camper closer to the bed rail and creates another problem.
Jim, how much clearance do you have between the bed rail and the camper? And just out of curiosity is the bin box in the top holes of the trailer bracket?

Rob
Traveler II
exempt member

Post by Traveler II »

Rob, the Trail Air is in the second set of holes from the top, but a portion of fiberglass is covering a portion of the upper hole. For the hitch to clear the top rail I would need to raise the hitch, which is on the third set of holes form the bottom. If I did put it in the top hole I believe the lower potion of the hitch would clear the truck, but the trailer would not be level. I’m going to see if I can lower the suspension on our 4 wheel pick up, and at the same time raise the hitch to the top set of holes.

Thanks for all the help.
Jim & Jane
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Traveler II wrote:If I did put it in the top hole I believe the lower potion of the hitch would clear the truck, but the trailer would not be level. Thanks for all the help.
That's the rub, if you raise the hitch to clear the rails you'll have to raise the pin box to lower the trailer. For what it's worth my original pin box was all the way to top. When I installed my Glide Ride I tried to install it one set of holes lower because the holes were easier to get to and the trailer cable was in the way. I didn't like the way it looked on the truck with the trailer front end a little higher. I ended up move the pin box to the upper holes and relocating the trailer cable and it looks much better.

Did the Trail Air come installed from Cardinal?

I'm surprise that we're not hearing from other 2008 Chevy owners. The Trail Air pin box is very popular and there must be other new Chevy owners with that pin box.

Rob
Traveler II
exempt member

Post by Traveler II »

Yes, the Trail Air did come from the factory. We ordered the pick up after we ordered the Cardinal, we wanted to make sure we sized the pick up for what ever RV rig we bought.

The trailer is at the dealer right now, the slides are not working right. It would be a good time to have them move the Trail Air to the top holes, but these holes are covered a bit by the skin of the Cardinal, not sure what they can do. I also want to see if the Chevy dealer can lower the pick up.
Jim & Jane
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Jim. please let us know what you had done to resolve the problem.

Rob