Power Steering and Power Brake Assist Failure

Use this forum for technical questions regarding tow vehicles.

Moderators: Mike Clay, Olbird

campswithcritters
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2005 34RLT
Skype ID: campswithcritters

Power Steering and Power Brake Assist Failure

Post by campswithcritters »

Well I guess I had too good of luck with too many miles towing! DW went out to the truck yesterday and fired it up to find that brake pedal went almost to the floor and no power steering. Both are run by 1 pump as on many diesels. The belt is in place and the reservoir full, so had it towed off for a bit of warranty work. Be interesting to see what they find. I searched some duramax forums and found a few instances of the same thing happening but not many. Seems sometimes the pump driveshaft shears and sometimes a pressure relief valve sticks open, luckily all but one instance I found also occurred on starting the truck and not while driving. The one while driving, the owner had a lot of miles and the pump had been making noise for quite a while before his shaft sheared (didn't take a hint). Guess that's what warranty is for!
Bruce & Sharon Full-time since Nov 06
Boogie, & Jack ("the critters")
Luizianna

Post by Luizianna »

Sure glad it happened while sittin still!! I know you'll keep us posted on what you find out.
Don Wilson
Region Leader Admin
Cardinal Owners: 2019 3350

Post by Don Wilson »

Bruce,

Aren't you on the other side of the pond! Sharon must be one terrific woman to take care of these things while you are at work! Like Linda said I am also glad it happened while sitting still as it can be a real fight if they go out while driving!

Don
We don't know a stranger only friends we haven't met yet!

Don
2019 Cardinal 3350RLX Luxury Edition
2014 Dodge 3500 2WD DRW Long Bed

2023 Nights Camped 33
2022 Nights Camped 24
2021 Nights Camped 46

Rallies Attended - 50
Frog - 5
campswithcritters
exempt member

Don Wilson wrote:Aren't you on the other side of the pond! Sharon must be one terrific woman to take care of these things while you are at work! Like Linda said I am also glad it happened while sitting still as it can be a real fight if they go out while driving!
Yes I am away again. Yes Sharon can handle it, anyway she must have broke it since she was driving it. :wink: :lol: She has all the resources of both Chevy & Good Sams roadside assist at her fingertips and if she needs to travel around she can always call enterprise rent-a-car "We"ll Pick You Up". What can we do, things happen.
gmarker
Cardinal Owners: 2005 29WBLE

Post by gmarker »

[quote]Yes Sharon can handle it, anyway she must have broke it since she was driving it.

Bruce,
You might want to stay gone for awhile after that comment. LOL. Sorry to hear about about your problem. Let us know how it gets resolved.
GERRY & KAY
2005 29WBLE
20011 FORD F250 LARIOT 6.7 POWERSTROKE
MAX the WONDERCAT
campswithcritters
exempt member

gmarker wrote: Bruce,
You might want to stay gone for awhile after that comment. LOL. Sorry to hear about about your problem. Let us know how it gets resolved.
3 more weeks away from home anyway, and luckily she has a sense of humor (she married me didn't she?).

Update on the truck: Wrecker driver who came to pick it up had to back it into the street to hook-up and said "Yeah sure is something wrong with this one." Upon arrival at the dealer they started it and the truck functioned perfectly normal. They ran a full diagnostic on it and found no problems, suspect stuck pressure relief valve. DW will pick it up today. After more than 20 yrs in aircraft maintenance I fully understand that equipment will not act up when a technician is present. We'll just see how it goes I guess.