Who Drives ?????

Use this forum for technical questions regarding tow vehicles.

Moderators: Mike Clay, Olbird

bigbunkhouse
Cardinal Owners: 2007 362BHS

Post by bigbunkhouse »

I (matt) do all the driving, i make a terrible passenger. She can drive it and has, she prefers to ride and co-pilot. She does a fabulous job accept for finding campgrounds, she cant decipher the lingo in Trailer life. When backing she and my daughter get out and scream if i'm gonna wreck but otherwise she stays in my mirror and we use hand signals, sometimes they are questionable but its worked so far. She drives a stick and said if our next rig is standard she is ok with it :roll: No thanks, not if she's driving, the last two nights have been spent in the garage replacing the clutch in her Mazda 6.
2007 362bhs Cardinal (The mobile vacation home)
99 f350 4dr dually v-10 Lb 2wd 4.30 locker (Big Dually)
Dogs: Elvis and Priscilla
Me (Matt), Wifey (Jana), (Julia)14 year old daughter and ***SHYANNE*** born 8/12/10
PaulandTammy
Cardinal Owners: 2009 362BHLE

Post by PaulandTammy »

I do all the driving. navigating, and backing. We have also mutually determined that it is easier to keep the co-pilot in the truck or at the play ground with the kid while I am backing into the spot. After several years of trying we have both accepted the fact that one of us is directionally challenged when it comes to giving directions while backing up. Hand signals are completely out of the question and walkie-talkies provided little help. We are both very happy with this arrangement and lack of "entertainment" we now provide for onlookers.
PaulandTammy

09 362-BHLE
2011 Dodge 3500 CTD DRW
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator
Cardinal Owners: 2016 3850RL Estate
Skype ID: Mike-Clay

Post by Mike Clay »

LOL some of the biggest fights while RVing is when people back into their spots. It does make for great entertainment.
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
2016 3850RL Estate "Proto Grigio"
2019 Silverado 3500HD Dually D/A 4x4 LTZ
My dreams are too big for my wallet
Rallies attended - 32

Nights camping in 2013:159 2014:269 2015:Full Timers
Traveler II
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2008 30 TS
Skype ID: User name: janestonge46 (iChat only)
Skype name: jane-stonge

Post by Traveler II »

I do all the driving, we use the two ways backing in and Jane does a good job of directing us in, that is if I can tell my right from left.

On the road we have a GPS, which Jane like to argue with, the GPS is right most of the time.

I would like her to drive, just in case something would happen, but no way.

In Florida we took some classes on driving, she took the classes, but would not drive. I did learn a lot during these sessions.
Jim & Jane
2014 Ford 350 King Ranch, Trailer Saver BD3 Air Hitch, IS Suspension, Disk Brakes
Nights camped in 2012: 142
Nights camped in 2013: 186
Nights camped in 2014: 185
Nights camped in 2015: 232
Nights camped in 2016: 165
bilmorvn
Location: We're fulltimers and have never been physically to our address in Madison SD! Will get there probably when we renew our DL. Try to stay not too warm or cold. Usually go to Mexico in the winter which we love. Will gladly answer ?s about full timing or Mexico.
Cardinal Owners: Have a 2008 35 SB. Had ordered exactly what we wanted and then had to cancel since they changed floorplans. Wanted the W/D in the bathroom, not bedroom. Have some problems, but we love the layout. Have made many modifications including larger windows in small S/O, furniture, cabinet work, 46" TV.

Post by bilmorvn »

I do all the wheel work. DW used to drive to CG laundry, but with the new Cardinal, we have a W/D. She thinks she helps spotting. Still doesn't understand that she has to see me in the mirror for me to see her. I get out a lot if it is a tight space--love pull thrus. Now we have a GPS so I don't have to wake her to read the directions that I wrote out before the trip. GPSs are usually wrong a couple of times every 2-300 miles, but only when it is the most critical!
BillMoRex&Princess
Fulltiming since 8/93
2008 35 SB/ 2006 Chev Duramax
Future Fulltimers
Cardinal Owners: 2006 30TS

Post by Future Fulltimers »

bilmorvn wrote:Still doesn't understand that she has to see me in the mirror for me to see her.
We had this problem. I tell her that when I can't see her, I'm going to stop. It works.
Wayne & Peggy Williamson
Rocky
GoodSam Lifetime Members
2006 30TS
2007 Silverado 3500 Classic 6.6L D'Max
AirSafe 25k hitch
dreamcamper

Post by dreamcamper »

Bill does all the forward driving Judy does all the back-up. Bill has lousey depth perception and hits stuff. I will drive a little on highways.
david_iona

Post by david_iona »

I (David) do most of the driving/towing but my wife (Angie) has driven with the fifth wheel in tow on the Interstate a few times to make sure she could handle the truck and trailer in an emergency. Angie is very good at keeping me posted on the posted speed limits especially as we travel the byways with varying speed limits. Our favorite rv park activity is getting in early enough and set up to have a "toddy" and watch others back in and set up, so we are very aware of our "backin" procedures. I back in and she directs me with hand signals and if we do not agree we always talk very low and with a smile so folks watching do not think that we are in serious disagreement on our process. She will walk up to the truck window or I will get out and walk back to look things over as we figure out what needs to be done. We are always looking for new ways to do things when it comes to setting up and breaking down for the day and it is interesting to see others responses. Thanks for the post. Dave
Last edited by david_iona on Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Heat84
Wife and three Queens and a King
Oh yes and my best buddy Lacey my dog
Cardinal Owners: 29ft
many add on like fireplace, central vacuum wet suspension just to name a few

PILOT ? ? ?

Post by Heat84 »

8)
SO are you ready for my THREE CENTs;(someone already put in there two cents). I do the driving one hundread percent (100%) and the backing and the direction my co-pilot no not the other half but my GPS system helps out just wonderful.
The miss does get out and post herself for when I'm backing into my camping spot. Which by the end of the summer it all come's together.
OK I remember once when she was yelling at me and telling me to stop but she is waving her hand as to jester to keep comming backwards,as she still waving for me to backup and screaming for me to stop. So I get out and walk slowly and approched her and asked real gently like what does or what is the hand sign to stop. So again being very,very easy into geting out the question and showing that the sign to stop is FLAT HAND ARM OUT STRAIGHT AND PALM FACING OUTWARDS TOWARDS ANOTHER.
(i didn't have the sleeping bag with us that time)
So yes THE MAN OF THE HOUSE DOES ALL THE DRIVING AND BACKING AND DIRECTION AND PAYING THE BILL AND LEASE BUT NOT LEASE
COOKING :roll: :oops:
MIKE & BRENDA
29'WBL FIFTH WHEEL
2006 FORD F-350 SUPER DUTY LARIATE
ALL THE WHISTLE AND BELLS
Full time summer
The Buds

Post by The Buds »

The last time we went to Florida, Tom got sick. I'd driven on short trips before, say 1 1/2 hours or so, but not "long haul" on the interstate. I think after driving I-75 through Florida on a Sunday, I'm pretty much ready for anything. OK... maybe not Atlanta. :shock:

But I did find out I can do it; I can even back up if I've got a good direction-giver and we determine which is left and right!

Camping sisters- it can be done, and hopefully you don't wait for an emergency to find this out!

Have fun and stay safe! :D

Karen
campswithcritters
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2005 34RLT
Skype ID: campswithcritters

Post by campswithcritters »

david_iona wrote:Our favorite rv park activity is getting in earlier enough and set up to have a "toddy" and watch others back in and set up.
This is also my favorite activity, absolutely entertaining to me. My favorite is to watch pop-ups set-up, having started out in one you can really tell those who use them and those who get them out once a year. David, if we ever camp in the same park, the toddys are on me!
Bruce & Sharon Full-time since Nov 06
Boogie, & Jack ("the critters")
Dutch & Di

Re: Who Drives ?????

Post by Dutch & Di »

campswithcritters wrote:
yogi154 wrote:OK Too Quiet Here Today

Here's the Question Who drives the Tow Vehicle ??? Both people or does the wife or husband drive on the open roads ( the easy places ) or does one person do it all ??? 8)

Bruce does the driving although Sharon has 37 miles experience just so she knows she can do it.

Who backs it up , Does the co-polit get out and signal you ,or do you use Radio's when backing into a campsite ?? :o

Again Bruce does the backing, co-pilot only gets out if I cannot see the site in the mirrors, use very few signals she basically is there to make sure I don't hit anything that will do damage. We sometimes use walkie talkies if it is an extremely difficult site.

The Last Question does the Co-Pilot do their job ???? :shock:

Co-pilot is responsible for all reservations and occasional map checks if I question the GPS. Also handles all telephone calls as I refuse to talk on a phone while driving.

Now let's keep it clean and friendly , don't air the dirty laundry !!!! :lol:
Wow, are we in the minority here so far!! We agreed to split the driving 50/50 and haven't regretted in in the 12 years we've been on the road fulltime. Several factors for us:
1. I would be totally bored just being a passenger
2. We head out in the morning, pull over every 2 hours for a stretch and to switch drivers.
3. Dutch isn't tired at the end of the day as he used to be when we traveled by car and he did all the driving.
4. He now gets to really see some of our beautiful country instead of just a quick glance now and then.
5. If either of us should get in trouble the other is 100% capable of getting our "home" where ever it has to go.
6. I just love to drive.
Backing up really depends on who is driving when we arrive at our destination but I would say Dutch does more than I do.
We use hand signals to back the other in.
Co-Pilot: Dutch doesn't like computers so I do most of that but we usually try not to have a final destination per se. We just drive til we're done for the day,unless a golf course jumps out if front of us and we just pull over and play golf ---which of course is why we don't usually make reservation. Di
1996 1 ton Dodge Dually Pickup, Max Brake, Mor/Ryde Susp. On Rear Springs, Air Bags, Tailgate Easylift,
1996/2010 Triple Slide Carriage, Mor/Ryde Susp, Kodiak Disc Brakes, Big Foot Auto Leveling System, TST TPMS, Plug It Right Stabilizers.