Who Drives ?????

Use this forum for technical questions regarding tow vehicles.

Moderators: Mike Clay, Olbird

yogi154

Who Drives ?????

Post by yogi154 »

OK Too Quiet Here Today

Here's the Question Who drives the Tow Vehicle ??? Both people or does the wife or husband drive on the open roads ( the easy places ) or does one person do it all ??? 8)

Who backs it up , Does the co-polit get out and signal you ,or do you use Radio's when backing into a campsite ?? :o

The Last Question does the Co-Pilot do their job ???? :shock:

Now let's keep it clean and friendly , don't air the dirty laundry !!!! :lol:
campswithcritters
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2005 34RLT
Skype ID: campswithcritters

Re: Who Drives ?????

Post by campswithcritters »

yogi154 wrote:OK Too Quiet Here Today

Here's the Question Who drives the Tow Vehicle ??? Both people or does the wife or husband drive on the open roads ( the easy places ) or does one person do it all ??? 8)

Bruce does the driving although Sharon has 37 miles experience just so she knows she can do it.

Who backs it up , Does the co-polit get out and signal you ,or do you use Radio's when backing into a campsite ?? :o

Again Bruce does the backing, co-pilot only gets out if I cannot see the site in the mirrors, use very few signals she basically is there to make sure I don't hit anything that will do damage. We sometimes use walkie talkies if it is an extremely difficult site.

The Last Question does the Co-Pilot do their job ???? :shock:

Co-pilot is responsible for all reservations and occasional map checks if I question the GPS. Also handles all telephone calls as I refuse to talk on a phone while driving.

Bruce & Sharon Full-time since Nov 06
Boogie, & Jack ("the critters")
Don Wilson
Region Leader Admin
Cardinal Owners: 2019 3350

Post by Don Wilson »

Wayne,

Good Questions!!

1. Don (husband) drives 80% of the time Martha (Wife) drives 20%. Martha drives primarily open road with the Cardinal. When we had the Alpenlite she drove the Tow vehicle and pulled the trailer over 2,000 miles from Albuquerque to southern New Mexico and then home to California by herself. I had to come home to work so she had her mother for a co-pilot. Her mom is a great lady but is a co-pilot nobody wants with them. Martha even put the trailer in a location at her cousins house that I don't think I could have put it. When my daughter and son-in-law go with us my son-in-law shares the driving.

2. We both back it up but she :D does a better job at it than I do!! We use the radios to help with the backing up but we have found that if I can stand next to the pickup and tell her which way to turn the wheels it goes much better!! If I am backing the communications work better if she is on the radio. I assure you if I am backing it takes longer and and voices get higher. Again when my daughter and son-in-law go with us my son-in-law who is a fireman and helps back the engines into the firehouse gives the 8) best directions for backing a fifth wheel you could ask for!

3. When Martha is the co-pilot she does her part by napping and I only wake her up when I want something, be it directions or snacks or drinks. When I am the co-pilot I am constantly awake :shock: !

Don
We don't know a stranger only friends we haven't met yet!

Don
2019 Cardinal 3350RLX Luxury Edition
2014 Dodge 3500 2WD DRW Long Bed

2023 Nights Camped 33
2022 Nights Camped 24
2021 Nights Camped 46

Rallies Attended - 50
Frog - 5
Luizianna

Post by Luizianna »

Virg does it all....I get out to make sure he doesn't hit anything while backing up, otherwise I sleep a good bit on long drives.

I could do it...would do it...if everyone else got off the road!!!! lol

btw Wayne....great post!!
Last edited by Luizianna on Sat Feb 02, 2008 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tim

Post by Tim »

I do 95% of it. Janis assists with backing up, but usually stands in the trucks blind spot. Walkie Talkies have improved the backing procedure. Her eyesight is not the greatest and she needs to get cateract surgery.
yogi154

Post by yogi154 »

OK 77 Views and only 9 Great Posts , we know your out there . Come-on let's go , us tell your story .

Wayne
Last edited by yogi154 on Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
kimmee

tow

Post by kimmee »

I do all the driving and backing. I like my fenders where they are. Kim takes care of the cell phones and she likes playing video poker.
Chuck
campswithcritters
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2005 34RLT
Skype ID: campswithcritters

Post by campswithcritters »

Ooopps forgot the co-pilot also crochets while riding especially when going downhill in the mountains as watching my driving scares the you know what out of her.
Bruce & Sharon Full-time since Nov 06
Boogie, & Jack ("the critters")
craig
Cardinal Owners: 08 Red Bird 35RLT

Post by craig »

I get all the duties! Diana makes sure I do not miss rest areas, she catches up on rest for both of us. Once we get to our site she is a great spoter, but then shes fully rested.
Craig & Lynne
RAM3500 diesel
08 Red Bird 35RLT
Retired and Loven IT
Shields
Cardinal Owners: 31 RK LE

Post by Shields »

I do all the steering, the copilot gives full time instructions on speed (if below the limit....why aren't you going faster; if above the limit......you will get a ticket), when to brake...(Careful! they are slowing down a mile ahead), traffic hazards and of course the rest area watch. I must admit I couldn't do it without her. :)

I do the backins and she tells me when I hit a tree on the phones.
Al and Nadine
Cardinal 31RK, 2006
2009 Dodge Cummins 3500 Dually.
Dorr, Michigan
CritterRenter

Post by CritterRenter »

yogi154 wrote:OK 77 Views and only 9 Great Posts , we know your out there . Come-on let's go , us tell your story .

Wayne
Okay, I'll put in my $0.02.
Even when I have the Rented Critter, I still have to do everything. RC just lays out in the back seat, keeping it in place! :lol:
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator
Cardinal Owners: 2016 3850RL Estate
Skype ID: Mike-Clay

Post by Mike Clay »

I do all of the driving Susanna does not like to drive a stick

Co pilot is always outside while backing up to watch for kids low trees and so on.

her job hmmm well she does get out and pay for the camp spot plus does laundry slaps me around all the time so ya she does a great job. :lol:
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
2016 3850RL Estate "Proto Grigio"
2019 Silverado 3500HD Dually D/A 4x4 LTZ
My dreams are too big for my wallet
Rallies attended - 32

Nights camping in 2013:159 2014:269 2015:Full Timers
jennyt

Post by jennyt »

Scott does 100% of the driving on short trips. On long hauls we do about 60/40. I don't mind driving on the interstates but am not that great at maneuvering - I just need to practice a little more.

We have radios but unless its a really tight spot then I just get out and help back him in with signals. We have a preferred signal for when he's getting irritated and it's quite appropriate for having a Cardinal. :wink:

As co-pilot I'm the map-reader, camp ground finder and route planner and I stay awake the entire time. I can't nap in a vehicle though - I'm too busy making sure the driver is doing what he's supposed to do :roll: . When Scott is co-pilot he sometimes shuts his eyes, but most of the time he's too nervous to try and sleep! :lol:
Future Fulltimers
Cardinal Owners: 2006 30TS

Re: Who Drives ?????

Post by Future Fulltimers »

yogi154 wrote:OK Too Quiet Here Today

Here's the Question Who drives the Tow Vehicle ??? Both people or does the wife or husband drive on the open roads ( the easy places ) or does one person do it all ??? 8) Co-Pilot will not drive truck even w/o trailer. Says its too big.

Who backs it up , Does the co-polit get out and signal you ,or do you use Radio's when backing into a campsite ?? :o We use radios. Better than yelling so the entire campground knows someone is coming in.

The Last Question does the Co-Pilot do their job ???? :shock: Yes. We have gotten pretty good at this. The tight spots offer a little more challange.

Wayne & Peggy Williamson
Rocky
GoodSam Lifetime Members
2006 30TS
2007 Silverado 3500 Classic 6.6L D'Max
AirSafe 25k hitch
wild acres

Post by wild acres »

I do all the driving, Linda is co-pilot, tell me when to turn, etc. We usually use walkie talkie's for backing into spots. Have gotten into some tight spots, but have never had any damage (knock on wood) she's pretty good at it. She's scare to death of the truck, says if anything happens to me, the tk & trailer are staying where its parked. I've had the truck 3 years now and she still won't drive it. Doesn't even know how to start it. But I couldn't do this without her. She gets plenty of rest on long trips, and we listen to audio books, so time pass's pretty quick. Truck rides quite nice wltrailer and we are not wore out after long trips. Linda does all the inside setup at sites and I do most of the outside. We are usually all set up, coffee on, and visiting within 30 minutes. Doesn't get any better then this. John & Linda