Tow Haul

Use this forum for technical questions regarding tow vehicles.

Moderators: Mike Clay, Olbird

Rickieh
Cardinal Owners: Cardinal 34TS 2007

Tow Haul

Post by Rickieh »

Hi everyone
We have a Ford 250 2008 that is pulling a 34TS Cardinal. We just have completed our first trip and at the campground I have gotten mixed opinions on whether the tow haul feature of the truck should be kept on when pulling. Some have told me to use it only when going up/down inclines and others have told me to leave it on when pulling and that the loss in gas miles per hour is is nothing compared to the adverse effect leaving it off has on the transmission. Anyone else confronted with this ?
Rickeh , Cardinal 34TS 2007
campswithcritters
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2005 34RLT
Skype ID: campswithcritters

Post by campswithcritters »

I have a Chevy, but leave it in to haul mode all the time when towing as per the owners manual.
Bruce & Sharon Full-time since Nov 06
Boogie, & Jack ("the critters")
gmarker
Cardinal Owners: 2005 29WBLE

Post by gmarker »

I don't think either way will have any detrimental effect on the transmission. Using the tow/haul mode will change the shift point and will prevent the transmission from hunting for the optimal gear so much as the load changes. On mine I have found that using it all of the time when I am towing has very little effect on the mileage and I suspect it actually improves it under some conditions.
GERRY & KAY
2005 29WBLE
20011 FORD F250 LARIOT 6.7 POWERSTROKE
MAX the WONDERCAT
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator
Cardinal Owners: 2016 3850RL Estate
Skype ID: Mike-Clay

Post by Mike Clay »

As stated above it does effect shift points plus keeps you our of the tall gears and stops the hunting and the heat build up. Never owned a Ford but when I did have a Dodge that was auto impaired I would only kick it out of tow mode when i was on a flat stretch of freeway.
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
2016 3850RL Estate "Proto Grigio"
2019 Silverado 3500HD Dually D/A 4x4 LTZ
My dreams are too big for my wallet
Rallies attended - 32

Nights camping in 2013:159 2014:269 2015:Full Timers
Donpop
Cardinal Owners: 2008 Cardinal 34QS

Post by Donpop »

Rickieh:

I have a 2008 F350 SRW which would be identical to your TV but I have the V10 so if you have a diesel it might be different. When coming to a slow stop I can really tell the difference when in tow/haul mode as the converter stays locked up much longer and provides a lot of engine braking. I have a 2008 34QS which is fairly heavy and I usually double tow with ATVs on the second trailer so I never take it out of the tow/haul mode. I love it, a very adequate TV for my needs.

Don
2008 Cardinal 34QS
Kodiak Disc Brakes
2012 Ford F350 SD XLT 4x4 CC LB SRW 6.7
RDS 40 Gal Aux Tank/Tool Box Comb
Double tow 2 Yamaha Grizzly ATVs
Future Fulltimers
Cardinal Owners: 2006 30TS

Post by Future Fulltimers »

campswithcritters wrote:I have a Chevy, but leave it in to haul mode all the time when towing as per the owners manual.
Same here. Like others have stated, I don't think it has any effect on the transmission (damage) or fuel milage. I would check your owner's manual and follow their recommendations.
Wayne & Peggy Williamson
Rocky
GoodSam Lifetime Members
2006 30TS
2007 Silverado 3500 Classic 6.6L D'Max
AirSafe 25k hitch
Don Wilson
Region Leader Admin
Cardinal Owners: 2019 3350

Post by Don Wilson »

I have a Dodge 3500 and use tow haul all of the time I am towing. Of course I rarely get over 63 miles per hour. On the Dodge if you have it in tow haul and push the selector button the next mode is overdrive off so you would really rev the engine dropping into it from tow haul to get into overdrive on!

Don.
We don't know a stranger only friends we haven't met yet!

Don
2019 Cardinal 3350RLX Luxury Edition
2014 Dodge 3500 2WD DRW Long Bed

2023 Nights Camped 33
2022 Nights Camped 24
2021 Nights Camped 46

Rallies Attended - 50
Frog - 5
Olbird
Council, Asst. Admin
Cardinal Owners: 3850 RL

Post by Olbird »

Ford states that tow & haul must be used when you are towing.
I have a friend that pull a 31' 5th wheel 2,200 miles without using tow and haul and burned the clutch bands up in the transmission. Ford did repair it but told him it was from not using tow & haul.

I always use tow and haul and find the transmission performs better reduces stress and heat on the transmission.
George & Julie
3850 RL Full Paint w/ TrailAir Spring Ride System, Kodiak Disc Brakes, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Over 130 Mods

2022 Ford F450 DRW
Tim

Post by Tim »

Since I live on a coastal plain, I have done a lot of towing with tow/haul off. When in urban areas or hill terrain, I turn it on to reduce transmission stress. Mileage seem to be about the same either way, 12 MPG. I have been leaving it on more and more and agree that it puts less stress on the transmission.
campswithcritters
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2005 34RLT
Skype ID: campswithcritters

Post by campswithcritters »

Less stress? I guess, but I paid for a performance exhaust and like to hear it rumble a bit! Sounds much better in tow haul! :lol: 8)
Bruce & Sharon Full-time since Nov 06
Boogie, & Jack ("the critters")
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Hi Richeh, I too have a Torque Shift transmission. Before the TS transmission all you could do was turn off the overdrive. With the TS the tow/haul mode completely changes the characteristics of the transmission. Not only do the shift points change the torque converter locks sooner and it uses engine compression to assist in slowing down.

So mine stays in tow/haul mode when towing.

Rob
Diesel Dave 04
Cardinal Owners: 2007 36-2BH

Post by Diesel Dave 04 »

A ford does make a differance, One main differance is it pulls out on a differant part of the tranny.and it bost the line pressure for a firmer lock up of the converter.
In tow haul it pulls out on the coast clutch not the front Over drive sprag.
the tow haul also changes shift points and converter lock up pionts. and it also keeps the converter locked when you are slowing and it will drop a gear to aid in slowing the rig.
2008 Crew Cab 4X4 DRW 6.4 Turbo 4:10 gears. rebuilt engine at 59,338 miles broken #8 piston,tugging on A 2015 3800 FL full body paint
fix 7.3 , 6.0 AND now 6.4s Powerstroke diesels.