2004.5 and 2005 LLY Duramax Diesel cooling Problems

Use this forum for technical questions regarding tow vehicles.

Moderators: Mike Clay, Olbird

jlondon5

2004.5 and 2005 LLY Duramax Diesel cooling Problems

Post by jlondon5 »

I have a 2005 LLY Duramax in my 3500 4x4 Crew dually with Allison trans. I have read several times where these engines have over heat problems when towing on long upgrades and or towing slow, under 5 to 10 mph in heavy traffic, in or out of towhaul mode.
Anyone here have one of these engines and had overheat problems when towing?
I found a website that has a "cure" for the problem and after seeing the cure in action and learning first hand that I can overheat mine in temps in the teens it appears I will buy the cure this site offers. I live in the SW desert of Arizona and summer temps to anywhere from here is 110 plus in the mid summer times. I had it overheat in NewMexico and Northern Arizona on I-40 climbing hills at freeway speed in December at 17 and 18 degree temps.
WWW.COOLMYDURAMAX.COM is the website and after joining it and reading the entire forum it has I believe GM has knowledge of this problem, but, due to the vast numbers of these trucks on the road it would be extremely costly to them to fix or do a cure thru the factory. They have set the temp gages to show it never actually gets overheated but I have done it in mine and had extra gages to prove it.
This site seems to have a handle on the problems this engine has in the cooling area and having driven on the roads they did in Texas and Arizona and southern California I would agree with the solution they have.
It is a addition of a radiator of apprx 33% more than stock. It is a add on, not a replacement and it comes with a fan controled by temp switches.
It is a complete system and bolts on to existing holes in a position infront of and below the main radiator. Check it out if you have never been to the site.
Jim 8) [/b]
Last edited by jlondon5 on Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jlondon5

Post by jlondon5 »

Darn it, I posted the above in the wrong forum, could a mod move it to the tow Vehicle section?
Sorry ,,,
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Jim, are you sure you have the right URL? There is a site http://WWW.COOLMYDURAMAX.COM that seems to have the fix you described.

Rob
jlondon5

Post by jlondon5 »

Your correct, I am sitting in the dark trying to type, I'll fix the error, Thanks
Jim 8)