CA-40 fuel additive. 10% increase?

Use this forum for technical questions regarding tow vehicles.

Moderators: Mike Clay, Olbird

CO 1
Cardinal Owners: 2003 31TS (LX)

CA-40 fuel additive. 10% increase?

Post by CO 1 »

This fuel additive has only been on the market for a couple of years. It's made in Detroit Lakes, MN. It is sold in 35 states but you can get it from the mfg. on their web site. www.ca40g.com/ . I am still researching it before getting some. Have any of you used this while pulling and what results did you get?
Mike and Linda
2003 31TS (LX)
2002 F-250 7.3, Superchips, Trail Ease ll wind deflector
Tim

Post by Tim »

I just use Power Service about every other tank full.
birdman

Re: CA-40 fuel additive. 10% increase?

Post by birdman »

[quote="CO 1"]This fuel additive has only been on the market for a couple of years. It's made in Detroit Lakes, MN. It is sold in 35 states but you can get it from the mfg. on their web site. www.ca40g.com/ . I am still researching it before getting some. Have any of you used this while pulling and what results did you get?[/quote]

Fuel economy savings from additives are usually a marketing ploy rather than reality. Once you accept that you won't be too disappointed when real saving just don't happen. Usually, the mileage increases will actually happen but, only because you start concentrating on trying to increase mileage and change your driving habits.

With ultra low sulfur diesel, additives are very important to add lubricity to fuel that virtually has none to protect your fuel delivery components. DO use additives for that purpose but, don't expect to see enough in the way of performance or fuel savings to even pay the cost of the additives, especially the "new and improved" more expensive additives. Don't get suckered into believing the more expensive CA-40 will do anymore for you than the much cheaper Power Service additive you can buy at the local Wally World. Using a tank of Bio diesel every once in awhile may even be a cheaper option that will serve you well on protecting your fuel delivery components.

:D
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator
Cardinal Owners: 2016 3850RL Estate
Skype ID: Mike-Clay

Post by Mike Clay »

birdman wrote:
CO 1 wrote:This fuel additive has only been on the market for a couple of years. It's made in Detroit Lakes, MN. It is sold in 35 states but you can get it from the mfg. on their web site. www.ca40g.com/ . I am still researching it before getting some. Have any of you used this while pulling and what results did you get?
Fuel economy savings from additives are usually a marketing ploy rather than reality. Once you accept that you won't be too disappointed when real saving just don't happen. Usually, the mileage increases will actually happen but, only because you start concentrating on trying to increase mileage and change your driving habits.

With ultra low sulfur diesel, additives are very important to add lubricity to fuel that virtually has none to protect your fuel delivery components. DO use additives for that purpose but, don't expect to see enough in the way of performance or fuel savings to even pay the cost of the additives, especially the "new and improved" more expensive additives. Don't get suckered into believing the more expensive CA-40 will do anymore for you than the much cheaper Power Service additive you can buy at the local Wally World. Using a tank of Bio diesel every once in awhile may even be a cheaper option that will serve you well on protecting your fuel delivery components.

:D
Very true Larry low sulfur no lube. It has been proven Bio is the best you can use beating all the additives
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
2016 3850RL Estate "Proto Grigio"
2019 Silverado 3500HD Dually D/A 4x4 LTZ
My dreams are too big for my wallet
Rallies attended - 32

Nights camping in 2013:159 2014:269 2015:Full Timers
jamespatrick4

Post by jamespatrick4 »

Mike, Do you happen to know if B5, which I think is the most that Dodge owners can use, is sufficient for increasted lubricity or should an additive also be used?

James
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator

Post by Mike Clay »

James i believe it is I have used as high as 25% with no problems my truck is an 04 and i have used bio since day one with no problems. You can hear the difference in the engine. Portland Ore requires 5% blend in the diesel around here and next year it will be a 10% blend

As an added note my year truck still had the old style lift pump (out of the tank) they were not lasting more then 30k min made it to 69k dont know if it is from the bio but my last truck went through 8 of them and at that time i was using Howes and no bio.
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
Rallies attended - 32

Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

birdman wrote:Fuel economy savings from additives are usually a marketing ploy rather than reality. Usually, the mileage increases will actually happen but, only because you start concentrating on trying to increase mileage and change your driving habits.
I agree 100%. The best thing you can do for fuel economy is to slow down, set proper tire pressure and drive in a fuel economy mode.

Rob
jamespatrick4

Post by jamespatrick4 »

Mike, Mine is a 2006 model and though Cummins publicly says bio should be limited to 5%, I have talked to other owners who sometimes use the 20% found in many truck stops. My understanding is that Cummins limits bio to 5% because they don't know the long-term impacte of 20% so I agree wtih you and don't see any problem in running the 20%, even if it's every other tank.

Regarding MPG, I agree with what others here have suggested; short of engine modifications, the best way to improve mileage is to ease off on the right pedal. My 2006 3500 with 4:10 generally gets 21.5 mpg (on the computer) on the highway (flat terrain) with cruise set at about 63. Not great but not bad either.
markj
Cardinal Owners: Cardinal 31RKLE

Post by markj »

Am I reading that right?--a one ton truck with 4.10 rear end getting 21.5 mpg? wow!!!!!!!!!!!!
2007 Cardinal 31RKLE
Hijacker 21K underfloor mount
Fifth Airborne pin box
2006 Ford F350 PSD extended cab
1990 Seaswirl fishing boat!
Kiki (the cat)
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator

Post by Mike Clay »

Remember he said on the computer mine with 3.54 gears shows 23 on the overhead and by hand 21.5 if kept under 65. Towing I have got as high as 14 but most of the time 11-12

Dont know what the 08 trucks are allowing for bio anybody out there with an 08 cummins that can check their manuel.
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
Rallies attended - 32

gdc4christ

Post by gdc4christ »

Having worked in the service department of a Dodge dealer for 17 years, Chrysler service reps have stated that they have been informed that all the necessary additives are added during the refining process. We also checked with a local refinery and were told the same thing. We also sold additives made in Wichita Ks by a great company called BG Products that have kept me with a free supply of an additive which I cannot recall the name of off hand. BG Products is now selling in Japan and a few other countries. There products have been proven to me time after time over the 17 years I have sold them for routine services.

They are primarily sold thru automotive dealers and a expensive but are very good.

I have seen increased fuel milage from the use of GB products and seem to work as claimed. Also used there additives for motor oil, transmission, axles when changing fluids.
rvthereyet

Post by rvthereyet »

IM USING PROPANE INJECTION GETTING ABOUT 26MPG ON THE HIGHWAY AND WHEN I TOW ABOUT 15-16 MPG. :D
bigbunkhouse
Cardinal Owners: 2007 362BHS

Post by bigbunkhouse »

we just got back from Virginia (mostly I-84 and I-81 )and we towed a 28 ft enclosed car trailer behind the f350, it seemed so small compared to the 5er! The point is we drove down with the trailer empty, I drove the first 275 miles at 70-75 mph and averaged 10 mpg, then my dad drove the 2nd 275 miles and got 11 mpg at 60-65 mph, I drove the final 3rd and got the same 10mpg. After we loaded the Woody and all its parts probable 3500 lbs we took the engine, tranny and 3rd member out of our friends 57 t-bird. The next day we left for home with me driving the same 70-75mph and got the same 10 mpg. Then my dad took over again and got 11+ mpg at 60-65mph.

Just proving the validity of better mpg when slowing down, and the wisdom that comes with age(plus dad was paying for gas in my truck so hammer down!)
2007 362bhs Cardinal (The mobile vacation home)
99 f350 4dr dually v-10 Lb 2wd 4.30 locker (Big Dually)
Dogs: Elvis and Priscilla
Me (Matt), Wifey (Jana), (Julia)14 year old daughter and ***SHYANNE*** born 8/12/10
CritterRenter

Post by CritterRenter »

Mike Clay wrote:Remember he said on the computer mine with 3.54 gears shows 23 on the overhead and by hand 21.5 if kept under 65. Towing I have got as high as 14 but most of the time 11-12

Dont know what the 08 trucks are allowing for bio anybody out there with an 08 cummins that can check their manuel.
My '05 got about the same, 11 - 12 pulling, don't know about the '08 yet.
Here's what my book says about the bio:

This vehicle is fully compatible with biodiesel
blends up to 5% biodiesel meeting ASTM specification D-975.
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator

Post by Mike Clay »

Interesting thanks Ernie
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
Rallies attended - 32