Opinions on BANKS intake/exhaust after market systems

Use this forum for technical questions regarding tow vehicles.

Moderators: Mike Clay, Olbird

markj
Cardinal Owners: Cardinal 31RKLE

Opinions on BANKS intake/exhaust after market systems

Post by markj »

I'm curious if anyone has installed either or both of these Banks systems and had it affect power/mileage. I had a motorhome with the exhaust part come with it, and I got about 10 mpg. Banks tries to tell us both Power and Mileage will be noticeably better.

with diesel topping $5.00/gal now, I think we all will be interested in something (besides better driving, etc.) that can help us get better diesel towing mileage--IF it really does!

Comments?????
2007 Cardinal 31RKLE
Hijacker 21K underfloor mount
Fifth Airborne pin box
2006 Ford F350 PSD extended cab
1990 Seaswirl fishing boat!
Kiki (the cat)
Diesel Dave 04
Cardinal Owners: 2007 36-2BH

Post by Diesel Dave 04 »

I found them to help with get up and go, but i never found any of them to better my MPG and if it did .t was like .2 of a MPG and it was not towing. I wish there was somthing that would help But i have yet to find it.
2008 Crew Cab 4X4 DRW 6.4 Turbo 4:10 gears. rebuilt engine at 59,338 miles broken #8 piston,tugging on A 2015 3800 FL full body paint
fix 7.3 , 6.0 AND now 6.4s Powerstroke diesels.
rvthereyet

Post by rvthereyet »

I INSTALLED PROPANE ON MY TRUCK GAINED 4 TO ALMOST 5 MPG. WHEN I AM TOWING AND WHEN I AM NOT TOWING.
birdman

Post by birdman »

Expect more power but don't expect greater than a 10% increase in mileage. Fact is, don't expect even that but take it if you get it (you won't :roll: ).

Unfortunately the only way to get better fuel economy is to buy a Hybrid, but, tough to pull that 5th wheel with one for certain. It is getting painful though. That trip I made from N CA to Central Oregon was an $800 fuel bill. OUCH!

:D
Future Fulltimers
Cardinal Owners: 2006 30TS

Post by Future Fulltimers »

Mark, be careful what modifications you make to your engine. Some of the vehicle manufactures are voiding warranties over mods. I know the law states otherwise but you may have to prove that the modifications you made did not cause the problem/ failure.
I don’t have personal experience with this but I have read it on several message boards including Ford.
Wayne & Peggy Williamson
Rocky
GoodSam Lifetime Members
2006 30TS
2007 Silverado 3500 Classic 6.6L D'Max
AirSafe 25k hitch
PokyJoe 48

Re: Opinions on BANKS intake/exhaust after market systems

Post by PokyJoe 48 »

It looks to be a while since anyone has commented on BANKS, but what I have and know of is that the 4" Banks exhaust on my 01 Duramax is a bit noisy, there is resonance that happens at 1600 rpm and is a bit annoying in the cab. My son has the twin to my truck but is running straight exhaust on his and its noisier outside but not annoying inside the truck. We're both running programmers on these trucks so they're the same there. When I'm cruzing thru town or on the hiway when I get to about 1600 rpm to about 1700 rpm it gets noisy in the cab. Kind of annoying. Heck, maybe I'll just straight pipe it. Not... :-? :ymdevil:
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator
Cardinal Owners: 2016 3850RL Estate
Skype ID: Mike-Clay

Post by Mike Clay »

Yep the dreaded drone
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
2016 3850RL Estate "Proto Grigio"
2019 Silverado 3500HD Dually D/A 4x4 LTZ
My dreams are too big for my wallet
Rallies attended - 32

Nights camping in 2013:159 2014:269 2015:Full Timers
PokyJoe 48

Post by PokyJoe 48 »

Hey Mike, Is it just Banks or have you heard of others :?: Joe
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator

Post by Mike Clay »

The drone? The drone can be heard with any of them, some trucks do it and some dont. One of my Dodges had it with the same set up as the one before it kind of strange. It does not bother some but its one of those sounds that once you focus in on it the dang thing can drive you crazy 8-}
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
Rallies attended - 32

snoking

Post by snoking »

In general Banks stuff is more pricey than other aftermarket equipment. I have a Banks 4" exhaust brake because my wifes son was a dealer for them at one time. It is a good brake but so are the others. I have Banks gauges and they work and look fine. I had a Banks waste gate turbo housing on my 93 Dodge.

Banks has over the years created an "illusion" of no warranty issue with their products.

I found that calling Banks to talk to was not the best over the years.

Banks wants to be a one stop shop, but you will pay 1.5-2 times more.

I now have a Edge Comp chip, PDR turbo, Edge Jammer 1 injectors, DTT tranny and smart controller, Magnaflow exhaust behind the Banks down and intermediate pipes (no drone).

There are forums for the different trucks where one can learn about the best products for the trucks.

Chris
bilmorvn
Location: We're fulltimers and have never been physically to our address in Madison SD! Will get there probably when we renew our DL. Try to stay not too warm or cold. Usually go to Mexico in the winter which we love. Will gladly answer ?s about full timing or Mexico.
Cardinal Owners: Have a 2008 35 SB. Had ordered exactly what we wanted and then had to cancel since they changed floorplans. Wanted the W/D in the bathroom, not bedroom. Have some problems, but we love the layout. Have made many modifications including larger windows in small S/O, furniture, cabinet work, 46" TV.

Post by bilmorvn »

Put dually exhaust on )not Banks). No increase in mpg while towing and maybe .3-.5 mpg empty, but a noticeable increase in power. Just put on the Banks intake and not change in mpg; slightly more power (which was great just stock). The exhaust also knocked down the EGT by 50-75 degrees which I think is significant.
BillMoRex&Princess
Fulltiming since 8/93
2008 35 SB/ 2006 Chev Duramax
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator

Post by Mike Clay »

Well I agree lower EGT is good to a point but remember the newer trucks are made to run warmer with the EPA garbage.
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
Rallies attended - 32