SHIFT SELECTOR PROBLEM

Use this forum for technical questions regarding tow vehicles.

Moderators: Mike Clay, Olbird

dreamcamper

SHIFT SELECTOR PROBLEM

Post by dreamcamper »

WELL I GOT A GOOD ONE AND HOPE SOMEONE CAN OFFER HELP.
All the sudden the gear selector shift on column, automatic ford f-250 2000 7.3 will not go into park on left side or low 1 on right side will not lock in gear. Tranny has been shifting smooth and still does just this one issue. Was told by a friend it could be a fuse but have checked all and all ok.
Anyone experience this before.
Thanks..
Bill
kimmee

Shift lever

Post by kimmee »

We just took our Jeep to the dealer last week. Our's was doing just about the same they said they had to order a new shift lever. They said that there is a computer in the lever that was bad. Has to come from Detiort. I don't know if your Ford is the same.

Chuck
CritterRenter

Post by CritterRenter »

I know that most things are computer controlled now, but this sounds mechanical. Maybe something is blocking the linkage?
Just a thought.
jennyt

Post by jennyt »

Try this link and see if it helps at all.

http://www.fordforum.com/archive/thread ... 909-1.html

If not, I have an ex-Ford truck transmission design engineer at work - he'll probably know :wink:
Diesel Dave 04
Cardinal Owners: 2007 36-2BH

Post by Diesel Dave 04 »

under the dash if you look up there is 2 small screws that come lose and cause this problem. they are tourx head screws and it is on top of the colum if you feel around you will find it.
2008 Crew Cab 4X4 DRW 6.4 Turbo 4:10 gears. rebuilt engine at 59,338 miles broken #8 piston,tugging on A 2015 3800 FL full body paint
fix 7.3 , 6.0 AND now 6.4s Powerstroke diesels.
Luizianna

Post by Luizianna »

Thanks Dave, I figured you'd probably know the problem. Thanks for Ford Diesel help you give members!!
WVcampers
Cardinal Owners: 2018 Cardinal 3250RL Luxury

Post by WVcampers »

Mine shifter works fine, but the position indicator is stuck on the 1, and does not move. It is not a problem for me, but when someone else drives the truck they are confused. Does anyone know if this is difficult to fix?
Randy & Carol
Elbie (weiner dog)
2018 Cardinal 3250 RLX Luxury Edition
2019 Ford F350 6.7PSD Lariat 4x4 SRW
Diesel Dave 04

Post by Diesel Dave 04 »

Randy, most of them have a small cable that runs under the column and it moves the indacator when the lever moves it has a spring on it so if it comes unhooked it will go all the way to low. I would pull th cover off the column and you will see what im talking about.
2008 Crew Cab 4X4 DRW 6.4 Turbo 4:10 gears. rebuilt engine at 59,338 miles broken #8 piston,tugging on A 2015 3800 FL full body paint
dreamcamper

A BIG THANK YOU AGAIN

Post by dreamcamper »

WELL AS HAS BEEN THE CASE Y'ALL HAVE HELPED US SAVE HUNDREDS OF $$$$$$. THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO POSTED> THE PICS REALLY HELPED. I AM NOT A MECHANIC BUT YOU GUYS MADE IT SO EASY TO JUST FOLLOW YOUR INSTRUCTIONS. WHEN I PUT THE T30 on I COULD SE HOW LOOSE. AS I TIGHTENED MY SWEETIE COULD SEE INDICATER MOVE OVER TO PARK AND WE WENT THROUGH GEARS AND ALL SHIFTED SMOOTH AND EASY>
THANKS VERY MUCH.
GOD BLESS
Luizianna

Post by Luizianna »

Thanks Bill for this post!! and a special thanks to Diesel Dave for being so helpful and giving you good instructions!!!
Diesel Dave 04

Post by Diesel Dave 04 »

Bill Glad to hear it is all fixed up. :D
WVcampers
Cardinal Owners: 2018 Cardinal 3250RL Luxury

Re: SHIFT SELECTOR PROBLEM

Post by WVcampers »

Randy, most of them have a small cable that runs under the column and it moves the indacator when the lever moves it has a spring on it so if it comes unhooked it will go all the way to low. I would pull th cover off the column and you will see what im talking about.

Dave, you are THE MAN, I just got around to looking at my shift indicater. It was exactly as you said. All I had to do was put the little red wire around the hook. No parts, less than 10 min to repair. Thanks to your help.
Randy & Carol
Elbie (weiner dog)
2018 Cardinal 3250 RLX Luxury Edition
2019 Ford F350 6.7PSD Lariat 4x4 SRW
Diesel Dave 04

Post by Diesel Dave 04 »

Great that it is all fixed up and your welcome. :D :D let me know if you have any other ford problems, i been working with them for years.
Dave
Olbird
Council, Asst. Admin
Cardinal Owners: 3850 RL

Post by Olbird »

Randy,
I am glad you could fix it without buying a new cable that comes with the indicator. I have a tight fit to get my Bird into the building and from shifting forward and backward so much my cable broke and I had to buy a new cable and indicator ($16.00)
Not too bad of a price.
George & Julie
3850 RL Full Paint w/ TrailAir Spring Ride System, Kodiak Disc Brakes, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Over 130 Mods

2022 Ford F450 DRW