F 250 Headlight problem

Use this forum for technical questions regarding tow vehicles.

Moderators: Mike Clay, Olbird

dreamcamper

F 250 Headlight problem

Post by dreamcamper »

Well, y'all have been so helpfull I have another problem with TV that is giving me fits..

My passenger side headlight is dimmer than my driver side light..

I changed lamp and made no difference.... Cleaned battery terminals.. No difference... Checked fuses all ok....

Any ideas... Wife thinks it is our battery going bad.. We replaced driver side battery 4 months ago...

Thanks for any help...

God Bless

Bill Brooks
bigbunkhouse
Cardinal Owners: 2007 362BHS

Re: F 250 Headlight problem

Post by bigbunkhouse »

sounds like a bad ground to me, remember the older (87 and older ) chevys that had a bad ground would ground thru the turn signal circuit and the head light would blink dimly with the signal. Follow the harness from the headlight and you shall find the ground, it is an eyelet attached with a 5/16 or 8mm bolt. Also, always replace the batteries in pairs, a weak one will hurt the good one, they work as one 12 volt high amp battery so one with 800 cca and a weak one with 600cca yields only 1400 amps not the 1600 you should see, granted in your weather you will probably never notice. we put 2 1040cca batteries in all our plow trucks just to crank em at this weeks 0 ish temps
2007 362bhs Cardinal (The mobile vacation home)
99 f350 4dr dually v-10 Lb 2wd 4.30 locker (Big Dually)
Dogs: Elvis and Priscilla
Me (Matt), Wifey (Jana), (Julia)14 year old daughter and ***SHYANNE*** born 8/12/10
dreamcamper

Post by dreamcamper »

I WILLCHECK IT OUT... GONNA GET A NEW BATTERY ON FRIDAY. NEVER KNEW TO REPLACE IN TWO"S.. THANKS..
gmarker
Cardinal Owners: 2005 29WBLE

Post by gmarker »

I think Matt probably has the solution for you. It has been my experiance that a huge percentage of electrical problems can be traced back to a bad ground. One other thing that you might consider is the light being badly out of adjustment. If, for whatever reason, it is pointed too far down, it will appear to be dimmer than the other one.
GERRY & KAY
2005 29WBLE
20011 FORD F250 LARIOT 6.7 POWERSTROKE
MAX the WONDERCAT
CritterRenter

Post by CritterRenter »

Another thing you may look at...
The plastic lens for the headlight will get crazed after a while. I had this problem before, but didn't notice it until I changed 1 cracked lens. I used wax, in stages from a course compound to a finer wax and got most of the brightness back.
It took awhile, but those headlight assemblies cost a bit. :cry: