6.0 L ford questions

Use this forum for technical questions regarding tow vehicles.

Moderators: Mike Clay, Olbird

bigbunkhouse
Cardinal Owners: 2007 362BHS

6.0 L ford questions

Post by bigbunkhouse »

For anybody who has a 6.0 L ford, I have an opportunity to get a 2005 F550 4dr with 65k for $18k......ish are you guys happy with them? Would you recomend to a friend? Are the nightmare rumors true? we are right on the Edge with our 350 and our monster arse bunkhouse and would like to upgrade at some point, the price point seems to be know but is it worth waiting for a different engine? My landscaper buddy has 3 now and loves em, but he is only towing 5k aroubd town, I'd love to hear from some of you haulin big birds!

Thanks guys, Matt
2007 362bhs Cardinal (The mobile vacation home)
99 f350 4dr dually v-10 Lb 2wd 4.30 locker (Big Dually)
Dogs: Elvis and Priscilla
Me (Matt), Wifey (Jana), (Julia)14 year old daughter and ***SHYANNE*** born 8/12/10
PhL0aTeR

Re: 6.0 L ford questions

Post by PhL0aTeR »

When i visited my grandfather i had an opportunity to unhook my bird and pull it with his F250 SRW 6.0 and loved everything about it. I cant speak personally on the 6.0 but my mechanic wont buy one, and he is a ford guy. then again my TV is a gasser, so anything deisel would probably be a lot better... lol
Olbird
Council, Asst. Admin
Cardinal Owners: 3850 RL

Post by Olbird »

Hello Matt,

That is one of those hard to answer questions; I was just telling Mike last weekend that my 2006 Ford F350 6.0 did not give me any problems. It was a great truck and I had 57,000 miles on it, but I had a friend that also had the 6.0 with one problem after another.
Whenever I buy a TV it takes a few trips and some miles under my belt to trust it.

I think you are going to hear the same thing from person to person, I would get the seller to run a service report for all and any repairs perform from Ford.

The Vin number can be run through service department and it will tell you every repair Ford made under warranty and not under warranty.
George & Julie
3850 RL Full Paint w/ TrailAir Spring Ride System, Kodiak Disc Brakes, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Over 130 Mods

2022 Ford F450 DRW
bigbunkhouse

Post by bigbunkhouse »

Thanks george, my ex works at a dealer and I have her running the vin tomm. That connection alone is good reason to stay civil with her. I have seem these 6.0 trucks everwhere for short money, seems alot of people jumped ship scared and the price reflects the fear. The opportunity just seemed to need to be explored further, the distance and routes we travel are limited until we upgrade, exhaust braking and bigger brakes and tall gears are hopefully in our future.
Me (Matt), Wifey (Jana), (Julia)14 year old daughter and ***SHYANNE*** born 8/12/10
campswithcritters
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2005 34RLT
Skype ID: campswithcritters

Post by campswithcritters »

Am I reading this thread correct? Is BBH considering going to an kerosene burner? The wonders on this site never cease! :joke:
Bruce & Sharon Full-time since Nov 06
Boogie, & Jack ("the critters")
rpfan
Region Leader
Cardinal Owners: 2009 3802BH (due in Nov13th!!) Have been enjoying ever since!!!

Post by rpfan »

Hi Matt,
I bought my 05 in Oct. of 06 with 10K miles on it. It now has 71K miles. I bought it just after buying our Cedar Creek. The tow and stopping difference is big. The Cardinal is 3 ft longer and 2500lbs more. It tows the Bird better than the Creek.
Now the 6.0 part. I have never used a chip in mine, totally bone stock. With the 4:88 rear gear, it pulls with ease. The only problems I have had was the high volume oil pump that runs the fuel injection system and 13 fuel injectors. I fought with Ford on the injector issue and had an engineer there slip and tell me that they started having problems after the low sulfer fuel came out and I should be running an additive to help lube the injctors. I did not have a problem until that fuel came out. I have never had a turbo problem either. The big key is oil and fuel filter change intervals. I change the fuel filters every 3rd oil change.
Other than those 2 problems I love my truck. It is also my daily driver.
As for the price on the one you are lookig at, if the truck comes up clean, it is a steel!

Rich
Rich, Fern, Bethany & Justin
2005 F 450, CC, Duallie, 4wd, 25K Air Safe hitch, 100 Gal.aux. fuel tank.
2009 3802 BH LX Edition, 5 slide
Leave no roller coaster unridden!
bigbunkhouse

Post by bigbunkhouse »

campswithcritters wrote:Am I reading this thread correct? Is BBH considering going to an kerosene burner? The wonders on this site never cease! :joke:

I never claimed to be a gasoline loyal guy, but I do get defensive when railroaded, J/K...... anyway if a 550 came along with the v-10 i'd already own it...............no fuel additives, no egr problems ......no big $$$$$$$$filters..............no cold weather issues...................... SORRY defenses were up LOL

8-}

The ex is running a car fax also today, results will probably be posed later

thanks guys

Matt
bigbunkhouse

Post by bigbunkhouse »

rpfan wrote:Hi Matt,
I bought my 05 in Oct. of 06 with 10K miles on it. It now has 71K miles. I bought it just after buying our Cedar Creek. The tow and stopping difference is big. The Cardinal is 3 ft longer and 2500lbs more. It tows the Bird better than the Creek.
Now the 6.0 part. I have never used a chip in mine, totally bone stock. With the 4:88 rear gear, it pulls with ease. The only problems I have had was the high volume oil pump that runs the fuel injection system and 13 fuel injectors. I fought with Ford on the injector issue and had an engineer there slip and tell me that they started having problems after the low sulfer fuel came out and I should be running an additive to help lube the injctors. I did not have a problem until that fuel came out. I have never had a turbo problem either. The big key is oil and fuel filter change intervals. I change the fuel filters every 3rd oil change.
Other than those 2 problems I love my truck. It is also my daily driver.
As for the price on the one you are lookig at, if the truck comes up clean, it is a steel!

Rich
what additive do you run?
campswithcritters
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2005 34RLT
Skype ID: campswithcritters

Post by campswithcritters »

BBH, I have a current carfax account already paid for if you haven't paid for one yet, just PM me the VIN.
Bruce & Sharon Full-time since Nov 06
Boogie, & Jack ("the critters")
rpfan
Region Leader
Cardinal Owners: 2009 3802BH (due in Nov13th!!) Have been enjoying ever since!!!

Post by rpfan »

Matt,
I use C-Tane Boost. It keeps fuel from jelling adds to the c tane level and I get 1.5 :D mpg better than when I did not use it. I have not had any other problems since using it. 80 oz bottle treats 250 gallons. Been 0 degrees here for what seems like for ever and truck starts all the time without being plugged in. What bed is on that truck? Mine was done by Classy Chassie and has a stock Ford bed with duallie fenders moved to the tail lights for the extra wheelbase lenth. Looks like a stock Ford truck with 19.5 tires. They really did a nice job on it. :thumbrt:

Rich
rpfan
Region Leader

Post by rpfan »

Matt,
I see you are in Mass. Any chance you are going to the Spingfield show Saturday?? We go every year.Its an addiction. Even tho we just got ours we go there and Hershey

Rich
bigbunkhouse

Post by bigbunkhouse »

The truck has a 9 ft reading flat bed on it that I will be taking off and putting a duallly bed on. My landscaper needs a new flat bed for his sander.

And this weekend we are going to Monster Jam for my b-day so we will not be at the show.
rpfan
Region Leader

Post by rpfan »

Is it a stock F350 bed? Some mods needed to mount it.
bigbunkhouse

Post by bigbunkhouse »

No problem ....modification is my middle name! My 79 bronco has a 460 with leafs in the front and dana 60 axles, my 66 mustang is in the process of getting a lincoln independent rear end, My old 84 ifs f150 has my old 79 bronco solid dana 44 in the front, I put an 86 non fuel inj cab on an 88 f350 with efi, and that was just before lunch......LOL Just kidding, its all true but it is what I live for, my dad said it right years ago at a t- bird convention when questioned on his "modified" 55...... "We don't modify them, we build them how ford should have!"

Now what type of mods are we talkin bout, frame width vs mounting holes?, fuel fill location?, frame ht at mounts?
gmarker
Cardinal Owners: 2005 29WBLE

Post by gmarker »

Just to get my two cents in. I am a retired FOMOCO employee but could drive a truck made by Chev or Dodge with no problems. I own an '06 F250. Love the truck and couldn't ask for anything more. The only problem I have had was a sticking EGR valve and that didn't really cause any major inconveniance. My brother has an '06 that is now at around 100,000 miles with no repairs other than brakes. Ford had some real problems with the '03 that continued into '04. '05 was a pretty darn good truck and '06 even better. Unfortunately, when you have problems with one or two year models, it takes a long time to get back into everyone's good graces. Any problem that people hear about for years afterward is considered proof that things haven't changed. I would give the same advice to anybody considering a used vehicle. Check the complete repair history, be sure to verify regular maintenance, make sure it hasn't been chipped, and insist on some kind of warranty even if you have to buy a service contract.
GERRY & KAY
2005 29WBLE
20011 FORD F250 LARIOT 6.7 POWERSTROKE
MAX the WONDERCAT