Ford integrated trailer brake controller

Use this forum for technical questions regarding tow vehicles.

Moderators: Mike Clay, Olbird

Travelers

Ford integrated trailer brake controller

Post by Travelers »

I’ve had the opportunity to use the Ford integrated brake controller and really liked the way it worked with the engine / transmission. When I purchased my 2005 F250 SD used in 2007, it was not equipped with this controller. The owner installed a Tekonsha Voyager. I never felt comfortable with the Voyager under hard braking. I researched as to what it would take to install the Ford unit. Actually it was rather simple. I talked to my local Ford parts guy and we ordered 5C3Z-19H332-BA Module. The kit came with the controller and a new brake cylinder. The list price is $505.67. One of the techs offered to install the brake cylinder, which included bleeding the brakes for $100. I had to install the controller in the dash before returning to the tech.

What I started with:

Tray removed and connectors :

Controller connected:

Complete:

After the tech installed the brake cylinder and bled the brakes, I hooked up the car hauler and went for a test ride. Wow, trailer brakes that I really can feel. The system works great in the tow / haul mode too. The real test will be in two weeks when I pick up the 5’er to bring it home to dewinterize it.
Rob & Cathy

Re: Ford integrated trailer brake controller

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Mine came factory installed in my truck and it's the best controller I've had in any of my trucks.

Rob
Traveler II
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2008 30 TS
Skype ID: User name: janestonge46 (iChat only)
Skype name: jane-stonge

Post by Traveler II »

Looking at your photos it seems like the Ford and Chevy controllers are the same, at least the knobs look identical. Wouldn't that be something if a Ford and Chevy had something in common? :-o
Jim & Jane
2014 Ford 350 King Ranch, Trailer Saver BD3 Air Hitch, IS Suspension, Disk Brakes
Nights camped in 2012: 142
Nights camped in 2013: 186
Nights camped in 2014: 185
Nights camped in 2015: 232
Nights camped in 2016: 165
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Hi Jim, Ford and Tekonsha (maker of Prodigy) developed the controller Ford uses. It wouldn't surprise me if they were the same.

Rob
rpfan
Region Leader
Cardinal Owners: 2009 3802BH (due in Nov13th!!) Have been enjoying ever since!!!

Post by rpfan »

The controllers are actually modified Prodigy brake controller

Rich
Rich, Fern, Bethany & Justin
2005 F 450, CC, Duallie, 4wd, 25K Air Safe hitch, 100 Gal.aux. fuel tank.
2009 3802 BH LX Edition, 5 slide
Leave no roller coaster unridden!
Chief409
Mojave Desert
Cardinal Owners: 2007 30WBLE

Post by Chief409 »

Whoever makes them, they work great. I've used my F250 with both a TT and the 'Bird. While towing the TT I had to dynamite the brakes when a jerk pulled out in front of me while I was doing 60 on a 2 lane highway. It was amazing, the TT brakes didn't lock up, the truck anti-skid was working and I came to a stop in a straight line. With the other brake controllers I've used I would have been all over the road because the TT brakes would of locked up. Having the trailer brakes tied into the trucks brakes is one of the best things that has ever been done for towing safety.

Plus having coordinated brakes and Tow/Haul really saves on the trucks brake wear. 37000 miles, most of that towing in mountains, and my brakes are still in great shape.
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
2012 F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 Diesel Dually, Crew Cab, LWB, 50 gal Transfer Flow toolbox/tank
2007 Cardinal 30WBLE, "the 'Bird", ONAN gen.
The more I see in my travels, the more I realize there is so much more to see.