New Michelin TV Tires

Use this forum for technical questions regarding tow vehicles.

Moderators: Mike Clay, Olbird

Tim

New Michelin TV Tires

Post by Tim »

I'm going to upgrade my 04 Chevy 2500HD Duramax tires from LT245/75R16E to LT26575R/16E tires which will give me an increased weight rating from 3032 to approx 3400 pounds per tire for my truck. My question is for those who have done this, was there a major change in tranny performance, odometer readings, and MPG. Did you have to buy a tuner to get the new tires synched with the TV on-board computer? Thanks, Tim
snoking

Re: New Michelin TV Tires

Post by snoking »

Tim wrote:I'm going to upgrade my 04 Chevy 2500HD Duramax tires from LT245/75R16E to LT26575R/16E tires which will give me an increased weight rating from 3032 to approx 3400 pounds per tire for my truck. My question is for those who have done this, was there a major change in tranny performance, odometer readings, and MPG. Did you have to buy a tuner to get the new tires synched with the TV on-board computer? Thanks, Tim

Check the width of your stock wheels. They do not meet the spec's for a 265 tire. You end up with a basketball shaped tire. Chris
bigbunkhouse
Cardinal Owners: 2007 362BHS

Post by bigbunkhouse »

on my f 250 I went from 265 75 16 to 315 75 16 I have not noticed any diff in performance or mileage, from what i figure the increase in inertia is balanced by the increase in rolling diameter. As far as speedo and odometer accuracy goes, I have figured that I am off by almost exactly 10% so I just do the math when I check for fuel economy and For instance if the speedo says 60 I;m really doin 66. As for oil changes, I do them every 5000 by the odometer which means it is actually 5500 miles. The truck has been this way since 91k miles and now has over 200k, and my jump in size is alot more than yours.Your stock 245 circumference is 95.82 in and the 265 is 99.6 in that means your about 4 % more than all your gauges say thats not much at all, in 100000k miles your only over 4000 miles.
2007 362bhs Cardinal (The mobile vacation home)
99 f350 4dr dually v-10 Lb 2wd 4.30 locker (Big Dually)
Dogs: Elvis and Priscilla
Me (Matt), Wifey (Jana), (Julia)14 year old daughter and ***SHYANNE*** born 8/12/10
Tim

Post by Tim »

Thanks for the replies. I also checked with a neighbor up the road who did the same thing, but does not pull a rig that much. He likes the change because it makes his truck "look nicer", but hates the fact that his DIC is no longer valid and the tranny is a bit sluggish. In addition, the Chevy dealer did not guarantee that they could reflash my 04 OBC for transmission and tire size. Lastly and most importantly and as stated, the rims really need to be about 1/2 inch wider to properly seat the tire and not have the basketball look. This smaller seating would also diminish the returns of having the heavier load rated tire. I'm sticking with the 245s.
Thanks, Tim
snoking

Post by snoking »

Tim wrote:Thanks for the replies. I also checked with a neighbor up the road who did the same thing, but does not pull a rig that much. He likes the change because it makes his truck "look nicer", but hates the fact that his DIC is no longer valid and the tranny is a bit sluggish. In addition, the Chevy dealer did not guarantee that they could reflash my 04 OBC for transmission and tire size. Lastly and most importantly and as stated, the rims really need to be about 1/2 inch wider to properly seat the tire and not have the basketball look. This smaller seating would also diminish the returns of having the heavier load rated tire. I'm sticking with the 245s.
Thanks, Tim
Check around dealerships and tire stores for a set of take off wider rims. FWI, there is a Chevy in the park here with large tires on the narrow rims and they really roll in at the bead. NOT GOOD. Chris
Tim

Post by Tim »

snoking wrote:
Tim wrote:Thanks for the replies. I also checked with a neighbor up the road who did the same thing, but does not pull a rig that much. He likes the change because it makes his truck "look nicer", but hates the fact that his DIC is no longer valid and the tranny is a bit sluggish. In addition, the Chevy dealer did not guarantee that they could reflash my 04 OBC for transmission and tire size. Lastly and most importantly and as stated, the rims really need to be about 1/2 inch wider to properly seat the tire and not have the basketball look. This smaller seating would also diminish the returns of having the heavier load rated tire. I'm sticking with the 245s.
Thanks, Tim
Check around dealerships and tire stores for a set of take off wider rims. FWI, there is a Chevy in the park here with large tires on the narrow rims and they really roll in at the bead. NOT GOOD. Chris
Chris,
And the rolling in is what I don't want. Ordered a set of Michelin LTX-MS 245s this morning. I'll have them put on this coming Tuesday.

Tim