Ford f-350

Use this forum for technical questions regarding tow vehicles.

Moderators: Mike Clay, Olbird

Old Goat

Ford f-350

Post by Old Goat »

HI
I have just recently purchased a new 2009 Cardinal 38BHQS trailer and 2008 F350 SRW Harley Davidson Edition truck. I live in Lethbridge, Alberta and am planning a trip in July to Tifino B.C. on Vancouver Island. My question is can anyone tell me if the f350 has enough braking power to handle the trip through the mountains.

Thanks
Rob
bigbunkhouse
Cardinal Owners: 2007 362BHS

Re: Ford f-350

Post by bigbunkhouse »

The truck and trailer TOGETHER will have pleanty! Use the tow haul in the tranny and let the engine do alot of the braking but as long as you don't overheat the brakes by riding them for miles at a time you will be fine. Make sure that everything is adjusted properly from the trailer brakes to the controller and take it easy
2007 362bhs Cardinal (The mobile vacation home)
99 f350 4dr dually v-10 Lb 2wd 4.30 locker (Big Dually)
Dogs: Elvis and Priscilla
Me (Matt), Wifey (Jana), (Julia)14 year old daughter and ***SHYANNE*** born 8/12/10
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Rob wrote:HI
I have just recently purchased a new 2009 Cardinal 38BHQS trailer and 2008 F350 SRW Harley Davidson Edition truck.
SWEET!!!!

Vancouver Island in a great place. We've done a lot of scuba diving on the island from Port Hardy to Sidney.

Rob
Olbird
Council, Asst. Admin
Cardinal Owners: 3850 RL

Post by Olbird »

You should have no problems, my Cardinal is just a little shorter then yours at 39' 7" and I pulled it for over two years with a F350 SRW and had no problems.
You could always have a problem under certain conditions when pulling any trailer that is heavier then the TV. You have two very nice rigs take your time and enjoy your trip.
George & Julie
3850 RL Full Paint w/ TrailAir Spring Ride System, Kodiak Disc Brakes, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Over 130 Mods

2022 Ford F450 DRW
PaulandTammy
Cardinal Owners: 2009 362BHLE

Post by PaulandTammy »

Bigbunkhouse hit the nail on the head. As long as your controller is adjusted properly you should be fine. In a perfect world the tow vehicle brakes stop the tow vehicle and the trailer brakes stop the trailer and should lead the tow vehicle brakes. Good luck.
PaulandTammy

09 362-BHLE
2011 Dodge 3500 CTD DRW
Old Goat

Post by Old Goat »

THANKS FOR ALL THE INFO!!
R0b
Chief409
Mojave Desert
Cardinal Owners: 2007 30WBLE

Post by Chief409 »

Use the Tow/Haul mode, keep an eye on the transmission and engine temp on long hard climbs, and never go down a steep hill fast. The old trucker rule of thumb is use the same gear going down as you used going up. To control the speed I apply the brakes hard enough to slow me down and then let the tranny hold the speed until more braking is required. With the disk brakes on all four corners of the F350 fade isn't as much a concern as it was with drum brakes, but I learned with drum brakes, and you also get better pad/disk life by letting things cool. And your trailer has drum brakes, so riding the brakes will cause you to end up with only the truck brakes when the trailer brakes fade out. I also apply the brakes briefly before cresting the top starting a steep downgrade as a brake check. If it doesn't feel right I stop then and recheck everything before going down the hill. My Dad didn't think that a doing a brake check was necessary when he owned and drove log trucks, but that's a long story. Short version, he lived. And sold the log trucks. :shock:

It sounds like you're going on a great trip. Keep us posted on how things are going.
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
2012 F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 Diesel Dually, Crew Cab, LWB, 50 gal Transfer Flow toolbox/tank
2007 Cardinal 30WBLE, "the 'Bird", ONAN gen.
The more I see in my travels, the more I realize there is so much more to see.
Heat84
Wife and three Queens and a King
Oh yes and my best buddy Lacey my dog
Cardinal Owners: 29ft
many add on like fireplace, central vacuum wet suspension just to name a few

Post by Heat84 »

I was wondering with the F 350 when towing do you tow in overdrive with the tow mode on or in 3 with the tow mod on??
And do you fine any difference in gas miles. Early last year I was getting 9.6 to 10.0,11 at times miles to a gal , Late in the year I got 12.6 miles. This year it's to soon to tell we havn'e been out yet. I usually put the tranmission in overdrive with tow mod , So I was wondering what others do. ?? ? ?
Thank you
Rob wrote:HI
I have just recently purchased a new 2009 Cardinal 38BHQS trailer and 2008 F350 SRW Harley Davidson Edition truck. I live in Lethbridge, Alberta and am planning a trip in July to Tifino B.C. on Vancouver Island. My question is can anyone tell me if the f350 has enough braking power to handle the trip through the mountains.

Thanks
Rob
MIKE & BRENDA
29'WBL FIFTH WHEEL
2006 FORD F-350 SUPER DUTY LARIATE
ALL THE WHISTLE AND BELLS
Full time summer
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Heat84 wrote:I was wondering with the F 350 when towing do you tow in overdrive with the tow mode on or in 3 with the tow mod on?
Hi Mike

With the Torque Shift transmission just leave it in overdrive and let the transmission and computer do their thing. It won't hunt in an out of overdrive like an older truck or car transmission would do.

Rob
Chief409
Mojave Desert
Cardinal Owners: 2007 30WBLE

Post by Chief409 »

I leave it in Tow/Haul and Drive always with the 'Bird on the hitch.
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
2012 F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 Diesel Dually, Crew Cab, LWB, 50 gal Transfer Flow toolbox/tank
2007 Cardinal 30WBLE, "the 'Bird", ONAN gen.
The more I see in my travels, the more I realize there is so much more to see.